Author Topic: Change.gov  (Read 30204 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Change.gov
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 01:45:35 AM »
"I'm not going to research this one tonight, so I might be wrong as I'm just going from memory, and feel free to dog-pile on me if I am wrong, but a Republican was in office at the end of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Gulf War I."

WW I - Wrong. Woodrow Wilson. Democrat.

WW II - Wrong. Harry Truman. Democrat.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
"I'm not going to research this one tonight, so I might be wrong as I'm just going from memory, and feel free to dog-pile on me if I am wrong, but a Republican was in office at the end of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Gulf War I."

Oddly enough, a democrat was also in office at the start of those, with the exceptions of Gulf War I and Korea....
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 02:03:31 AM »
Sort of.

America's first incursions into Vietnam came in the Eisenhower administration in the form of military and financial aid for the French. At the time of Dienbienphu, the US was paying nearly 80% of France's war budget.

The first American advisers went to Vietnam in the middle 1950s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 02:32:06 AM »
When did Republican supporters start thinking along the lines that wars are good?  It's a rhetorical question as I know the answer is somewhere between 2001-2004 but I continue to be amazed that Republican supporters think this nonsense is a good idea.
Somehow, the Republicans changed from the party of the constitution, low taxes, and limited government to the party of big government, pro-illegal immigration, low taxes, and blowing up Arabs.

May've been G.W. Bush's doing. He needed something to resonate with Americans. He'd cut taxes, sure - and that was about it. Support the troops = support the war = conservatism. So the Republicans became the Party of the Iraq War. As support for the war dropped, so did GOP majorities in congress. They were a one-issue party, and the public didn't like that issue any more.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:05 AM »
If we leave then Iraq WILL devolve into a civil war

Is there any proof of that prediction of yours?

Remember American troops ALREADY left Al Anbar and most of the cities.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 08:55:22 AM »
Are we in danger of another AWB?  Yes, but not much more than we were for the last two years.

The fact that the Dems picked up more seats is sufficient in and of itself to put us in a far worse position than the last two years.  The fact that the entire federal leadership is now adamantly anti-gun puts in the worst position we have been in terms of the RKBA in history.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »
The fact that the Dems picked up more seats is sufficient in and of itself to put us in a far worse position than the last two years.  The fact that the entire federal leadership is now adamantly anti-gun puts in the worst position we have been in terms of the RKBA in history.

Just ignore GigaBuist, I think he voted for the messiah.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 09:00:34 AM »
Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.
Isn't community service something given to convicted criminals?

What will the kids be called - Obama Youth (Obamajugend?) Young Pioneers?

This puts me in mind of a quote by Ayn Rand:

It stands to reason that where there is sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there is service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »
Wow.... AWB II is going to be real.

I only hope that it:

• Doesn't include all semi-autos
  • Has a grandfather clause.

Actually, maybe it shouldn't have a grandfather clause.  They are bound to push the RKBA community over the edge eventually - perhaps it's better if it's in one fell swoop?  Maybe after we're all criminals for mere possession of a once-legal object Obama will see some CHANGE

North Ireland; PIRA style change, that is.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
Wow.... AWB II is going to be real.

I only hope that it:

• Doesn't include all semi-autos
  • Has a grandfather clause.

Actually, maybe it shouldn't have a grandfather clause.  They are bound to push the RKBA community over the edge eventually - perhaps it's better if it's in one fell swoop?  Maybe after we're all criminals for mere possession of a once-legal object Obama will see some CHANGE

North Ireland; PIRA style change, that is.

No. People will turn them in.

Let's see. They can either get out of a hot shower, enjoy a gourmet meal with their family in a climate-controlled house, watch a football game in HD, then go out to their new SUV and...go off to an armed revolt and lose all of that for themselves and their family in the immediate reprisal, or....

...turn in their rifles and keep all of the former.

Which do you think it's going to be?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
No. People will turn them in.

Let's see. They can either get out of a hot shower, enjoy a gourmet meal with their family in a climate-controlled house, watch a football game in HD, then go out to their new SUV and...go off to an armed revolt and lose all of that for themselves and their family in the immediate reprisal, or....

...turn in their rifles and keep all of the former.

Which do you think it's going to be?

Truism.

95% will turn them in.  5% will bury, hide, or sell em on the black market.

And, life will, by and large, go on.  The change will become the new normal, like NFA 1934, GCA 1968 and FOPA 1986.

Time to find a new hobby, eh, Mand?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:52 AM »
Truism.

And, life will, by and large, go on.  The change will become the new normal, like NFA 1934, GCA 1968 and FOPA 1986.

What hobby?

I don't have any guns.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:38 AM »
Truism.

If we are already accepting it before it's proposed then 1) we guarantee it'll happen, 2) we deserve it, and 3) we should volunatirly give up the identity of citizens and become serfs, as that's what we are in our hearts.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »
Just ignore GigaBuist, I think he voted for the messiah.

You would be mistaken, unless you're referring to Chuck Baldwin as the messiah.

Damnit.  I knew that was going to happen.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »
If we are already accepting it before it's proposed then 1) we guarantee it'll happen, 2) we deserve it, and 3) we should volunatirly give up the identity of citizens and become serfs, as that's what we are in our hearts.

Mand has a point though.  Things aren't nearly bad enough here for and significant portion of the RKBA following to take up arms.  Not even close.  Not by a long shot.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »
What hobby?

I don't have any guns.

Welcome to the 5% club!

Our club is formed of people who use to own guns, but have now seen the light of reason and believe that all of societies crime problems stem from the legal, private ownership of firearms.

"What's that officer?  No, I don't have those anymore - after the presidents charismatic and enlightening speech about how privately owned arms are causing inner city crime problems, I promptly used the abrasive chop saw in the garage to whack up all the guns, then threw them out in last weeks trash."

anygunanywhere

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 10:18:11 AM »
Things aren't nearly bad enough here for and significant portion of the RKBA following to take up arms.  Not even close.  Not by a long shot.

This is the case if it not your ox being gored.

Anygunanywhere

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008, 10:28:41 AM »
I have to agree with Giga on something.  Yes the Dems picked up some extra seats in both the House and Senate.  But I would give you even odds that the seats that they picked up were more conservative Dems and would be against anymore gun laws.

And many of the sets picked up in 2006 went conservative to moderate democrats. 

Also, remember that politicians care most about staying in office.  If they feel that an AWB threatens those chances they will at the very least think twice. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 10:34:52 AM »
And many of the sets picked up in 2006 went conservative to moderate democrats. 

Also, remember that politicians care most about staying in office.  If they feel that an AWB threatens those chances they will at the very least think twice. 

Again. True Believers. And most of the "pro-2A" dems are FUDDs.

If they can wage an ad campaign that AKs are evil and should be "off the streets", and if the Republicans fumble the ball completely...again...they'll do it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 04:48:07 PM »
Things aren't nearly bad enough here for and significant portion of the RKBA following to take up arms.  Not even close.  Not by a long shot.

What is it with people and 'taking up arms'?

Seriously.

Have you considered protests? Hunger strikes? Peaceful noncompliance?

I don't see why there needs to be a dichotomy of "taking up arms OR working within the system" and that's it.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »
Have you considered protests? Hunger strikes? Peaceful noncompliance?

Liberal media. Not carried on nooz, page 26 one sentence in print.

Only thing that works is wearing a suit and fighting in court.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 04:54:56 PM »
Liberal media. Not carried on nooz, page 26 one sentence in print.

Then you must come up with an effective form of protest. More hell. Less corn.

Certainly beats doing nothing.

Only thing that works is wearing a suit and fighting in court.

Obama will soon be appointing judges.

Silveira wore a suit, did he not?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2008, 12:54:17 AM »

Remember American troops ALREADY left Al Anbar and most of the cities.

Sure. My crystal balls.

Realistically, the chances of a civil war are extremely good.

You have a separatist group in the North (the Kurds), you have two dominant religious factions that haven't liked each other for close to 1,000 years, and you have the incredible oil wealth of the nation.

In years past the only thing that held an all out civil war at bay was Saddam's ruthlessness and consolidation of power.

The same was true in Yugoslavia with Tito. Once he was gone, it wasn't long before Yugoslavia went into full-blown civil war mode.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2008, 02:24:17 AM »

Looks like Mr. Irwin beat me to it, but,

Umm... No that's why it's a prediction.  Although I'll admit I did state is as fact.  That's wht I get for typing with my dander up. I think the history of the region, plus the presance of multiple, violent seperatist factions can safely be predicted to lead to civil war once the stabalizing influance has removed prematurely.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the Agenda link at change.gov no longer lists the specifics.

Chris