Author Topic: Odd regional expressions  (Read 35471 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Odd regional expressions
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 12:46:27 PM »
When we would go to Oklahoma for our family reunions they would call them crawfish while we would say crawdads. Or was it the other way around, been a long time since then.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2008, 02:47:36 PM »
Down where I hunt in Southern Illinois just north of KAY-Ro (Cairo) and close to VIY-Enna. (Vienna), it's "Sodie" not Soda.

Thank G-D that those of us from Chicago speak proper English unlike the rest of you rural hicks....... =D :laugh:

There's Vienna, Georgia, pronounceded VI-EE-na.

Albany, New York is pronounced all-buh-nee. Albany, Georgia is pronounced ALL-benny.

A Southernism my dad used now and again to express amazement, surprise, or sometimes disgust, depending on where the emphasis was - "Well, sh*t fire and save matches."
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2008, 04:15:21 PM »
I love this stuff.  I use a lot of mid-western/southern isms, while my wife uses a lot of Michigan isms.  My wife also does that yes/no thing.  She'll say things like, "are you going to Krogers to pick up some Hamburg?"...to which I'll reply," I'm going to one Kroger to get some hamburger".  Then she'll ask if I'm going to get buns, to which I answer "yes"; then she'll say "no?" 99% of the time. 
I drive her and a lot of other people crazy by saying 'probably' or 'more than likely', when I mean absolutely yes. I'm not sure where that comes from....rural anywhere, more than likely. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
I love this stuff.  I use a lot of mid-western/southern isms, while my wife uses a lot of Michigan isms.  My wife also does that yes/no thing.  She'll say things like, "are you going to Krogers to pick up some Hamburg?"...to which I'll reply," I'm going to one Kroger to get some hamburger".  Then she'll ask if I'm going to get buns, to which I answer "yes"; then she'll say "no?" 99% of the time. 
I drive her and a lot of other people crazy by saying 'probably' or 'more than likely', when I mean absolutely yes. I'm not sure where that comes from....rural anywhere, more than likely. 

Hmm... I didn't realize it was a regional issue. I say "more than likely" as well. (Orignally from Illinois)

However, my favorite from Illinois are the city names. Far better than anything posted so far:

Cairo? Pronounced "KayRow"

Athens? Pronounced "Ay-thens"

New Berlin? Pronounced (as in NH) "New Ber' lin"

AND my all time favorite:

San Jose- pronounced, yes, you guessed it: "San Joes"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
Tierra Amarilla is a fun one out here...had trouble with it myself when I first arrived.

Spoken properly, it sounds like "Tierra Maria" but most gringos say it Tierra ama-RILL-uh.

State question is "Red or Green?", meaning which type of chile sauce to slather on your entree. I was asked that in a restaurant here and replied "Red or green what?" Response was "You're not from around here, are you?" =D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »
Another one. Ice cream places always have "frappe" on the menu.

The pronunciation I knew was "fra-PAY". It's French.

Nope. In New England, it's "frap".

You get your "frap" and your grinder (sub sandwich) at a little window at countless places in the summer.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2008, 04:38:53 PM »

There's Vienna, Georgia, pronounceded VI-EE-na.

Towns in Iowa

Madrid- Pronouced Mad-drid

Tripoli- Pronouced Tripola

Nevada- Pronouced Na Vada (first a short, second a long and final a is short)

Back home there was an old stage road that is a gravel road called Jamestown Road, the signs even say Jamestown Road, but everyone calls it Jimtown Road.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2008, 06:00:14 PM »
If you're asking for directions in Austin and someone tells you to take Lamar down to "manshack", don't pick up a guy named Lamar and go looking for a small shack.  You'll be looking for a street sign with "Manchaca" on it.  People who pronounce it like it's spelled are usually recent arrivals from California or Mexico.

There are a lot of regional Texas expressions, written here and there, that I've honestly never heard anyone say (and I've been here a long time).  One that is real, pretty common, and possibly odd is "more ____________ than you could shake a stick at"  example:  "When I hit the light on the back porch to see what was causin' the racket, I saw more coons than you could shake a stick at."
For entertainment purposes only.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
I was hitchhiking from Michigan to Alabama the summer of '61.  Going through Illinois.  Came upon a sign that said Peru.  I mentioned to the guy I was riding with, that it was funny naming a town in Illinois after a country.  He said no, it was pronounced Pee' roo.

We have a little town near us in Michigan named Ravenna.  But everyone including those who live there call it Rehvanna.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »
Revived ...?  I wasn't aware that it had ever feinted  :laugh:

Where did swordplay come into this?

Also Michigan contains both Hell and Paradise. Needless to say Paradise is in the UP.
Look, tiny text!

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2008, 08:01:20 PM »
Most obscure one I've heard& used is two terms used in the cleveland/akron ohio area to refer to the narrow strip of grass between the street curb and sidewalk. In cleveland it's the "tree lawn" which is a reference to parts of the city and suburbs that have large trees planted there, and in Akron area it's the "devil's strip" apparantely to scare children and keep them from playing too close to the road. I grew up near Cleveland and didn't know this was a regional term until I went to college in Michigan and a roommate looked at me like I had two heads when I asked him to help me "take the trash out to the tree lawn."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2008, 08:42:30 PM »
We always called that the "parking strip" (in Colorado) which was weird because you weren't supposed to park on it  :rolleyes:

The trouble with the so-called Southern expressions is that I just think that they're normal.  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »
My Canadian born-and-raised wife drives me NUTS with this pattern:

Her: <insert normal yes/no question here>
Me: "Yes."
Her: "No?"
Me: "YES!"

Argh! I said YES! Pressed on why she responds that way, the explanation is something about "just making sure" - as if a clear answer to a binary question wasn't clear.

Try this:

You: Yes.
Her: No?
You: No (meaning, "No, not 'no', but 'yes'").

The only one that comes to mind seems to be exclusive to northern New Mexico (from Santa Fe north): "¿que no?". It's used at the end of a sentence like, "right?" or "isn't it?" or "know what I mean?". I thought "no" by itself would be enough, but "que" is a strange word in Spanish. It can mean about half a dozen things depending on context.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »
I'd never heard the expression "a horse apiece" until I moved to WI. It means the same thing as "six of one, half dozen of another".

In far southern IL, I know folks who refer to all types of soda as "coke".

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
In far southern IL, I know folks who refer to all types of soda as "coke".

Same way in Georgia, Trapper. You get asked, "What kinda Coke you want? We got Co-Cola, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew..."
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »
We usually call it a Coke, or sometimes a pop, we never call it it a soda.

The correct term is, of course, "soda".
</sarcasm>
(Edit: clarification added for Uncle Bubba's benefit.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:16:36 PM by ctdonath »
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
Try this:

You: Yes.
Her: No?
You: No (meaning, "No, not 'no', but 'yes'").

I occasionally do that, but slightly different. She promptly gets flustered that I changed my answer, and I respond "well, you didn't like my first answer so I tried something else hoping that would satisfy you." Ducking usually follows.

When pressed for why she does this, it's about wanting confirmation and assurance for the first answer. "It's a yes/no question - what is it about 'yes' that you're having trouble with?" Ducking usually follows.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2008, 09:50:44 AM »
My last boss was from Oklahoma by way of New Mexico.

He was alwasy full of expressions. One of my favorites of his was "I'm busier than a one armed man in a paper hanging contest" of course I would reply "I'm busier than a cat trying to bury crap on a marble floor."

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »
My last boss was from Oklahoma by way of New Mexico.

He was alwasy full of expressions. One of my favorites of his was "I'm busier than a one armed man in a paper hanging contest" of course I would reply "I'm busier than a cat trying to bury crap on a marble floor."

Or my personal fav....Busier then a one legged man in butt kicking contest.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:24 AM »
A couple others...

In Southern IL, I've heard the highway referred to as "the slab".

My wife used to have some of her patients refer to having "the fleem" (i.e. phlegm).

In WI, the term "Nesco" will occasionally be used to reference any item brought to a pot-luck dinner.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
13 lined ground squirrels are refered to as "Road Boners" here. This is to to their activity of standing up in the middle of the road.

Uranus is a gas giant.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2008, 12:17:57 PM »
We have a little town near us in Michigan named Ravenna.  But everyone including those who live there call it Rehvanna.

Well, yeah, how else are you gonna pronounce it? :D

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
13 lined ground squirrels are refered to as "Road Boners" here. This is to to their activity of standing up in the middle of the road.

LMAO!

Chris

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »

The correct term is, of course, "soda".

The correct term is, of course, whatever it's called where you are;/ :rolleyes:

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
Referenced post corrected. Please re-read, Uncle Bubba.