Author Topic: Haul Master trailers  (Read 7787 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Haul Master trailers
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:04:42 AM »
Anyone have one or any experience with one?
I'm looking at this one in particular
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154
Will bigger tires fit it?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Haul Master trailers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:39:09 AM »
Pretty light duty.  1175 lb. capacity.

What are you going to use it for?

Jamisjockey

• friend
Haul Master trailers
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 12:00:18 PM »
Home duty.  Hauling stuff to the dump, picking up supplies, moving appliances, and for hauling extra gear when camping.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Azrael256

• friend
Haul Master trailers
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »
I don't much care for the tires, either, but for less than a ton of hauling they should be fine.  You can put bigger ones on there up to a certain point.  It looks like the hubs have four studs, and that fender will have to come off if you go much bigger.  My only other concern is that there appear to be two jacks behind the wheels, but none at the tongue.  That's not necessarily a sticking point, as anybody with sense enough to pour sand out of a boot can bolt on a jack at the tongue, but I would want to have all three.  Actually, I might be inclined to put it at the front end of the frame rather than on the tongue, if that didn't interfere with cargo space.  That way you could just jack it up and leave it somewhere if you wanted to.  

I think it's a decent trailer, but I would do a good bit of research before buying it.  Shop around and see if you can find one that meets your expectations out of the box.  If not, check the local welding shops for trailers.  Every shop I have ever seen has at least three trailers sitting out back waiting for a buyer.  They can also probably build you a custom trailer with everything you want for little more than this one.  If you come up with nothing going those routes, buy this one and modify it to your needs.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Haul Master trailers
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 12:59:43 PM »
Probably too light for those uses.  I have a 4x8 trailer with a one ton axle (1825 lb Capacity, trailer weighs 175 lbs.) and it is too light for any heavy hauling.  I use it for firewood, four wheeler, riding mower etc., but once I put 1700 pounds of pavers on it, and it was at its limit.

My little trailer was about $600 new.  Its great for firewood out of my meadow, because it is maneuverable, but if I need to carry something big or heavy, I use a 6x16 tandem with 7000 lb capacity.

Oh, a trailer that light won't need a front jack, my little one doesn't have one.

Stickjockey

• friend
Haul Master trailers
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 04:20:45 AM »
I've got one just like that. We use it for hauling camping gear, and general household hauling chores. The tires on it are fine, just be aware of the 45 mph limit. Cool little trailers.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

MaterDei

• friend
Haul Master trailers
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 07:03:01 AM »
That's a great deal.  I would like to be able to put mulch and dirt in it, how would you add sides to it?

Preacherman

Haul Master trailers
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 02:21:33 PM »
Materdei, see

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=441&pricetype=

and scroll down.  There's a wood lattice side kit shown a bit down the page, that can be fitted to that trailer.  There's also a solid-side trailer kit I've seen on their Web site - you'll have to search a bit - and also some trailers that come ready made for garden refuse, etc., with a box instead of a bed.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Jamisjockey

• friend
Haul Master trailers
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 03:54:05 AM »
I might rebuild the side gate so I can roll a trailer back there, this way I won't need the folding feature.
JD