Author Topic: Gun owners stockpiling over Fear of Democratic weapons ban  (Read 12974 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Gun owners stockpiling over Fear of Democratic weapons ban
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 02:08:39 AM »
It is really sad when I read comments like this:
The US Constitution, much like the Bible, is grossly outdated. Funny that people *still* take it word-for-word...

I really do wonder how many people would even care if we reverted to having a King. IT seems like some people really just don't give a squat about liberty anymore.  :(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 02:12:54 AM »
So, I'll leave the SKS's and AK's and all the other "assault" rifles out there and help the prices stay low.  Hopefully it might entice one of my neighbors to pick one up on a whim, since one of the gun nuts out there didn't snatch it off the market in a fit of hoplophilic compulsion.

Well, gee, that sounds elitist of you. And for the record, NO Kalashnikov pattern rifle sold on the general market is an "assault" rifle, as it does not have full auto capability. To the antis, your AR is an Assault Rifle. Your M-14 is an Assault Rifle. Even a little M-1, hell, even a Garand is an Assault Rifle.

Also, there's a world of difference between a basis SKS or a cheap WASR, and something like a Valmet or Arsenal AK...even the Saiga models are surprisingly accurate. A stock Arsenal 5.56 model will be way more accurate than a stock thin-barreled Mini 14 after a few rounds, that's for sure! It actually has a barrel of proper thickness and all.

For defensive purposes, since I am not part of a team that can back me up if my rifle jams, I will always pick gas piston reliability over direct impingement. I know I can drop it in mud, swish water through it, and it'll work. Having seen the conditions after Katrina...that could save one's life.

Don't throw AK owners and fans under the bus just because you prefer ARs that the antis consider exactly the same as the AK, both "assault rifles", even though they're not.

Oh, and as to why I have more than one of some types? Even AKs do not last forever. What happens if they're banned forever, and one day, 20 years hence, something cracks in the irreplaceable receiver? I've also seen plenty of videos of a bad round taking apart an AR's receiver, usually a fracture above the magwell. Can't buy another, ever. That's it.

Now what do you have?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:23:02 AM by Manedwolf »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 02:21:22 AM »

If you re-read my posts in this thread, everything has been directed towards the culture war, and not towards a run-and-gun conflict against our government.  Getting the guns in the hands of new gun nuts.  Expanding the gun culture.

Preach on!
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 02:23:18 AM »
And for the record, NO Kalashnikov pattern rifle sold on the general market is an "assault" rifle, as it does not have full auto capability.

I think that is why he put the quotes around it, because it really isn't an assault rifle. Also I do not believe he was hating on the AKs.

Just finished reading all of the comments, yeah I've got no life, and I must say, I feel really really worried now about where things are headed. I do believe that more than likely we will see new types of anti-gun laws, and possibly a new type of AWB. But now after reading those comments I can't help but think most people just won't give a damn. And after the so called "assault" weapons are gone they will then go after "hunting" weapons, I put hunting in quotes to because so called hunting weapons can and have been used in wars. And when they do that a lot of people might care, but who is to stop it?

:(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:36:08 AM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 02:32:44 AM »
Wow, both Maned and G98 are pissed at me now.

Sheesh.

"Assault" was in quotes to distinguish that the word was of dubious meaning, as we all know.  When anti's use that word, they lump in SKS's, AK's, AR's and everything else in there.  We all know that.

Nothing wrong with cheap rifles.  Cheap rifles make great ways to introduce new shooters to the responsibilities of self defense and the concepts of 2A, militia and government of the People.  Many cheap rifles are great rifles.

If I could justify the purchase personally, I would go out and buy an SKS, a Saiga and a host of other rifles.  I have nothing against these rifles.

I have no USE for these rifles.  I already have 2 fighting rifles that I have no problems with.  I should shoot those.

My AR is a far, far, far lower preference rifle to my M14.  I do have concerns over the direct impingement system, maned.  It got very filthy after an afternoon of about 200 rounds.  Disgustingly so.  It never failed on me, but I could see that failure as a real possibility within the next hundred rounds or so.  I much prefer piston systems.  I just went cheap on my AR since it was a backup to the M14, on which I absolutely did NOT go cheap.

I think a more effective means of protest of an anti-gun administration is to deliberately sell guns in private party transactions.  Have record attendance at gun shows, with record private party trades or sales.  Or, mass invitations of people to the shooting range near you.  Invite your office.  Invite your church.  Invite your next door neighbor.  Whatever.

Do something to increase demand for evil rifles beyond increasing the number of safes that current gun nuts have filled.  More rifles in more closets, under more beds, in more addresses.

NICS needs to see increased population density for new rifle purchases.  I'm sure the ATF has demographic analysis of all SSN's or persons phoned in and total number of NICS clearances.

If the volume of calls goes up or remains the same, but the demographics spread so that the average guns per household DROPS (due to new households with a first gun), then that information will get to the Democratic Leadership.  They will see gun ownership gaining traction and popularity.  They will leave it alone.

If guns per capita spikes here, though, we'll have a problem because we'll be seen as a narrow demographic.  We're hoarding, or stockpiling, or preparing for insurrection, or something stupid like that.

Buy what you like.  Shoot it lots.

But don't clean out your local store, and if it's the last gun on the rack and you're fine for guns, consider leaving it for someone else to buy who might really draw more political or real world benefit from it than you might.

At least that's my opinion, long winded and such as it might be.

And on that note, I bid you all a good night.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 02:43:14 AM »
Wow, both Maned and G98 are pissed at me now.

I'll stick with ya to the end... Of course my service doesn't come free, :P

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 03:06:30 AM »
I can't really argue with AZRedhawk's position. Gewehr and Maned why are you getting all worked up?
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 06:30:34 AM »
Wanna know what I'm doing?

I'm taking some n00bs to the range. 

A guy I bike with wants to buy a handgun.  He and his girlfriend shot some skeet this summer and loved it.  I'm taking them to the range Friday so they can try a variety of handguns.  If he's in town the same weekend as the gun show, he's going to go with me.  By the time Obama takes the oath, there will be at least one new gun owner.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
...the FUDDs and everyone else are very much against us...
Had an interesting conversation with a FUDD a while back. I was shooting one of my EBRs and he came up and began telling me how a person didn't need "one of those" to go deer hunting and that it was "people like me" who were going to get guns banned - and guns like mine OUGHT to be banned.

He was shooting a 'scoped Weatherby of some sort, so I replied "Well, you DO realize it was a 'scope sighted SNIPER rifle like yours that killed John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, don't you? Heck, you're old enough to remember Charles Whitman's Texas Tower shootings . . . I really don't see why people like you think they need a MURDER WEAPON like that. Why would a REAL hunter have to use a TELESCOPE? I think I'll write to my congressman and see about getting SNIPER RIFLES like yours banned."

The old coot got a mite upset . . . but maybe I planted a seed of doubt.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
Had an interesting conversation with a FUDD a while back. I was shooting one of my EBRs and he came up and began telling me how a person didn't need "one of those" to go deer hunting and that it was "people like me" who were going to get guns banned - and guns like mine OUGHT to be banned.

He was shooting a 'scoped Weatherby of some sort, so I replied "Well, you DO realize it was a 'scope sighted SNIPER rifle like yours that killed John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, don't you? Heck, you're old enough to remember Charles Whitman's Texas Tower shootings . . . I really don't see why people like you think they need a MURDER WEAPON like that. Why would a REAL hunter have to use a TELESCOPE? I think I'll write to my congressman and see about getting SNIPER RIFLES like yours banned."

The old coot got a mite upset . . . but maybe I planted a seed of doubt.

The only difference between a hunting rifle and a sniper rifle is what the target is, really. They need to remember that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
The only difference between a hunting rifle and a sniper rifle is what the target is, really. They need to remember that.

We need to remember that too ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

neviander

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »
They won't become household guns if gun nuts go out and buy them all up, and an executive order comes down barring importation of more of them.
True, but said gun nuts could later sell all those evil black rifles for huge profit, simultaneously arming a defenseless population, whether the ban was lifted, or there was outright civil war.  I hope that enough of the population would have come to their senses (and realize they really should have some means of defense like the founding fathers made provisions for in the constitution) either way, by that time.
VIVE CAPITALISM!!!   =D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:51:38 PM by neviander »
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
"They won't become household guns if gun nuts go out and buy them all up, and an executive order comes down barring importation of more of them."

Chances of them EVER becoming "household guns" are between slim and none.

If the millions of inexpensive SKS and AK variants didn't do that over the past several years, it wasn't going to happen no matter which scenario played out.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »
I wonder if a clever marketing campaign could fix that.  The "SKS" name has a lot going for it, actually.

Look at some of the marketing highlights from 5-10 years ago in the computer industry.

Windows XP
Mac OS X
Office XP (say it out loud)

There were a lot of products out a few years ago that heavily hinted phonetically at the word "sex."

SKS.

A campaign could be done.  I'm a horrid, wretched marketing or otherwise people-person, but I'm sure between Bogie and Oleg they could come up with something catchy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »
 :lol: I never thought of that. Your a dirty minded person,   :angel:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »

I like AK's for one simple reason.  I'm more experienced on them than any other rifle platform.   I've put MAYBE 10-20k rounds through AR type rifles.  I've put somewhere between 60-90k through AK platform rifles.  On the flip side, I'm also more experienced with teaching with M4/M16's, as I taught plenty of probably around a hundred teenagers from multiple countries how to operate, clean and feed M16/M4 rifles.  I can use an AR (or a FAL, or an Uzi, or whatever).   I *enjoy* shooting an AK.   It's just good clean plinking. 

Fudds at the range tend to get irrate when I tell them I don't and never have hunted deer.  I don't know and don't care if someone has 'the right to hunt'.  It's not in the Constitution and it's not my hobby.  Thing is, I don't feel the need to throw them under the bus.  I know they'd throw me under the bus in a heartbeat if they thought it'd exempt them in the first round of bans.  Apparently, Fudds ain't bright.  If they were bright, they'd know that their 'military grade sniper rifles' would be on the chopping block immediately after an EBR ban.  Support your allies and provide mutual support.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »
The biggest FUDD sellouts I've ever come across are the high-end shotgunners who view Sporting Clays ranges as their natural habitat and who get REALLY testy if you show up with a shotgun that costs less than the car you drove up in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
The biggest FUDD sellouts I've ever come across are the high-end shotgunners who view Sporting Clays ranges as their natural habitat and who get REALLY testy if you show up with a shotgun that costs less than the car you drove up in.

The sort who wear tweed caps and have something signed by Pietro Beretta himself?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
Truthfully, I wasn't that pissed off.

I do, however, want AZRH44 to see the bigger picture with respect to a wide-open RKBA forum, where gunowners, fence-sitters, and anti-gunners wanting to get a better feel for what we're about can do so without departing in disgust.  His choice of how he posted his message wasn't particularly geared towards that idea.

That's only fair, IMHO, particularly in light of who's sitting in the Oval Office during the course of the next 4 years.  =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »
I still contend that there was no anti- SKS/AK vocabulary other than clear fact that these two rifles aren't as accurate or enjoyable TO ME as higher quality American designs available.

I conveyed my heartfelt wish that every American household had an autoloading rifle.

And ultimately I suggested (evidently very scandalously), that gun nuts knock off the pointless "collecting" when serious RKBA problems are near on the horizon.  I presented the concept that maybe those rifles should be encouraged to find their ways into houses that aren't well populated with rifle collections already.

I challenge you to present any quote from me in this thread, left within context of the same post, that could be construed as anti-RKBA, pro-"Rev-War version 2.0" or otherwise defamatory to the RKBA community.

But, hey:  Maybe I deserve the quips about a fire mission on my house while I barricade myself behind a mountain of MRE's and comm gear, wear my duct tape trauma plates and make 0.125 MOA headshots from my assault wheelbarrow. ;/
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »

And you shoot better then they do too. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »
And ultimately I suggested (evidently very scandalously), that gun nuts knock off the pointless "collecting" when serious RKBA problems are near on the horizon.  I presented the concept that maybe those rifles should be encouraged to find their ways into houses that aren't well populated with rifle collections already.

Having been an ant, I feel absolutely no incentive to help the grasshoppers now that winter is upon us.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 04:23:43 PM »

A buddy of mine got sick of the smugness, bought a 870 and uglied it up something fierce.  Oh so carefully wearing away blueing here and there, meticulous carved 'dings' in the stock, added what looked like rust from any distance greater than 5 feet, etc.  Oh, and practiced for a couple months else where before showing up at a trap match filled to the brim with Fudds.  And won each match for the next six months.  Dude, you could almost taste the pure hatred and spite of folks with $10k shotguns losing to someone with an alleged Bubba special.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 06:45:39 PM »
AZ: explain to me again how less people who like guns buying EBR's magically translates into more FUDDs buying EBR's?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »
I think Remington Arms is trying to appeal to the hunters who see no need for a EBR with their R-15 and R-25 rifles.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536