Author Topic: Suggest good, inexpensive, simple dinners for two  (Read 5340 times)

ShrinkMD

Re: Suggest good, inexpensive, simple dinners for two
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 10:47:10 PM »
Brown rice and chick peas.  Plenty of fiber, healthy, doesn't cost anything, and tastes great.

Make the brown rice per box directions.

For the chick peas, if you open the can, just dump it into a saucepan with maybe a tablespoon of garlic powder and almost a 1/4 teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes (check out penzeys.com, they are the best http://penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html)

If you have some frozen salmon burgers and toss them (once cooked) onto some nice whole wheat bread or a roll with a little BBQ sauce, you're full and happy.  The rice can take 45 min to cook, but you can get everything else ready while it is simmering, and then it can all be hot and ready together.  Or if you toaster oven cook the salmon burgers, they might be ready first.

Guy cooking at its best, but the family likes it.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
I will fry up a pound or two of bacon at a time.  Put it in a baggy or other container and place it in the freezer.  Now for bacon and eggs, BLT, omelet or whatever reason, just take out the amount of bacon you need and warm in the microwave.   I use a full sized grill to cook the bacon and can cook about 9 pieces at a time.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 01:28:49 AM »
A bit high on the Na (sodium), but adding some freash chopped veggies like carrots, celery, radishes, tomatoes and frozen mixed veggies along with some tofu to a package of ramen noodles makes an exemplary simple meal for two.  For desert slice up some pears and garnish with raspberry yogurt drizzled with honey, some candles and a bottle of Mead and you have a recipe for romance.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.