Author Topic: O'Bama to Move Against State Concealed Carry Laws  (Read 14683 times)

Waitone

• friend
O'Bama to Move Against State Concealed Carry Laws
« on: November 14, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »
So the debate is how soon will the new president move against state concealed carry laws.
http://www.investors.com/editorial/editorialcontent.asp?status=article&id=292204370724337&secid=1501
Obama Misfires On Concealed Carry

INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 4/4/2008

Gun Control: Barack Obama says he won't take folks' guns away as long as they're hunters. But when the hunted are his constituents, well, that's different: He opposes concealed carry and the right to self-defense.

There's something about an election that brings out the sportsman in a Democratic presidential candidate. Recall John Kerry's sudden fondness for hunting four years ago.

And speaking in Idaho earlier this year, Barack Obama told the crowd, "We got a lot of hunters in the state of Illinois, and I have no intention of taking away folks' guns."

Except he does.

In a 1996 questionnaire, Obama wrote that he "supported banning the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns." He says now that the survey was filled out by an aide who misrepresented his views. Yet his record since then is consistent with that view. Never mind that Illinois and the other 49 states have a lot of two-legged predators.

Illinois resident Hale DeMar was prosecuted by the town of Wilmette for using a handgun to defend his home in 2003. Wilmette had imposed a ban on the possession of handguns, in effect making the town a gun-free zone.

To correct the situation, several Illinois state legislators introduced SB 2165 to protect the right of self-defense for residents like DeMar. Obama voted against the bill.

That self-defense bill protecting the right to bear arms for law-abiding citizens such as DeMar passed the Illinois state Senate and was enacted into law over the governor's veto (and Obama's opposition).

It's no surprise, then, that Sen. Obama has come out in opposition to concealed-carry laws. In anticipation of an April 16 debate in Philadelphia on the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, Obama told the Pittsburgh Tribune: "I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations."

According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 65.7% of the U.S. population lives in the 39 right-to-carry states, and there's no indication such laws have turned our neighborhoods into the O.K. Corral. To the contrary, all the stats we've seen show a steep decline in murders and violent crimes after a state adopts a right-to-carry law.

Virginia is one of those states, but the only one who had the right to carry last April 16 was Seung-Hui Cho. He shot 32 people to death on a Virginia Tech campus that had declared itself gun-free.

One wonders if Cho would have even walked on campus with a gun if he knew his victims would be able to defend themselves. Or how the story would have been different had professor Liviu Librescu, a Holocaust survivor who lost his life barricading a classroom door so his students could escape, had been able to fire back.

On the subject of the total ban on gun ownership in the District of Columbia, a Second Amendment case before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Nov. 23 Chicago Tribune said Obama believes in the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives. Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional.

As pointed out by John Lott, senior research scientist at the University of Maryland, the D.C. murder rate fell three times faster than surrounding Maryland and Virginia in the five years before the 1977 ban, but rose nearly four times faster in the five years afterward. Since 1977, there has been only one year (1985) when the D.C. murder rate was lower than in 1976.

Obama's Web site says: "He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting" (emphasis ours).

Not, apparently, for you to protect your wife and children.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

ronnyreagan

Re: O'Bama to Move Against State Concealed Carry Laws
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:51:58 PM »
So the debate is how soon will the new president move against state concealed carry laws.
My guess would be never.
Unless you have some info besides a 7 month old article that mentions a survey from 12 years ago?

I'm not saying he supports CCW, but it seems an even lower priority than an AWB and even that happening is debatable. People are way too worked up about things that aren't even proposed yet.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »
I am more concerned about an AWB along with maybe smaller changes added as riders to other bills.  I wouldn't put it past them to go for everything, but I hesitate to think they would go beyond round 1 on changes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:09:42 PM »
My guess would be never.
Unless you have some info besides a 7 month old article that mentions a survey from 12 years ago?

I'm not saying he supports CCW, but it seems an even lower priority than an AWB and even that happening is debatable. People are way too worked up about things that aren't even proposed yet.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=16246.0

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »
My guess would be never.

You are kidding, right?  Right?.

From his website, buried under 'Urban Policy':http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/urban_policy/#crime-and-law-enforcement

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

What, precisely is "debatable" in that paragraph? 
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

ronnyreagan

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »
What, precisely is "debatable" in that paragraph? 

So you believe an AWB is 100% already guaranteed from the Obama administration? I'm not saying the support isn't there, but it is not a foregone conclusion that it will actually pass, or even be brought forward. If it is attempted and fails do you really think they'll move right on to banning CCW so that they lose worse than in 94? I'm saying an AWB would happen before any shenanigans with CCW and I doubt anything successful would even happen with an AWB.

Why are people wasting their time crying about things that aren't happening? When something actually happens that we can fight against, sure make some noise and do everything you can. But railing against possible things Obama might do is ridiculous.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »
Don't confuse Ronnyreagan with facts, Xavier.  ;)

Fact is, Obama is on record as beign 100% behind a permanent reinstatement of the '94 AWB, with no sunset clause.

It's somewhat interesting (in the Chinese sense of the word) that his website took down that little tidbit shortly after the election.

That doesn't mean it's no longer on their agenda...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

ronnyreagan

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »
Don't confuse Ronnyreagan with facts, Xavier.  ;)

Yeah, sorry. I'll get with the program and join in with the irrational panic, that will certainly make everything OK. :cool:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:43:17 PM »
I have to fall in the "watch for actual, I don't know, ACTIONS, before freaking out" camp.

We can work ourselves into a daily lather chicken-littling about "what-ifs", but that energy could be used much more practically by, say, making sure our state and federal legislators are aware that we are watching them on the topic...

Taking a non-shooter to the range...

Writing intelligent, well-reasoned and for G-d's sake proofread letters to the editor...

Stuff like that.

Or we can go preach to the converted online ad nauseum about how "them Demonrats gonna be takin our gunz".  :rolleyes:
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »
Taking a non-shooter to the range...

Mike and I did that tonight.  Took a guy I bike with and his girlfriend to the range and introduced him to a variety of guns such as 38specials, 357mag, 41mag, 44mag, 9mm, 45acp, and my AR-15.  Knowing I was a shooter, he approached me about handgun info for home defense and general shooting.  I invited him to the range, it was all downhill from there. ;)

The guy likes the 45acp and AR-15, the girl liked Mike's "pre Model 10".

Between the 4 of us, we burned up about 400 rounds of handgun ammo and 120 in the AR.

Chris

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:09:10 PM »
That's two more voices on our side when the time to talk to legislators comes.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:46:35 AM »
Writing intelligent, well-reasoned and for G-d's sake proofread letters to the editor...

Let's not be unreasonable here.  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »
"Yeah, sorry. I'll get with the program and join in with the irrational panic, that will certainly make everything OK."

Which is better in the long run?

Panic, or a near catatonic state of blissninny "Everything is all right now and it's always going to be all right!"

Both a pretty damned scary.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 08:16:33 AM »
Yeah, sorry. I'll get with the program and join in with the irrational panic, that will certainly make everything OK. :cool:

Step away from the bong. We have an antigun president-elect, an antigun vice-president elect, an antigun Speaker of the House, and if the voter fraud in Minnesota goes as planned, we might have a 60-seat Democrat takeover that can ram anything through they damn well please. Obama's opinions as to concealed carry are quite well known...he wanted a national ban for all but retired police and military.

If that doesn't concern you, you probably don't even carry a firearm daily for self defense.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 08:21:40 AM »
I am more concerned about an AWB along with maybe smaller changes added as riders to other bills.  I wouldn't put it past them to go for everything, but I hesitate to think they would go beyond round 1 on changes. 

I agree with you on the riders....I expect gun control to be attached to every bill from the budget to health care "reform" to military spending....

...and he'll use every executive power (BATFE, OSHA, etc.) to push gun control as well.

I'm not panicking....but I AM preparing for a 4-year siege on my SD rights....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 08:57:07 AM »
If that doesn't concern you, you probably don't even carry a firearm daily for self defense.

Never felt the need to but even if I wanted to, Wisconsin doesn't allow it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 08:58:54 AM »
Never felt the need to but even if I wanted to, Wisconsin doesn't allow it.

Then you have no stake in this game. I do.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »
Wiskonsin is an open-carry state.

http://opencarry.org/wi.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:17:39 AM by MicroBalrog »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 09:11:31 AM »
Since when?

Wisconsin is both a shall-issue and an open-carry state.

Um. MB?

You REALLY need to brush up on your states before coming to the US. What do you think that top state in red is right in the middle?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 09:16:54 AM »
Ah. I'm an idiot. Normally I'm better at this map stuff.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »
And fixed. It is after all an open-carry state.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »
That's not red, it's orange.
Look, tiny text!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
O'Bama to Move Against State Concealed Carry Laws

Gee, before the election he was hollerin' about how it should be up to the states and cities to determine their own level of RKBA.  Now he wants to use the Fed to override the states ?
 ;/

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
"Yeah, sorry. I'll get with the program and join in with the irrational panic, that will certainly make everything OK."

Which is better in the long run?

Panic, or a near catatonic state of blissninny "Everything is all right now and it's always going to be all right!"

Both a pretty damned scary.

If you can point to blissninny speech I'd like to see it.

What I see are people not wanting to act like frightened children as mere chicken-little "what-ifs" are raised.

You know, being adults?

Until Obama is in office, and until he and the anti-gunners move against guns, there is nothing to object to except smoke and supposition.

That's moronic behavior.

Once he makes his particular defined actual move, THEN it is appropriate to move to counter.

You can't seriously be stating that we all don't already know what those potential moves are. 

We have seen them all before, why bother restating them ad nauseum for the next two months like a pile of pants-wetting Captain Obvious's?

;/

Thinking about it, at this point these "nothing new to report" news article postings tread very close to "Obama Derangement Syndrome" as they are speculative bitching.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »
We can safely predict the agenda.  This is a good time to start planning our response strategy.

To the lawyers in the community, is there some way the 9th Amendment can help us?  (Innate right to self-defense)
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.