Author Topic: TV: revolting shows are nothing new  (Read 1541 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
TV: revolting shows are nothing new
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:02:53 AM »
While flipping through the channels the other night, I came across a game show featuring a young married couple. The apparent goal of the show is to get one of the spouses to confess to things that could ultimately sink the marriage.

In the episode I saw, the young wife was asked if she was still in love with her former boyfriend. (Apparently questions had been asked of both spouses ahead of time). When she answered that she was, they gained points. She was then asked if she would marry her old boyfriend instead of her current husband if it were possible. She again answered in the affirmative, and the couple were apparently on their way to winning a larger prize (although the husband's expression suggested the ultimate prize would be divorce).

I thought this was the most disgusting TV show I'd ever seen. Then I remembered a show from the 1960's called "Queen for a Day."

In this game show, several wives would tell their hard luck stories: husband lost his arm in an accident; child was crippled by polio; mother had died in a car accident.

The more tragic the story, the better. When all of the women had told their stories, the audience was invited to applaud for their favorite hard luck story. An applause meter picked the winner, who received a new washer/dryer, or a new TV, or refrigerator, or some such appliance.

Even at my young age, I realized there was something bizarre and completely wrong with this, although I couldn't nail it down.

I don't know why I bring this up, except that I'm reminded again that people's appetite for the revolting is nothing new.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Re: TV: revolting shows are nothing new
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »
That lie detector show, where the entire point is to crush your family with things they shouldn't know, makes me sick.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:14 AM »
At least we're not watching people get eaten by lions anymore.  (unless at a magic show in Vegas)

But yeah, I've seen "Moment of Truth" twice and it is sickening.  I don't know who's more stupid, the watchers, or the people that choose to go on that show, knowing how it works.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:52:23 AM »
At least we're not watching people get eaten by lions anymore.  (unless at a magic show in Vegas)

But yeah, I've seen "Moment of Truth" twice and it is sickening.  I don't know who's more stupid, the watchers, or the people that choose to go on that show, knowing how it works.

Ah, the old chicken or the egg question...

I've never seen that show, only the commercials for it.  Those alone made me sick.  I don't think I could handle watching the actual show.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:34:10 AM »
Ah, never watched Japanese games shows I take it...  :lol:

I remember "Queen for a Day" though I don't remember the details except she'd end up on a throne with a royal cape (or whatever) and a crown. I was pretty young when that was on so you must be older than me, you poor SOB.  =D

Watched a bit of "Bones" last night. The found a dead lady roasted in the big oven during their flight to China. The stewardess comments how she can't get the smell out of her head and "Bones" says, "It smells a lot like roast pork." That was a bit on the sick side if you ask me.  =|
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:55:39 AM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
I don't know why I bring this up, except that I'm reminded again that people's appetite for the revolting is nothing new.

Bread and circuses, anyone? Frankly, I think gladiatorial contests would be considerably more honest.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »
I haven't watched a game show in a loooooonnnng time.  The one mentioned by the OP was pretty low.
I guess that's what passes for TV these days . . . . :mad: =(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »

Watched a bit of "Bones" last night. The found a dead lady roasted in the big oven during their flight to China. The stewardess comments how she can't get the smell out of her head and "Bones" says, "It smells a lot like roast pork." That was a bit on the sick side if you ask me.  =|

Early in my biomedical engineering career, I had the opportunity to watch the implantation of a device that I was developing.

Never before had I been in an operating room as an observer; I was about 25 years old.

Anywho, surgeon starts opening patient using a cauterizing scalpel. I start feeling woozy and lightheaded, and apparently it's obvious.

One of the nurses leans over, smiles and says to me, "Smells like lamb cooking, doesn't it?"

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:21:19 PM »
"That would be the butt, Bob..."  =D

I still laugh whenever I see that 1977 clip from The Newlywed Game.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »

I once got about a three inch from 1500F molten aluminum burn on my hand and wrist. The skin was completely charred and smelled pretty much like steak charred on the grill.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G