Author Topic: A SEAL Team could take care of this BS...  (Read 24650 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: A SEAL Team could take care of this BS...
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »
Yeah, killing one 18 member pirate crew and rescuing one ship is not going to save the next super tanker, even though it needs doing of its own accord.

I'm trying to comment on the bigger picture.

The bigger picture?  You're kidding, right?
The only bigger picture that would make any sense would be making life harder for criminal pirates to do business.  The choice between allowing them to continue to thrive and interrupt international commerce vs. killing as many of them as possible is an easy one.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2008, 10:42:10 PM »

The bigger picture?  You're kidding, right?
The only bigger picture that would make any sense would be making life harder for criminal pirates to do business.  The choice between allowing them to continue to thrive and interrupt international commerce vs. killing as many of them as possible is an easy one.

Yeah, but the question of how to kill and disrupt as many of them as possible is not, which I thought was what went on here in this thread.

I don't see anyone saying "leave the pirates alone, it's a waste of time."  I do see myself mentioning that shouting and cheering "kill them! send in the marines!" is not necessarily going to solve the problem.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
The choice between allowing them to continue to thrive and interrupt international commerce vs. killing as many of them as possible is an easy one.

Nobody suggested they should be allowed to continue to thrive. The question is which is the best way to kill them all.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:53 PM »
If nothing else, it'd be great PR.

Don't we have spy sats that could find 'em?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 11:11:42 PM »
Ridiculing the most obvious solution is silly.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 11:46:22 PM »
Honestly the people who have oil tankers or other valuable ships in the area SHOULD hire mercenaries and order them to kill anyone attempting to come on board without proper authorization.

I'd love to be a shotgun rider on a merchant ship.  =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »
Yeah, but the question of how to kill and disrupt as many of them as possible is not, which I thought was what went on here in this thread.

I don't see anyone saying "leave the pirates alone, it's a waste of time."  I do see myself mentioning that shouting and cheering "kill them! send in the marines!" is not necessarily going to solve the problem.

No way to solve their cultural issues that grow kids into pirates.

Mind you, piracy was an issue for the Axumite Empire (circa 200 BC to 700 AD).  The Axumite empire was based on sea trade, basically the only alternative to the Silk Road.  Peasants from Somalia up to Yemen often moonlighted as pirates with dreams of quick wealth.  The problem was never and will never be 'solved'.  You can only do what the Axumites themselves did for nearly a thousand years.  If you catch them, kill them.  An amusing activity amoung the Axumite marines was to use captured pirates as live shark bait.  It'd work, for a while, then some damn fools would try it again.   

The north eastern African coastal region only has ocean trade as their primary economy.  The soil isn't that great for crops, and they've never shown a wide interest in manufacturing.

'Kill them' is the only solution even on a temporary basis proven to work with pirates in the region according to written records going back almost three thousand years.  Do you have a better suggestion that is plausible and hasn't been tried in the past?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2008, 07:37:01 AM »

Nothing is going to solve the problem entirely, sans the damn insurance companies stopping the payments of ransom. 
My Marine Corps has a fine tradition of dealing with Africian Pirates. 
A MEU(SOC) with a compliment of seals would be the simplest and best way to deal with it.  The Somalis already fear Marines.  When a MEU was used to secure Mogadishu and its port for Operation Restore Hope, the warlords immediately went to the negotiating table.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2008, 07:57:56 AM »
how much of that hope is left now in somalia though
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »

Nothing is going to solve the problem entirely, sans the damn insurance companies stopping the payments of ransom. 
That is the key tight there.  You can kill as many as you want but if they make $10m at a pop, it won't matter.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »

'Kill them' is the only solution even on a temporary basis proven to work with pirates in the region according to written records going back almost three thousand years.  Do you have a better suggestion that is plausible and hasn't been tried in the past?

I'm re-reading my posts to see where I suggested that they should not be killed.  I do not see it.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »
Ridiculing the most obvious solution is silly.

Chanting "Kill them!" is not a solution-a plan for doing so that will have realistic impacts on the pirates is more like it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2008, 09:07:09 AM »
Chanting "Kill them!" is not a solution-a plan for doing so that will have realistic impacts on the pirates is more like it.

Killing them is a plan, a solution.   Word travels fast even in a region like that.  If we begin making it harder for them to do business, they will begin rethinking their business model.
JD

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »
Killing them is a plan, a solution.   Word travels fast even in a region like that.  If we begin making it harder for them to do business, they will begin rethinking their business model.

The question is "how".

Note that the Saudis seem to have adopted Shootin's solution and siced the islamists on them.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2008, 12:34:50 AM »
The question is "how".

Note that the Saudis seem to have adopted Shootin's solution and siced the islamists on them.

It was a good idea-you get people who know the terrain, already know all the players, and are relatively cheap to supply/pay in comparison to a multi-billion dollar western expeditionary force.  Plus, they live there-so it's not like the pirates can just wait them out by laying low for a while.

My point is that I don't think it's clear that sending in a few naval ships will actually make it that much harder for them to do business-it's a big sea, a big coastline, and they don't have beacons saying "kill me, I'm a pirate."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
Did the Saudi's sic the Islamists on them, or did the Islamists do it on their own hook?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »
It was a good idea-you get people who know the terrain, already know all the players, and are relatively cheap to supply/pay in comparison to a multi-billion dollar western expeditionary force.  Plus, they live there-so it's not like the pirates can just wait them out by laying low for a while.

My point is that I don't think it's clear that sending in a few naval ships will actually make it that much harder for them to do business-it's a big sea, a big coastline, and they don't have beacons saying "kill me, I'm a pirate."

He who lies down with dogs, wakes up with fleas.  Doing business with islamofacisorrists is bad policy. 
JD

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
He who lies down with dogs, wakes up with fleas.  Doing business with islamofacisorrists is bad policy. 

The US has been doing 'business' with unsavory groups throughout its history. Part of international politics is that you are forced to deal with foreign, evil smacktards, many of whom wouldn't recognize the idea of morality if it bit their nose off.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »

Carpet bombing them back to the stone age.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2008, 05:21:06 PM »

This is Somalia we're talking about....what exactly would change after a carpet bombing?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2008, 06:03:10 PM »
This is Somalia we're talking about....what exactly would change after a carpet bombing?

Now it is you who are not correct - Somalia actually has some amazing 21st-century stuff - such as a surprisingly advanced IT industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalia#Telecommunications

erictank

• friends
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »

The stones would be smaller, and there'd probably be fewer would-be pirates picking them up?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »
Mike appeasement doesn't work.  An upgrade to the stone age wont help  :laugh:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
Now it is you who are not correct - Somalia actually has some amazing 21st-century stuff - such as a surprisingly advanced IT industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalia#Telecommunications

Wow, would not have guessed.  How do they power the networks!?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »
The US has been doing 'business' with unsavory groups throughout its history. Part of international politics is that you are forced to deal with foreign, evil smacktards, many of whom wouldn't recognize the idea of morality if it bit their nose off.

Sept 11th should have taught us the folly of that policy.
JD