Author Topic: I need some biblical reasoning for defense both personal and country  (Read 1284 times)

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
I am looking for a web site that I had that had some good Biblical reasoning for maintaining a standing army and for going to war

The site also had some good reasoning on self-defense/personal protection

ALSO What do you folks think/have for bbiblical support for these concepts
Brian
<><
:)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend

toro

I need some biblical reasoning for defense both personal and country
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 10:03:20 AM »
Brian Williams

Try Goggle and type in "Some Introductory Notes on the Biblical Ethics of War."

1.  It has the Holy Wars of Israel
A.  The Wars of Judgement (waged against the Canaanites and Amalekites.)
with scriptures.
B.  The wars of Defense (waged against all other Agressors.)

Both Testaments confirm that force if required in the exercise of justice
See Genesis 9:6 and Romans 13:1to7.
For the New Testament view of soldiers in the service of Rome, see Luke 3:14 and Acts 10:31.

In other waords a "just war" is one whose cause is just (self-defense) and whos prosecution is just (only combatants and their accomplices are targeted) but whose principal objective is to secure not justice but peace.  (Only God can judge between the nations.)

Mrs. Toro

===============================
Romans 13:1to7      

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.  For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:  For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. For this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 10:21:13 AM »
Somewhere in the NT is counsel to "...insofar as possible, live at peace with your neighbor..."  Seems to me that the allusion is that it may not be possible at times.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »
Jesus said in Luke 22:36: "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
Exodus 22-2-3:
2   If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.
3   If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

Hmmm.....sell thieves into slavery...I like it!

Proverbs 25:26
26   A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring.

Nehmiah 4:14-18
14   And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.
15   And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work.
16   And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah.
17   They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon.
18   For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me.

http://www.ryanhicksministries.com/weapons.htm
He's done a nice job of gathering such information.

BTW, I believe in many of the teachings of the bible.  I just don't believe in God or that Jesus was the saviour.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »
"Cut 'em off at the knees."

Paul to the Kentuckians, iii.45
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.