Author Topic: Dog Bark Control?  (Read 6121 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Dog Bark Control?
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
Evidently the neighbors are getting driven nuts by my dog barking all day while I'm gone at work.  He's got a doggy-door thru which he can get in and out of the house, and he has a merry old time barking at shadows, ghosts and other figments of his neurotic little imagination.

The neighbor-hens conversed amongst themselves with the stereotypical "somebody should DO something!" mentality that only soccer-moms seem to be able to completely master, and were contemplating a call to animal control or something like that.

One of the sensible men-types in the adjacent households took the rational first step and came over and actually told me about the problem.  Very kind of him.

I admitted that the dog does have a bit of a barking problem and that I would research remedies.  In the meantime, I'm blocking off the doggy-door so if he does bark, at least he does it from inside the house rather than outside.

I don't want to come home some day to find my dog got fed a lethal dose of ex-lax, or was let loose in the neighborhood to roam (and get hit by a car), or was taken by the pound.  I need to be a good neighbor, and this is behavior correction that my dog needs anyways.

So... remedies.

I've seen a few different type of bark collars.

1.  Shock collars.
2.  Supersonic audible collars.
3.  Scent collars.

Suggestions as to what works and what doesn't?  He's a 3 year old lab mix, about 55 pounds, with something a bit territorial mixed in there.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Dog Bark Control?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:43 PM »
I'm the only person in my neighborhood with sense enough to call the county. I'm @#$%^&*(! sick and tired of having to listen to untrained dogs for hours on end.

I don't make other people listen to my guitar or dump trash in their yards, so why should I have to listen to their wretched mutts?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:05:17 AM by Standing Wolf »
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:47:46 PM »
My neighbor with the barking dog doesn't believe his dog barks incessantly, because it only barks when they're not home. And they're usually gone all weekend, every weekend.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
My mother used a scent collar with her dog and it seem to have done the trick. Does he get any excercise before you head out to work, or do he just go out to do his buisness? Quite often the non stop barking is just blowing off some boredom. If he gets a good workout before you leave, that may go a long way towards curing him with out resorting to any other measures. Sometimes that isn't an option though I know. Cheers,
Shawn

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:22:31 AM »
I'd like to give a tip o' the hat to Redhawk's neighbor for coming over to kindly say, "Dude, your dog's driving everybody nuts.", and another to Redhawk for for accepting the information and dealing with the situation. That's how it works, folks.

(Now, a little story and recommendation for DJJ)

Would that a neighbor I had a few years ago had been more like Redhawk. She had a yappin'-ass Pomeranian that barked at every-damn-thing whenever it was let out of the house - squirrels, cars going by (and I live on a five-lane road so there's a lot of traffic), tree branches waving in the breeze, everything. I found out over time that the dog was one of those that hates everybody except its owner and barks and bites accordingly. Because of that, when the owner wasn't home one of her children (she had several who lived with her at different times) would shove the dog outside so it'd be peaceful inside for them and they wouldn't have to worry about it biting one of the little grandchildren.

Unfortunately for me and mine that meant we had to hear it bark. Let me say that I'm not one to live in a bubble, the house closed up with the AC on from Spring through Fall and the heat cranked up in Winter. When the weather is good I like to have the windows open and the attic fan on to enjoy the fresh air. This neighbor's fence is only thirty feet from my bedroom window and that part of both yards is nearest the road, so that's where the dog would take up station.

We dealt with it for a little while, and then early one morning the dog woke me from a sound sleep. I got into shorts and a t-shirt, stumbled blearily next door, and asked the woman to please either quiet the dog or take it back inside. She apologized and said she would. OK there, everybody got along.

A week or so later, again early in the morning, the dog woke my pregnant wife out of a sound sleep. I went over again and asked her the same as before. She again said she would, and did. OK again.

Now, between these incidents it ain't like the dog wasn't heard at all. They would let it out to relieve itself, and we would hear it barking, in the mornings before the owner went to work, in the afternoons when her youngest got home from school, in the evening when she got back home, and a bit late before she went to bed. It was tolerable, though, so we didn't make anything of it. Until she started working more, and had more kids move in, and those kids had kids, and that's when they started putting the dog outside all the time.

The last straw for me was when we had a cookout and get-together one Saturday a few weeks after the second encounter. I was outside setting up picnic tables and straightening up the yard and the dog started yapping because he could hear but not see me. I'd been trying for a while to get him used to the sound of my voice, like I've done countless times with other dogs over the years, but this little furball wouldn't play along. He just kept yapping. So, I went next door and asked neighbor to either quiet the dog or take him in, because I didn't want to spend the evening listening to him yap at me, my family, and our guests while we were trying to enjoy ourselves. Again, she said she'd take care of it, but this time she gave me a dirty look and spoke in a tone dripping with venom. It was over an hour before she took the dog inside.

I'd had enough, so called Animal Control. AC said to keep a ten-day log of dates and times when the dog barked, take it to them, and they'd handle it from there. I did so, neighbor got a warning, and things were quiet for a month or so. Then it started up again, so I kept another log and turned it in, and this time the owner got a citation. I was subpoenad but didn't have to testify, my log was entered into evidence and the judge gave her a hefty fine but also gave her a break by suspending part of it as long as she kept the dog quiet.

Coolness, right? For a few months, yeah, and then she and her kids slipped back into bad habits. So, I kept another log and turned it in. Neighbor got another citation, and this time I was called to the stand and asked to verify that the log presented was indeed mine, and to flesh out a tale I'd included in it: My wife and I were outside one evening when we heard the neighbor's daughter cussing a blue streak as she hunted around in their backyard for a brick to brain the dog with because it'd bit one of the grandchildren (we deciphered that part in between the profanities). The judge was most interested in the tale.

Neighbor was in high dudgeon about me "...pickin' on [her] little dog that nobody else complains about!" but come to find out, the judge owned a Pomeranian, too, and knew their temperament and behavior well. She (the judge) told neighbor that as much as she understood that the dog was just doing its thing, it was being a nuisance to me and mine and she (the neighbor) should deal with it instead of acting like I was the one causing the problem.

It cost neighbor $350 (IIRC) for the second offense and a warning that a third would result in the dog being taken away. Her method of dealing with a dog that was a nuisance to all but her, and bit at least one of her own grandchildren, was to move away a few weeks later.

So if you're inclined, DJJ, that's one way to deal with a dog that won't shut up and an owner who refuses to deal with it. From what you said, you and your other neighbors have tried to deal with the situation like...well, neighbors...and the guy doesn't want to reciprocate. So, let him deal with the law and come out of his pocket. Maybe that'll get his attention.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:26:31 AM »
The police have been out several times, and the people on the other side of him asked me if I'd be willing to testify, and I said yes, but that was the last I heard. And they've been fined; no change.

The guy's excuse is that the dog is being "antagonized". I can only presume that to him, "antagonize" means "be in the dog's line of sight".

For the record, the wife/mother gives me the evil eye every time we see each other; the man won't look me in the eye. So I know whose dog it is, and who wears the pants in that family.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:37:42 AM »
He gets walks in the afternoon, but not in the morning.  I can't bring myself to wake up that early.

C'mon, guys, help me out.  Tell me what collars work best for this particular problem.  I don't like having the dog-door blocked off so he can't relieve himself while I'm out of the house... I want to find a training aide as quick as possible but I want to buy the right one for the job.

Also:

I tried to use a gentle leader (over the nose and around the head) when I first started walk-training him.  He clawed at it fiercely and wouldn't walk... he ended up hurting himself doing that.  I ended up using a slip-noose leash instead which has worked great.

It's all a function of finding the right tool for the job... and I want the right tool for this one.

Standing Wolf:  I take training my dog pretty seriously... I just never considered barking to be a big problem.  A little anecdotal advise as to what works to train the bark out of a dog would be helpful.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:42:28 AM »
The police have been out several times, and the people on the other side of him asked me if I'd be willing to testify, and I said yes, but that was the last I heard. And they've been fined; no change.

The guy's excuse is that the dog is being "antagonized". I can only presume that to him, "antagonize" means "be in the dog's line of sight".

For the record, the wife/mother gives me the evil eye every time we see each other; the man won't look me in the eye. So I know whose dog it is, and who wears the pants in that family.

Or as I've heard it put, he may wear the pants, but she tells him which ones to wear, right?

If you've a twisted sense of humor like mine and really want to get her goat, whenever you see her give her a bright cheery smile and a big wave. It's fun to watch their veins bulge when you do that. =D

Sounds like the wheels of justice are grinding, slowly, as it's said they will, so let's hope the "exceeding small" part of that old saw holds true, too.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:45:30 AM »
i've used several shock type collars  i found one that give one free bark with a warning tone then starts with a faint shock and ratchets it up through 5 or so levels then shuts down and resets for a while in case there is a real reason for dog to be barking it won't keep getting zapped. it works on my 90 pound hound. i had a neighbor who called cops multiple times  thought i was gonna have to punch him out.  but we get along good now
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »
Redhawk, I don't have any personal experience to offer but do have some friends who are long-time dog people. I'll ask them for ideas. In the meantime I'll offer this based on what I've learned from them over the years: It ain't going to be easy because of his age. He's not old, but as with children, training should be done early because the longer you wait to do it the bigger PITA it becomes.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:54:08 AM »
It ain't going to be easy because of his age. He's not old, but as with children, training should be done early because the longer you wait to do it the bigger PITA it becomes.

Not true with this dog.

He was un-trainable from 2 months to about 18 months.

Now he learns new tricks and habits pretty easily.  I worry that he might get fixed in his ways by age 5 or so, but right now he's very receptive to new training.
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 08:58:47 AM »
my hound learned quick  shes also learned that if there is no warning chirp with her one free bark tha batteries are dead and its party time.her bark is b
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 09:15:22 AM »
Redhawk-  I've seen sucess with any of the "increasing jolt" collars.  Unless the dog is stone dumb they do a decent job.  You should be able to get a good one for $50-$100, just stay on top of the bat. charge. 

(and don't try it on and bark.  Trust me.  =D)

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:20:40 AM »
yea i paid 65 bucks for the one i use now  100 for first one   warning  buy extra batteries   they use em up more in the beginning. try petsafe.net

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
Kennel train your dog.  Keep him in the kennel while you're gone.  Done.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
Different dogs react differently to different training tools. Although I have a shock collar for my dog (a lab), I am loathe to use that feature on it. I've only used it on her for "serious" training breaches that could endanger her, like chasing cars or trying to run into the street. She's actually pretty tough and the low setting barely phases her, but in those instances it gave her the message. That being said, the function on that collar that works best and that I use when we're hunting is the vibrator. If I need to get her attention, I just signal her with that and she snaps to. It becomes positive, rather than negative reinforcement, which I'm a big fan of.

So to relate to your dog, you might want to start with something like a spray collar, because that agitation is all he might need. If you do need to step it up to a shock collar, please try it while you're around first to make sure it's not too much for your dog. At some point you should then be able to "reduce" to some type of signal collar, because all he'll need is a passive reminder versus a jolt or a spray of yucky chemical.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »
I ordered one of the Citronella bark collars.

I read reviews of some of the electric ones, reporting that on particularly short-haired dogs it might actually burn and remove hair.  I don't want to do that.... sounds cruel.

I probably won't have it until next week at the earliest, though.
--Lysander Spooner

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
I have a beagle that's 14 years old.

When Max was a puppy he, like all beagles, loved to bark.

It took a lot of work, but he is trained in that he gets three barks and that's it.

One thing that helped immensely when no one was home was to turn on a radio or tv. I think that keeps the dog from hearing every little sound outside, and keeps the dog from being too lonley.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »
Not true with this dog.

He was un-trainable from 2 months to about 18 months.

Now he learns new tricks and habits pretty easily.  I worry that he might get fixed in his ways by age 5 or so, but right now he's very receptive to new training.

Ah yes, the exception to the rule, as there always is.

I haven't been able to get in touch with my friends. They're retired so probably off gallivanting. Some knowledgeable dog people have chimed in in the meantime, so I'll defer to them and let my friends enjoy their retirement. And take notes because my wife and children want a dog come next Spring. Good luck with the training.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
What you need to do is lobby the local city council to register all barking dogs and make barking more than 10 barks at a time illegal.  That should solve all your problems.  :D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:23 AM »
The Citronella is the one my mother used with her ankle biter to good effect, so good choice. I tried a Gentle Leader on my pooch when he was small and tried pulling all the time. It worked well for about a month until he finished putting on about 15 more pounds and got strong enough to drop his head, lock his neck and just charge like a bull. A Martingale collar was next, and that did the trick. Proper tools always make a job easier. Good luck with your training.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 01:14:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9fQq3CuXro

Very relevant to the discussion.

Fast-forward to 3:30 for the good stuff
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 02:38:41 AM »
Don't try to train a Pug not to bark.  Actually, don't try to train them to do anything that does not directly result in a treat or access to a bed.  They figure out that you're full of it after about the third time they don't get a treat for sitting, but they learn to run up the stepladder to the bed on the second try.  Pavlov ain't got nothin' on The Pug.

As for my GSD/Akita, she stopped barking inside after about the third time I spouted off an expletive-laden sentence expressing my displeasure at the noise.  As for outdoor barking, the zappy collar did the trick.  I didn't know about progressive shocks, I just had one with an adjustment on it.  I had to use the high setting because of her thick fur.  She got the point in a few weeks.  She doesn't bark at nothing anymore, but she still cuts loose at any unfamiliar human sheactually sees approach the house.

Now, here's the important part: When something *REALLY* agitates the dog, they will sometimes ignore the shock, especially when it's on a medium setting with a heavy winter undercoat.  DO NOT assume that the battery is dead and try to remove the collar before the UPS man has driven away unless you're in really good with your dry cleaner.  You may think that a 9-volt can't possibly hurt you, and you are so very, very wrong.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16:29 PM »
So.... I've been working from home about 50% of the time recently.

It ain't my dog barking.

It's one of the neighbors' beagles. 

My guy runs and gets agitated and squeeks because of the barking dog, maybe huffs a little.  His bark is pretty low tone and low volume though, whereas the beagle is shrill and loud.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about my guy's infrequent huffs versus the shrill beagle.
--Lysander Spooner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 02:30:11 PM »
I'm not doubting your dog's behavior, but are you sure it is the same as when you are not at home?  Your dog may be "talking" to you because you are right there, while when you are not at home he may be behaving differently.

You may want to hang out around the corber at your neighbor's house to hear what does or does not go on - especially as one has already come by and said it was yours that was making the noise.

What collar/device did you decide on?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.