Author Topic: CVS Health Resources: Kids and Guns  (Read 4794 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
CVS Health Resources: Kids and Guns
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:05:34 AM »
They pulled it down, we won!!!

I guess the BB gun my dad gave me for Christmas when I was 10 was a bad thing. :mad:

CVS Health Resources

Kids and Guns
By Chris Woolston
CONSUMER HEALTH INTERACTIVE

Below:
• What should I tell my child about guns?
• When is a child old enough to use a gun responsibly?

Guns are completely safe -- as long as they're unloaded, locked away, and never touched. But as soon as a bullet enters the chamber and a hand nears the trigger, guns become a serious hazard to children. In the United States 2,852 children and teenagers died of gunshot wounds in 2004, and more than four times that many suffered acute injuries -- many of them in the home.

Of course, the surest way to protect your child from guns is to keep them out of his life. The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly urges parents not to store guns at home. If you think you need a gun for protection, consider this: According to the AAP, a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a friend or family member than an intruder. What's more, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, guns used in school-related homicides and student suicides most often come from the child's own home or from a friend or relative.

If you still want to have a gun, invest in a trigger lock. Also, keep your gun unloaded and locked away in a gun cabinet, a safe, or another secure place. (Find a different place to lock up the ammunition.) Don't simply hide the gun in a sock drawer or a dark corner of your closet. Kids have an amazing ability to sniff out hiding spots.

What should I tell my child about guns?

With an estimated 242 million firearms in the United States, gun safety can't stop at home. Your child needs to understand the dangers of guns and how to protect himself if he comes across one. As soon as possible, teach your child these important lessons:

•The bullets and the blood on TV shows may be fake, but guns can hurt and kill children in real life.
•Never touch a gun for any reason.
•A gun means it's time to go. If your child sees a gun at a neighbor's house or elsewhere, he should leave immediately and tell you or another adult about it. (It's not enough to tell your child never to touch a gun. If his friend is handling a gun, your child is in grave danger.)

When is a child old enough to use a gun responsibly?

Never, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. This is what the distinguished organization has to say about children and guns: Never allow your child access to your gun(s). No matter how much instruction you may give him or her, a youngster in the middle years is not mature and responsible enough to handle a potentially lethal weapon. Certainly the recent wave of school massacres give ample evidence of that.

If you still want your child to know how to hunt or shoot, wait until the teenage years to begin instruction. Your child may be intelligent and emotionally mature, and he may know the book on gun safety, but you simply can't trust him with a hunting rifle until he's at least 13 years old -- and not even then unless you are absolutely certain he is mature enough to be responsible. (Don't give your child a BB gun as a toy -- writer Alice Walker is among the many Americans who have lost an eye to a sibling's BB gun.) If you decide to let him use a gun, make it a rule that he must be accompanied by an adult.

-- Chris Woolston, M.S., is a health and medical writer with a master's degree in biology. He is a contributing editor at Consumer Health Interactive, and was the staff writer at Hippocrates, a magazine for physicians. He has covered science issues for Time Inc. Health and WebMD, and is the co-author of Generation Extra Large: Rescuing Our Children from the Epidemic of Obesity (Perseus Books, 2005).. His reporting on occupational health earned him an award from the northern California Society of Professional Journalists.

http://www.cvshealthresources.com/topic/kidsguns#s12
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 12:22:14 AM by scanr »
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: CVS Health Resources: Kids and Guns
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:14:08 AM »
Guns are completely safe -- as long as they're unloaded, locked away, and never touched. But as soon as a bullet enters the chamber and a hand nears the trigger, guns become a serious hazard to children.

This is true.  A gun that is locked up, unloaded, and out of sight is inherently safer than the one that is loaded, unlocked, and on the table.  Then again, the car that is unfueled and locked in the garage is safer than the one motoring down the highway.

Of course, the surest way to protect your child from guns is to keep them out of his life.

If a kid is never exposed to firearms, they aren't likely to be harmed by one.  If a kid is never exposed to Measles, they'll never catch it.  If they stay away from cars, they're not likely to die in one, etc. 

If you still want to have a gun, invest in a trigger lock. Also, keep your gun unloaded and locked away in a gun cabinet, a safe, or another secure place. (Find a different place to lock up the ammunition.) Don't simply hide the gun in a sock drawer or a dark corner of your closet. Kids have an amazing ability to sniff out hiding spots.

No arguments here if they gun is for recreational shooting and not defense.  If they gun is for defense, I would keep it loaded and either locked up or secure upon your person.  Leaving them stored insecurely with kids in the house is unacceptable.

With an estimated 242 million firearms in the United States, gun safety can't stop at home. Your child needs to understand the dangers of guns and how to protect himself if he comes across one. As soon as possible, teach your child these important lessons:

•The bullets and the blood on TV shows may be fake, but guns can hurt and kill children in real life.
•Never touch a gun for any reason.
•A gun means it's time to go. If your child sees a gun at a neighbor's house or elsewhere, he should leave immediately and tell you or another adult about it. (It's not enough to tell your child never to touch a gun. If his friend is handling a gun, your child is in grave danger.)

No arguments here.  I haven't had the "guns on TV" discussion with Abby, but she does know not to touch a gun and to tell an adult.  At her age, there is no reason for her to handle a firearm without me present.

When is a child old enough to use a gun responsibly?

Never, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. This is what the distinguished organization has to say about children and guns: Never allow your child access to your gun(s). No matter how much instruction you may give him or her, a youngster in the middle years is not mature and responsible enough to handle a potentially lethal weapon. Certainly the recent wave of school massacres give ample evidence of that.

Except for the ridiculous final sentence, there isn't a whole lot to complain about here.  The article is targeted towards a wide readership.  I wouldn't want the average kid to have access to guns, supervised or not, until they hit double digits in age.  Of course, some are more clued in than others, but others still are not.  As much as I'd love to have a new shooting partner, my current goal with Abby is making sure she understands it isn't appropriate to be around firearms unless daddy is with her and says it's ok.

If you still want your child to know how to hunt or shoot, wait until the teenage years to begin instruction. Your child may be intelligent and emotionally mature, and he may know the book on gun safety, but you simply can't trust him with a hunting rifle until he's at least 13 years old -- and not even then unless you are absolutely certain he is mature enough to be responsible. (Don't give your child a BB gun as a toy -- writer Alice Walker is among the many Americans who have lost an eye to a sibling's BB gun.) If you decide to let him use a gun, make it a rule that he must be accompanied by an adult.

I'm unsure about waiting till the teenage years to learn to hunt.  I started late (mid 20s), so it's not as if they must start early, but if they show interest at say, 10 years old, there's no reason not to begin instruction.  That does not mean handing them a gun immediately though.  If you're an avid hunter, then introducing an interested kid should consist of ample firearms instruction (including both of you attending a hunter safety course) and a trip or two into the field with the child unarmed to learn what goes on while hunting (preferably small game to start with).

As for the BB gun issue, they aren't toys and should be treated like firearms for the purpose of using them as training tools.  I had one at 10 or so myself, but I lived in a less populated area than we do now  (nobody lived behind us and there was over a mile of undeveloped land behind our house).  When I get my daughter a BB gun, it will be primarily to teach my daughter firearms safety and handling.  She'll never get to use it unsupervised.

The article had some good points for general consumption.  While we're all 12 Weapons Combat Masters here, may people aren't.  I think the average gun owner is probably best served by a conservative approach to introducing their kids to guns. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »
"According to the AAP, a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a friend or family member than an intruder."

That sounds like the "findings" of that completely discredited Sugarman study.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »
"According to the AAP, a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a friend or family member than an intruder."

I'm not familiar with the Sugarman study, but I always interpreted that data that most violence resulting in a firearms related death in the home came from friends or family.  I'm thinking about such things as spousal or child abuse, arguments between friends or acquaintances that go to "the next level", etc.   

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:48:14 AM »
Ahhh, once again the "experts" weigh in.  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:28:14 AM »
If you have a link about that study, I'd like to see it, but I am sure it includes all sorts of things that most common sense people wouldn't.  Sort of like classifying 17 year old gang members as "children". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »

I was going to say the same thing. How long is it going to take that hack's baloney statistic to die?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
I was going to say the same thing. How long is it going to take that hack's baloney statistic to die?
It won't. I've seen it used in debates over here. Don't expect it to die anytime soon...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »

Kellermann, actually. You're confusing him with Sugarmann the anti-gun lobbyist.

http://guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgaga.html
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »
If you have a link about that study, I'd like to see it, but I am sure it includes all sorts of things that most common sense people wouldn't.  Sort of like classifying 17 year old gang members as "children".

Yep. And some of those "studies" classify up-to-22-year-olds as children. And when they say you're more likely to be killed by a "friend or family member" - more usually "someone you know" to simplify massaging the numbers - that includes dopers who sell dope from the same corner, hookers and their pimps, and gangbangers who are in different sects of the same gang.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
Forward this to the NRA so they can get on it, perhaps?

That's just absolutely ridiculous. Discredited statistics that make no sense anyway. If it's not known how many guns people have, all they have to go on is the few that are misused. The vast, vast majority never cause a problem, so they remain unknowns indefinitely.

Also, if one has a gun for home defense, the best place to keep it is a bolted-down quick-access safe in a drawer.

I wonder what CVS would have to say about the health hazards of a crazed meth tweaker stabbing the children to death in the room down the hall while the parent tries to find, assemble and load the gun?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:41:47 PM by Manedwolf »

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 12:26:21 PM »
I think we need to educate CVS.

They probably just pulled literature together and wrote this without much fanfare or research.
They could benifit from hearing the truth; maybe it might actually do good.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »

Killed by the police in a raid of their 'home' the meth lab...

Yeah, and their methodology was flawed in other ways - It was counted as a death from 'gun in the home' if the house owned a firearm - even if the killer brought and used his own.  For that matter, they also counted a lot of burglars as 'member of the household'.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »
More northeast liberals who know better than we do.  Contact info:

CVS Corporation
One CVS Drive
Woonsocket, RI 02895
Toll-free: (800) SHOP-CVS (746-7287)
E-mail: storecomments@cvs.com