Author Topic: I don't understand Obama's glorious new deal...  (Read 6517 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
I don't understand Obama's glorious new deal...
« on: December 06, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »
He's promised to put 2.5 million people to work rebuilding infrastructure. Building roads is the one he mentions most.

Soooo...when someone's white collar professional career is lost because of raised taxes and entitlement programs, their new job can be shoveling asphalt on a road crew? ???

Why are people cheering this?

DJJ

• friend
Re: I don't understand Obama's glorious new deal...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »
Have you ever read Vonnegut's "Player Piano"? One of the two fallback jobs is "Reeks & Wrecks", or Reconstruction and Reclamation.

ShelleyB.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »
Sounds suspiciously like Hitler's plan also, right down to the road construction.....

Another "option" might be the Civilian National Security Force. So many choices....

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:14:58 PM »
FDR wanted a 'civilian draft' to put millions of people to work building roads.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 05:24:50 PM »
FDR wanted a 'civilian draft' to put millions of people to work building roads.

It's the New Deal repackaged.  And we all know what a screaming, unmitigated success that was.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
It boils down to paying people with taxpayer dollars to do work that doesn't need to be done. Since the taxpayers have to pay for it, they lose money, money which they could put into the real economy to help it get moving faster.

The Great Depression would have ended sooner if it hadn't been for Roosevelt's experiments.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »
It boils down to paying people with taxpayer dollars to do work that doesn't need to be done.

That's even in the policy.

Second, we will create millions of jobs by making the single largest new investment in our national infrastructure since the creation of the federal highway system in the 1950s. We’ll invest your precious tax dollars in new and smarter ways, and we’ll set a simple rule – use it or lose it. If a state doesn’t act quickly to invest in roads and bridges in their communities, they’ll lose the money.

http://change.gov/newsroom/entry/the_key_parts_of_the_jobs_plan/

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 06:13:13 PM »
Reminds me of the CCC.

That's Civilian Conservation Corps, for those not old enough to remember.

White-collar or not, a job's a job when bills are due and there's no food in the fridge...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 06:13:53 PM »
Reminds me of the CCC.

That's Civilian Conservation Corps, for those not old enough to remember.

White-collar or not, a job's a job when bills are due and there's no food in the fridge...

Except that raising taxes to pay for this will force more people out of those white collar jobs.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »

I done everything from falling timber to writing software for aircraft.  It really doesn't matter to me except the latter pays a lot better.

When I was out of work a couple years ago, I did stuff like farming (planting oats and alfalfa), spraying weeds, and some construction.  Tractors are actually more fun to play with than computers.  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
It's hard to eat on your principals, MW. 

Remember that, as we head deeper into this recession/depression/Obamanation.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »
I think Maneds point is that Oboma is going to cost people their jobs in the first place with his high taxes.

Had he not over taxed the buisness, they wouldn't loose their white collar job, and there'd be no need for a blue collar replacement.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 07:09:19 PM »
Soooo...when someone's white collar professional career is lost because of raised taxes and entitlement programs, their new job can be shoveling asphalt on a road crew?

Nope. Some illegal immigrant who actually wants to shovel asphalt on a road crew will have that job. Remember that lots of the illegal immigrants who came to America to build houses are out of jobs and are looking for something to do. If I were the project's HR guy, hiring the white collar guy makes no sense as he'll likely has less experience on a work crew, doesn't speak enough Spanish to communicate with the rest of my crew, and will leave at the first sign of a better job opportunity. Oh yeah, the illegal immigrant also costs less.

A few of those white collar guy will likely be cooped up in a air conditioned building doing environmental impact statements and wrangling with lawsuit related paperwork that comes with public works projects. The rest will have to find jobs elsewhere.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »
People will complain when we have to pay to repair the roads, others will complain about how terrible our roads are. Some people will complain no matter what, I suspect Manedwolf is one of them. If someone wants to argue against wasteful spending and pork projects I'm happy to listen, but there is a point where it becomes absurd and most infrastructure is beyond that point in my opinion.

Had he not over taxed the buisness, they wouldn't loose their white collar job, and there'd be no need for a blue collar replacement.

I think we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves with hypotheticals considering he hasn't taken office yet or done anything yet.

You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 10:36:57 PM »
People will complain when we have to pay to repair the roads, others will complain about how terrible our roads are. Some people will complain no matter what, I suspect Manedwolf is one of them. If someone wants to argue against wasteful spending and pork projects I'm happy to listen, but there is a point where it becomes absurd and most infrastructure is beyond that point in my opinion.

You think this will REPAIR the roads?

No, this will funnel taxpayer dollars into funds that will be skimmed off of for everything from pet projects to office furniture to some bureaucrat's cousin in a nepotistic appointment.

The roads will have plenty of unionized Official Stand Around And Read The Paper workers, but fixed?

Ha. You want the roads fixed? Throw out the stupid affirmative action preferences, and LET PRIVATE COMPANIES COMPETE TO DO IT.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:40:54 PM by Manedwolf »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »
My father worked in the CCC and the WPA. Shoveled concrete. Even he admitted that what he was doing didn't really help the country, it just gave people jobs. At that time, though, there weren't racial quotas, so my dad wasn't denied one of those jobs.

Let's face it: if you consider the cost of materials and equipment, it would be less of a drain on the economy to simply give the people money to stay home rather than build more roads and bridges to nowhere.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 01:03:54 AM »
Let's face it: if you consider the cost of materials and equipment, it would be less of a drain on the economy to simply give the people money to stay home rather than build more roads and bridges to nowhere.

Add in the congestion created due to the road construction on an otherwise functional roadway, and you have lost productivity and increased fuel costs on top of it all.

Investing in new High-Tech industries, on the other hand...
-Architects get to design stuff
-CPAs and accountants get to spend money
-Materials engineers get to work
-Construction crews get to work
-IT jockeys get to set up communications systems
-Janitors get to pick up "la basura."
-There's ALWAYS something for the ubiquitous "middle management" to do...
(and I'm sure other groups get covered there, too)

I say we gorge NASA nice and fat, and build a rival public/private agency with the intent to "push" it completely private by 2030, out in New Mexico or California.

See who gets to the moon first, and turns a buck off of it.  And watch all that resultant technology make its way back into the marketplace.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »
Maybe your dad helped build all the trails and campsites at that huge state park to the west of Milwaukee in Sauk County.   =D

(I grew up there, and it still amazes me what the CCC accomplished on that land...)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 03:10:10 PM »
I think we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves with hypotheticals considering he hasn't taken office yet or done anything yet.
It's getting ahead of yourself to be worried he's going to try and do exactly what he said he wants to do?   =|
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 03:12:11 PM »
Given the choice of the .gov throwing money at the banks and detroit, or rebuilding airports, roads, and bridges......I'll take the latter, thank you.  
Also proves the Liberals actually do believe in trickle down economics....  :laugh:
But seriously.....Ever driven south on I95 through DC?  Or hell, through most midwestern cities during rush hour?  The Freeways of this country are a mess.  Bridges?  Didn't they tell us a bunch are ready to collapse after the Milwaukee deal?
I for one would seriously really dearly rather see our infrastructure rebuilt than the other ides they have on how to rescue the economy.  Bailing out homeowners?  Bailing out WallStreet?  Detroit?? They're the idiots that got us into this mess in the first place!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Don't care

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »
New deal?

Obama doesn't give many details, though I suspect he is attempting to resurrect (after all, he is the Messiah) FDR's NRA.

Of course, SCOTUS ruled it unconstitutional, but what does that matter?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »
Here's a former CCC project I enjoyed but haven't since the kness got old. The picture right at the top of the green open slope represents probably the most surreal part of the whole trail. Interesting history. The original US national ski championships were held here. They had to WALK to the top with all their gear. Two hours to summit, two minutes back down on skis.  :laugh: :

http://www.berkshirehiking.com/hikes/thunderbolt.html
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »
Warning: thread veer.

Gewehr98, I was born in Michigan. My dad was born in the UP, but moved to Flint right after marriage. While he was working on the WPA, he talked a lot about science and math (my father was a genius). A guy who had worked on the same WPA project got a job at GM, and told them they should talk to this Baker guy because he was really bright.

Next thing you know, my dad was at GM. Over the next few decades he developed some remarkable projects for them, including the machine language for the navigation systems for the space missions.

ShelleyB.

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 11:25:55 PM »

No, this will funnel taxpayer dollars into funds that will be skimmed off of for everything from pet projects to office furniture to some bureaucrat's cousin in a nepotistic appointment.

That's exactly where O's Chicago experience comes in. Sounds exactly like how IDOT operates.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 02:42:59 AM »
The idea that Roosevelt prolonged the depression and that his New Deal had nothing to do with bringing the economy out of it is clearly a minority view.

I don't see why we have to pretend that these sorts of programs can't lead to development and growth-they undoubtedly can, and sometimes they do so far better than a straight market system. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."