Author Topic: IL governor Blagojevich in federal custody  (Read 27105 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
IL governor Blagojevich in federal custody
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:31:08 AM »
About time!

http://www.newsday.com/iphone/chi-rod-blagojevich-1209,0,4048252.story

From the Chicago Tribune
TRIBUNE EXCLUSIVE

Blagojevich's Senate selection process investigatedFederal probe widens to Obama's vacant seat
By Jeff Coen, David Kidwell and Monique Garcia | Tribune staff reporters
9:20 AM EST, December 9, 2008
UPDATE: Source: Feds take Gov. Blagojevich into custody

A source said today that Gov. Rod Blagojevich was taken into federal custody at his North Side home this morning. The U.S. attorney's office would not confirm the information, and a spokesman for the governor did not immediately return a phone call for comment. Click here for the latest updates.

A three-year federal corruption investigation of pay-to-play politics in Gov. Rod Blagojevich's administration has expanded to include his impending selection of a new U.S. senator to succeed President-elect Barack Obama, the Tribune has learned.

Federal authorities got approval from a judge before the November general election to secretly record the governor, sources told the Tribune, and among their concerns was whether the selection process might be tainted. That possibility has become a focus in an intensifying investigation that has included recordings of the governor and the cooperation of one of his closest friends.

The governor has not been accused of any wrongdoing. The specific contents of the recent recordings have not been disclosed. Blagojevich has said the appointment of a Senate successor, which is his choice alone, could come in a matter of weeks.

Speaking to reporters Monday for the first time since the Tribune revealed federal investigators had recorded him and others as part of their corruption probe, Blagojevich said his discussions were "always lawful." He also defended close confidant John Wyma, whose cooperation with federal agents helped lead to the recordings, as "an honest person who's conducted himself in an honest way."

"I should say if anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it," he said. "I appreciate anybody who wants to tape me openly and notoriously, and those who feel like they want to sneakily, and wear taping devices, I would remind them that it kind of smells like Nixon and Watergate."

Unlike the recordings that the federal government has of Blagojevich, the tapes that led to President Richard Nixon's 1974 resignation over the burglary of Democratic offices at the Watergate complex and the ensuing coverup were made by Nixon himself.

Regardless of "whether you tape me privately or publicly, I can tell you that whatever I say is always lawful and the things I'm interested in are always lawful," Blagojevich said. "And if there are any things out there like that, what you'll hear is a governor who tirelessly and endlessly figures out ways to help average, ordinary working people."

Blagojevich's comments came amid increasing concern by Democrats that the governor's pending appointment of a Senate successor may become politically tainted as a result of the investigations surrounding his administration. Federal investigators have been looking into allegations of corruption regarding state jobs, appointments and contracts in connection with Blagojevich's prolific fundraising.

Blagojevich has not been charged with any wrongdoing and contended that if federal investigators areƒs "going to those lengths and extents [of obtaining recordings], if in fact that's true, that would suggest all the past has been pretty good."

"I don't believe there's any cloud that hangs over me. I think there's nothing but sunshine hanging over me," the governor said.

Blagojevich made the remarks at a Monday morning visit to laid-off workers staging a sit-in at the Republic Windows & Doors plant on Goose Island.

Later Monday, he met for 90 minutes with Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., the South Side and southwest suburban congressman who has been the most visibly active campaigner for the appointment to replace Obama. Jackson, who was among the last high-profile Senate successor candidates to speak with Blagojevich, has had disagreements with the governor and is not close to him.

Blagojevich issued a strong defense of Wyma and accused the Tribune of publishing misinformation and possibly defamatory material.

"To begin with, they didn't get it right," he said. "John Wyma's lawyer put out a statement. The Tribune was wrong and very well may have defamed him."

But the statement from Wyma's lawyer did not directly address the Tribune story and instead appeared directed at media outlets and others who reported Wyma wore a wire.

The Tribune noted that Wyma's cooperation with federal investigators helped lead to recordings of Blagojevich but did not report that he wore a wire.

Wyma's lawyer also did not respond to the Tribune's report that Wyma was cooperating with investigators. "John Wyma is a friend of mine, he was my chief of staff, and I'm sure whatever he does, he does ethically and follows the rules," the governor said.

Blagojevich said he would not remove Wyma from his inner circle of advisers. He also told the Tribune that Wyma was not involved in the deliberations over an Obama successor. "No, I consider him a friend. and I don't consider him as anything but a friend. And to someone who, as I've known him, always has been an honest person who's conducted himself in an honest way," Blagojevich said of Wyma. "That's the John Wyma I know and it's the John Wyma that [Obama's incoming chief of staff, Rep.] Rahm Emanuel knows and a lot of other people know."

Blagojevich said he had last spoken to Wyma the day before Thanksgiving, when he offered holiday wishes and "talked a little bit about the plight of the Detroit Lions. He's from Michigan."

And the governor indicated he was not concerned about Wyma cooperating with federal investigators. "Look, I believe everybody should just tell the truth and pursue the truth and be truthful and then you do that and everything's fine," he said.

-------

Just in time for Christmas.  This should be fun to watch.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hutch

• friend
Re: IL governor Blagojevich in federal custody
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:38:37 AM »
IIRC, Blago is Dan Rostenkowski's son-in-law.  Brings a new definition of the term "crime family".  Thieving bastards....
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »
If this is true, it might be an early Christmas for everyone!

Might this be from his ties to Tony Rezko?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/blagojevich/1206714,blago100708.article

Maybe Tony actually believed him and DID tell the truth?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »
*bangs on western border*  Hey!  Keep it down over there!  Darn noisy neighbors.  Oh, look, Beatrice, the cops are over at the Illinoisians again.  Put on the coffee.

This used to be such a nice neighborhood. :laugh:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Is there a jaw drop smiley?

Oh happy day!  Rejoice with me, my friends.  This calls for a celebration.

They need to get the spider at the center of the web.  And do it now, before "our new Chicago overlords" take office.

IIRC, Blago is Dan Rostenkowski's son-in-law

Nope, Dick Mell, another Chicago pol.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:22:42 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 09:59:11 AM »
I think there's nothing but sunshine hanging over me

Okay, somebody around here owes me a new keyboard and a fresh cup of coffee!  =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »
Criminal Complaint:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2008-12/43789434.pdf

God bless the internet and instant gratification for political junkies.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:02:28 AM »
Defendants ROD BLAGOJEVICH and JOHN HARRIS, together with
others, attempted to use ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s authority to appoint a United States Senator
for the purpose of obtaining personal benefits for ROD BLAGOJEVICH, including, among
other things, appointment as Secretary of Health & Human Services in the President-elect’s
administration, and alternatively, a lucrative job which they schemed to induce a union to
provide to ROD BLAGOJEVICH in exchange for appointing as senator an individual whom
ROD BLAGOJEVICH and JOHN HARRIS believed to be favored by union officials and
their associates.

To quote Achmed, the Dead Terrorist:

"Holy Crap!"

This information, in turn, is divided into sections relating to three topics:
(a) efforts to obtain campaign contributions in exchange for official actions by ROD
BLAGOJEVICH; (b) efforts to use state funds for the private purpose of inducing the
Tribune Company to fire Chicago Tribune editorial board members critical of ROD
BLAGOJEVICH by making their firing a condition of state assistance to the Tribune
Company in connection with Wrigley Field; and (c) efforts to obtain personal financial
benefits for ROD BLAGOJEVICH in return for his appointment of a United States Senator.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:26:04 AM by makattak »

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »
Photo of arresting agents?  :lol:

AWESOME!

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
Do you think DoJ now has the ATF's Thompsons in .38 Super now? =D

Busted for selling Obama's Senate seat!  Oh, please, oh, please, let the conspiracy net drift out! :police:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Illinois Gov. Blagojevich ARRESTED!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
 =D

This made my morning!

From MSN:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28139155/?GT1=43001

WASHINGTON - Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday on charges of conspiring to get financial benefits through his authority to appoint a U.S. senator to fill the vacancy left by Barack Obama's election as president.

According to a federal criminal complaint, Blagojevich also was charged with illegally threatening to withhold state assistance to Tribune Co., the owner of the Chicago Tribune, in the sale of Wrigley Field. In return for state assistance, Blagojevich allegedly wanted members of the paper's editorial board who had been critical of him fired.

John Harris, the governor's chief of staff, was also charged, the U.S. Department of Justice said.

Blagojevich, 51, and Harris, 46, both of Chicago, were each charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery.

A 76-page FBI affidavit alleges that Blagojevich was intercepted on court-authorized wiretaps during the last month conspiring to sell or trade for personal gain the state's U.S. Senate seat.

Federal prosecutors have investigated Blagojevich's administration for at least three years. The governor has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

The Department of Justice alleges that in exchange for the Senate appointment, Blagojevich discussed obtaining:

a substantial salary for himself at either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions;
placing his wife on paid corporate boards where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year;
promises of campaign funds — including cash up front;
a cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.
"The breadth of corruption laid out in these charges is staggering," said Patrick J. Fitzgerald, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois. "They allege that Blagojevich put a 'for sale' sign on the naming of a United States Senator. The citizens of Illinois deserve public officials who act solely in the public's interest, without putting a price tag on government appointments, contracts and decisions."

Corruption in the Blagojevich administration has been the focus of a federal Operation Board Games involving an alleged $7 million scheme aimed at squeezing kickbacks out of companies seeking business from the state. Federal prosecutors have acknowledged they're also investigating "serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud" under Blagojevich.

Blagojevich and Harris are due to appear in federal court later on Tuesday to face the charges.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 10:25:09 AM »
Do you think DoJ now has the ATF's Thompsons in .38 Super now? =D

Busted for selling Obama's Senate seat!  Oh, please, oh, please, let the conspiracy net drift out! :police:

Not just that!

Selling Obama's Senate seat IN EXCHANGE FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION.

Looks like I might be able to recycle a Clinton era statement:

"The Obama Administration: A team with convictions. And more coming!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Illinois Gov. Blagojevich ARRESTED!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »
Being that this is rather political, you can find it discussed here:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=16687.0

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »
Did anybody notice that there is no mention of what political party they belong to?  If they had been Republicans it would have said so so everytime their names were mentioned, so I guess they weren't Republicans and if that is the case, I guess they must be Democrats.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »
Every elected Democrat governor of Illinois since 1961 has been arrested on Federal charges of corruption.

Republican Governor Ryan (also in jail) might as well have been a Democrat the way he governed.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »
d'oh!  I figured I shoulda looked there.  but I usually try to avoid politics like the plague...  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 10:39:44 AM »
I usually try to avoid politics like the plague...  :)

Same here.

Back to the subject at hand, all I can say is, "Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 10:41:14 AM »
This so makes my day. Here's hoping they implicate the One.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »
Every elected Democrat governor of Illinois since 1961 has been arrested on Federal charges of corruption.

Republican Governor Ryan (also in jail) might as well have been a Democrat the way he governed.

Makes me so proud of my birth state.

I'm so glad I escaped to Virginia.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »

Really?  WLS 890AM just said 4 out of 6?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Now this is politics place fodder if I ever saw it.

Oh crap. Someone already started this in politcs place. Given that that one has far more replies in it, I'm just going to close this one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:05:02 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 10:50:15 AM »

Really?  WLS 890AM just said 4 out of 6?

33    Otto Kerner, Jr.    elected January 9, 1961  sent to prison in 1973 for his role in an illegal racetrack scheme

34    Samuel H. Shapiro took office May 21, 1968 not elected governor, just finished Kerner's term as governor   

36    Daniel Walker elected January 8, 1973  sentenced to seven years in prison in 1987 for receiving over a million dollars in fraudulent loans for his business and repairs on his yacht.

40    Rod R. Blagojevich elected   January 13, 2003 arrested today by the FBI.

WLS may be going back to Adlai Stevenson (1949?) and is probably including Shapiro as one of the not arrested.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:04:38 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02:40 AM »

Yup.  Our here in the sticks, there were far more yard signs for his D. opponent, a "downstater" from southern IL, than for G. Ryan.  Far more.  I think I saw, like, 2, in our town of 25K.  Chicago won it for Ryan.

And George <spit!> Ryan missed no opportunity to dis gun owners.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 11:18:55 AM »
DECEMBER 9--The criminal complaint filed today against Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich contains a remarkable section detailing the Democratic politician's alleged attempt to cash in on his ability to fill the U.S. Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama. Attached to the U.S. District Court complaint is an FBI affidavit, excerpted below, alleging that Blagojevich was caught on wiretaps noting that the Senate seat "is a f__cking valuable thing, you just don't give it away for nothing." He was also recorded saying that unless "I get something real good," he would appoint himself to the vacancy. "I'm going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain. You hear what I'm saying. And if I don't get what I want and I'm not satisfied with it, then I'll just take the Senate seat myself." According to the surreptitiously recorded conversations, Blagojevich spoke with associates about the possibility of trading the Senate post for either an ambassadorship or a Cabinet post. The Democratic politician, according to the affidavit sworn by FBI Agent Daniel Cain, "analogized his situation to that of a sports agent shopping a potential free agent to various teams." Blagojevich, 51, and his chief of staff, John Harris, were arrested this morning on political corruption charges.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1209081rod1.html

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 11:50:32 AM »
Illinois Politics, coming soon to a whitehouse near you!!!