Author Topic: Absolute frigging miscarriage of justice  (Read 16399 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Absolute frigging miscarriage of justice
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
the eample i used it took twenty years to clear him. i can name at least 6 more cases just in va. one a death penalty case
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Don't care

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
I believe the jury has now made it official......

It's time to let the criminals run society, and the law abiding to spend time behind walls, wire, and bars.

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
no  but it makes a nice sound bite
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 10:10:09 PM »
I believe the jury has now made it official......

It's time to let the criminals run society, and the law abiding to spend time behind walls, wire, and bars.

Woah there. The guy is not leaving prison. He's not going to participate in society in any way shape or form.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:05 PM »
thats twice! in one nite! the end times are nigh

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 10:39:29 PM »
Because if the entire system of corrections is based on the fact the guy may be innocent, then theres no punishment that's really OK.  I agree there is nothing more horrible then an innocent man being killed, however, that when ones been convicted we have to assume so.

You missed the second of two sentences.  My positions is not that we should not execute because people might be innocent.

My point is that we shouldn't execute people.

That not executing people incidentally means not executing innocent people is a nice side benefit.

I agree all human life is valuable.  However, some of it is more valuable then others and justice should be served.

Yes, justice should be served.  A jury in Atlanta decided that justice would be served by life in prison.  Some states have determined that justice will be served by not executing anyone at all.  I agree with those states. 

As for the court determining whose life is more or less valuable, I disagree emphatically. 

I do think procedural problems count, a lot.  That's one of the fail safes in our court system.  What I do not think should count is a technicality that gets someone off free. 

Ok, so how are you defining "procedural problem" and how are you defining "technicality".  I'm having a hard time figuring out how they don't mean the same thing.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »
One benefit derived from this POS's rampage is that courthouse security in Atlanta - at city and county levels - has been thoroughly beefed up, and I mean that literally. No more short, fat, fifty year old grandmas, no more short, tall, or in-between out-of-shape grand-anybodies, assigned to shepherd fit young males to the courtroom. They've been replaced with fit (relatively-) young males who can fight and win if the need arises. Any ROAD officer assigned to a courtroom as a bailiff has one of the aforesaid hard men assigned to the courtroom, too. As in many another situation, it takes a death or several for the blinders to come off and make people take the situation seriously.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 11:11:15 PM »
A jury in Atlanta decided that justice would be served by life in prison.

If I may, they did not.

Nine of twelve said justice would be served by execution, three said it would not. Their inability to reach a unanimous verdict on punishment put the matter in the hands of the judge, who was given the options of life with the possibility of parole - and he could set the number of years before parole could be considered - or life without the possibility of parole. Judge Bodiford chose the latter, and set the sentences for all Nichols' crimes as consecutive in case someone in future tried to finagle the "without possibility of parole" part.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:14:24 PM by Uncle Bubba »
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Don't care

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 11:29:08 PM »
Woah there. The guy is not leaving prison. He's not going to participate in society in any way shape or form.

You missed my point.

Because he is alive, he still has a connection to society. Public policy refuses to allow the system to completely sever an inmate from society, because he still has rights. His right to life should have been terminated for the number, as well as circumstances of his actions.

Due process may have occurred, but this guy's sentence doesn't meet the definition of justice. While he will meet his fate of a face to face with our maker; justice delayed on this Earth, is still justice denied to his victims and society as a whole.

As such, I sarcastically stand by my previous post.

Don't care

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 11:32:02 PM »
......................This doesn't challenge my opposition to the death penalty at all. 

If I may, why are you opposed to the death penalty?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 11:51:15 PM »
If I may, why are you opposed to the death penalty?

For approximately the same reason I'm pregnant at a hideously inconvenient time;  I agree with the Catholic Church's teachings on the value of human life and on the various ways to honor that value.  I don't follow the party line lock, stop and barrel, as I think they're just nutty about gun banning as a way to preserve human life, but when it comes to teachings on birth control, abortion, and the death penalty, I see a well-formulated theology that helps me understand my appreciation of family, of life, and of social and criminal justice.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2008, 12:32:38 AM »
BridgeWalker, are you a Catholic, a Protestant, or just a theist/agnostic who sees value in the Catholic rules?

You hint that you follow at least some of the "party line" so I'll assume you're a Catholic. In that case, you have to chose whether to follow their teachings on the death penalty, or the Bible's. The two are in direct conflict. It is stated in either Exodus or Leviticus that that the punishment for murder is death.

You'll also find that a number of times in the Old Testament God supposedly told the Jews to completely wipe out other groups of people
"with the sword."

I see a well-formulated theology that helps me understand my appreciation of family, of life, and of social and criminal justice.

Even if you're not a Catholic, others should know that if they are going to embrace Christianity, they need to decide who to trust. A corrupt church system which creates its own rules, or the (supposedly) inspired Bible, which started the whole thing.

What it all boils down to is this: who is greater, the Christian God or man?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2008, 01:06:21 AM »
BridgeWalker, are you a Catholic, a Protestant, or just a theist/agnostic who sees value in the Catholic rules?

Catholic.  Former Orthodox Jew.

In that case, you have to chose whether to follow their teachings on the death penalty, or the Bible's.

Nope.  The Bible, first of all, in large addresses the Jews.  Although I am a Jew, I elect to follow the teachings that absolve Christians, even those of Jewish origin, from following Jewish law, for very good reason.

Second, You seem to suggest that I have to choose using the dichotomy that you have expressed.  Nope.  I have already chosen my path, and it cannot be characterized by the choice you name.

Third, source documents are of little use in application without interpretation.  In my experience and in my opinion, faiths that claim to be based on the Bible alone are not remotely based on the Bible, the whole Bible, and nothing but the Bible.  I have chosen my interpretation.

The two are in direct conflict.

Nope.

It is stated in either Exodus or Leviticus that that the punishment for murder is death.

And the required procedure after having a wet dream is immersion in a ritual bath.  When was the last time you visited your local ritual bathhouse? Of course, I'm guilty too.  I never considered myself impure for sixty days after birth to my daughter, nor did I sacrifice two birds in the temple to commemorate the event. 

Oh, and I told my my parents where they could stick it when they told me how to live my life.  That's one of the big ten right there.

I was raised with the rabbinic interpretation of the rules of capital punishment.  Know what those are?  Basically, that the burden of proof is so high that no court should *ever* implement it.  Intent in the english common law, which has been adopted into most states' criminal codes?  You intend to do any action for which you performed the physical act on purpose.  I intentionally murder you by swinging a lethally heavy/sharp object into your head.  Intent by rabbinic standards?  You have not committed an intentional murder until you make your intentions known before witness and the witness warn you, in the presence of other witnesses not to do so or you will be guilty of murder, and then you go and kill the dude anyway.  Standard of proof in an American criminal trial?  Beyond a reasonable doubt.  In a rabbinic capital trial?  You did the murder in front of reliable witnesses (reliable meaning men of reputation in the community) while clearly lucid. 

So, tell me, what do YOU think the definition of murder is, and what makes you think that your interpretation is better than the rabbis?  What do think God meant by "murder"?  And how to you find the audacity to declare that you and that each of us, on our own, can decide what murder means?

Our criminal code needs clarification on burdens of proof, rules of evidence, qualifications for intent and the ability to form it.    All of that is superfluous?  All you need to decide you lives and who dies is a single word, murder? 

No, I don't follow rule-books without interpretation.  I lack the arrogance.  the best we can do to choose how to live is to follow the best direction we can find.  I don't find mine in text without interpretation.  I never cease to be amazed that there are people who think we can. 

And yes, I choose the Bible.  Christ said not to cast the first stone until I am without sin.  I've got a whole closetful of skeletons, and so I don't stone people.  I don't even voluntarily participate in electrocuting them.  I refrain from doing that because the people I have chosen to help me figure out what those mean have said that that's what it means. 

You'll also find that a number of times in the Old Testament God supposedly told the Jews to completely wipe out other groups of people
"with the sword."

Sorry, don't have one.  I don't remember the quotation marks in the original.  You seem to be reading the sword part as a metaphor.  Dunno where the text allows you to do that.  Of course, I'm guessing you aren't one of the chosen people.  I am, so forgive me if I don't go hunting Amalekites for the good of the world.  Dunno who those might be, but hey, I can always take my best guess, right?

Even if you're not a Catholic, others should know that if they are going to embrace Christianity, they need to decide who to trust. A corrupt church system which creates its own rules, or the (supposedly) inspired Bible, which started the whole thing.

Some religious systems choose to preserve the illusion that they do not add any interpretation to the Bible.  That's a fine choice, I guess, but it's not for me.  It is certainly an illusion.  If you choose to believe that you aren't living within a theological system, then you're kidding yourself.  They are all organized systems, and there is no organizations under the sun that is not open to corruption.  I'm all for perfection, but it doesn't happen in this particular reality.  One akes the best one can find.  I choose coherence and clarity over the illusion of unmarred purity.

What it all boils down to is this: who is greater, the Christian God or man?

I choose both.  His name is Jesus, from Nazareth.  Maybe you know him?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:27:17 AM by BridgeWalker »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 01:21:47 AM »
"He's not going to leave or anything."

OH?

He was IN CUSTODY when he escaped and killed several people.

But, I guess that now that they've sentenced him, he'll be a good little boy and not attempt to escape again, right?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 01:27:03 AM »
I LOVE how people always get tied up in the argument of "it's cheaper to put him in prison, more expensive to execute him."

I don't give a damn how much it costs to execute him. That should NOT be the deciding factor in use of the death penalty. It shouldn't even be a frigging consideration.

The ONLY consideration in use of the death penalty should be the underlying crime, NOT a bunch of dollar signs and statistics sheets tossed around by a bunch of liberal pencil necked geeks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:47:22 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Don't care

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 01:43:39 AM »
Bridgewalker,

I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest when I asked the question.

I asked because of the distinctions of the generic word "kill" and the very specific words of "murder", "combat", and "execution".

I'm not so arrogant to presume that I entirely know the inspired word of God, but as He gave us free will and thought. As such, I presume He intended us to contemplate such matters, to include debating them at length in a manner consistent of His teachings.

We all kill for the consumption of nourishment to sustain our very lives, with life to man as a gift from God. For that rationale alone, I don't believe that He, nor the Holy Catholic/catholic church, strictly means that outright "killing" is wrong.

However, there are differences in the types of killing. There are certainly examples of the word of God giving His word, as well as  intervening Himself, during combat. I'm also fairly confident that He intends each of us to intervene in protecting our brother or sister, killing in the defense of them and ourselves, if necessary.

If this man, for lack of another appropriate word, would have been killed by during a violent victimization of another person, I doubt very much that the official church response would have had little problem with such an action.

Taking from my previous statements, it is my belief that certain people who commit acts so terrible to so many, should no longer remain even a remote threat to mankind. A person who has such disregard for his or her fellow man, really does need to speak with God, post haste.

While we may disagree personally, as well as within the context as a Christian, I can understand your position upon the subject. I hope that you can understand mine as well.

In either case, I still pray for His guidance.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:54:45 AM by Don't care »

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 01:58:53 AM »
I'd be all for the death penalty if our justice system worked properly.

See Project Innocence, in my state alone, the Innocence Project has found 32 wrongful convictions, more than in any other state.  This makes me want to poop my pants.

I'm all for he death penalty in theory, but seeing how it's played out my my state makes me think twice.

Now in your case, for instance, where there are umpteen witnesses to a horrible deed, then, yeah, sure.  For capital crimes like that, sure, hang 'em.

EDIT: More to the point, in your specific mentioned case, yeah, hang 'em high.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 02:03:30 AM »
I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest when I asked the question.

Can questions of text and interpretation and law *not* be heated?  Did I mention the Jewish part, and the law student part?  :laugh:

I asked because of the distinctions of the generic word "kill" and the very specific words of "murder", "combat", and "execution".

Well, the commandment very specifically uses the word for murder.  The distinction I was highlighting was not so much with the translation itself but with the implications of the word that have to be examined in order order to actually carry out a trial and sentencing and execution.

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 05:34:32 AM »
We all kill for the consumption of nourishment to sustain our very lives

no  illustrating yet again the danger if categorical pronouncements   but at least you didn't use "clearly"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »
Ok, so how are you defining "procedural problem" and how are you defining "technicality".  I'm having a hard time figuring out how they don't mean the same thing.
Procedural would be something like having one out of eight samples tested.  Technicality would be forgetting to cross a T on the sample that proved the guy guilty, and his lawyer being able to argue it as being inadmissible.  You can keep the fail safes without allowing technicalities getting guilty people off.

And, luckily, we don't allow the Catholic church to make our policy in this country. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 06:57:42 AM »
flip side

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/13/AR2008121302147.html?hpid%3Dmoreheadlines&sub=AR

By Thomas Erdbrink
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, December 14, 2008; Page A01

TEHRAN -- Ameneh Bahrami once enjoyed photography and mountain vistas. Her work for a medical equipment company gave her financial independence. Several men had asked for her hand in marriage, but the hazel-eyed electrical technician had refused them all. "I wanted to get married, but only to the man I really loved," she said.

Four years ago, a spurned suitor poured a bucket of sulfuric acid over her head, leaving her blind and disfigured.

Late last month, an Iranian court ordered that five drops of the same chemical be placed in each of her attacker's eyes, acceding to Bahrami's demand that he be punished according to a principle in Islamic jurisprudence that allows a victim to seek retribution for a crime. The sentence has not yet been carried out.

The implementation of corporal punishments allowed
By Thomas Erdbrink
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, December 14, 2008; Page A01

TEHRAN -- Ameneh Bahrami once enjoyed photography and mountain vistas. Her work for a medical equipment company gave her financial independence. Several men had asked for her hand in marriage, but the hazel-eyed electrical technician had refused them all. "I wanted to get married, but only to the man I really loved," she said.

Four years ago, a spurned suitor poured a bucket of sulfuric acid over her head, leaving her blind and disfigured.

Late last month, an Iranian court ordered that five drops of the same chemical be placed in each of her attacker's eyes, acceding to Bahrami's demand that he be punished according to a principle in Islamic jurisprudence that allows a victim to seek retribution for a crime. The sentence has not yet been carried out.

The implementation of corporal punishments allowed
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:04:50 AM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

• friends
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 07:06:08 AM »
we had a lab tech in va fudge test results in a murder. cause she figured the cops had the right guy. how would you handle that?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
we had a lab tech in va fudge test results in a murder. cause she figured the cops had the right guy. how would you handle that?

Try her as an accessory to the crime, as well as for framing the original suspect.

• friends
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 08:56:34 AM »
how do you punish her for the fact that the cops quit looking and a week before the guy she framed was to go to trial the real killer kidnapped raped and murdered 2 young sisters.  we need to tighten up our system   no room for error with capital punishment. and the doofus they framed was a drunk. he wasn't sure he didn't do it

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 09:06:24 AM »
"how do you punish her"

Unfortunately, the only way our system currently allows...

1. Long prison sentence.

2. Family of the girls gets a wrongful death settlement against her (and probably against her employer) and anything she ever earns after getting out of the stir goes to the family.