Author Topic: Guns and Art  (Read 1327 times)

publius

• friend
Guns and Art
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
This is a shameless plug, but I thought you all might enjoy it. My brother does pottery, and he shot one of his urns. Click the image to see more pictures of it.

MGshaggy

Re: Guns and Art
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
Publius, check out www.victorspinski.com

Victor is a friend of mine, a shooter, and does unreal things with clay and ceramic.

Here's a sample of his work - and keep in mind there's nothing in that pic that isn't made of clay, glaze, or stain.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:25:42 PM by MGshaggy »

myrockfight

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Publius, check out www.victorspinski.com

Victor is a friend of mine, a shooter, and does unreal things with clay and ceramic.

Here's a sample of his work - and keep in mind there's nothing in that pic that isn't made of clay, glaze, or stain.

That is really interesting and kinda cool. However, I always wondered why people used one medium/material to so closely imitate another medium/material that you cannot tell the difference - when the economics of a situation with a lack of choice/material doesn't dictate it, it isn't a choice to display of ability (which can be very entertaining in itself), or it isn't learning exercise.

Shall I assume this was option #2? Every once in a while you will see an example of that when there isn't any of the above reasons involved. My Dad is the king of making such decisions, for no apparent reason. It is frustratiing. LOL

publius

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:12:11 AM »
That's pretty amazing MGshaggy! I'll pass it along to my brother.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »
That is really interesting and kinda cool. However, I always wondered why people used one medium/material to so closely imitate another medium/material that you cannot tell the difference - when the economics of a situation with a lack of choice/material doesn't dictate it, it isn't a choice to display of ability (which can be very entertaining in itself), or it isn't learning exercise.

Like making ultra-realistic humans by chiseling them out of marble?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »
Like making ultra-realistic humans by chiseling them out of marble?

And painting them. Don't forget the paint.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »
And if they look ultra-realistic, then it would be absurd not to recognize their rights. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
And if they look ultra-realistic, then it would be absurd not to recognize their rights. 

I take it your name is Pigmalion.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »

Duane Hanson's sculpture. Yes, they're sculptures. What he'd said is that you can walk up to them, and stare at a person without the usual impropriety of doing so, and thus examine the details of a human when normally, you'd feel pressure to look away.

He didn't see himself as an artist, really, but as a social documenter.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
One of those sculptures is in the Orlando airport. Very impressive.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?