Author Topic: My house was just buzzed by an F-18  (Read 7120 times)

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
Re: My house was just buzzed by an F-18
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 09:29:46 PM »
Here is a question for you.  Say the Navy/Marines F-18 had a mechanical problem and landed at the Air Force base in Montana.  Last time I checked, the Air Force had no F-18's.  So does the Navy/Marines fly in a F-18 maintenance crew, or do the Air Force F-16/F-15 maintenance crew just boot up the F-18 service manual and go to work?   Does the military require type-certification of their maintenance crews before turning a wrench?

They send the maintenance crew for that aircraft TDY to wherever it landed.  Not sure on the type-certification thing, I just know that when we've had F-18s land on the bases I've been at, the Marines send their crew out to fix it.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »
Transit Alert folks are qualified to do basic servicing on several different airframes.  If its an in depth maintenance issue then the responsible service unit will send maintenance crews to do repairs.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 10:04:12 PM »
Here is a question for you.  Say the Navy/Marines F-18 had a mechanical problem and landed at the Air Force base in Montana.  Last time I checked, the Air Force had no F-18's.  So does the Navy/Marines fly in a F-18 maintenance crew, or do the Air Force F-16/F-15 maintenance crew just boot up the F-18 service manual and go to work?   Does the military require type-certification of their maintenance crews before turning a wrench?

We would always send a maintenance crew out. I was the flight engineer on a plane that made a beeline to Vandenberg AFB from the SoCal operating area one time. We had an oil pump at the rear of the turbine fail and then it turned into a tail pipe fire, which our fire supression system wouldn't put out. After we landed, assessed the damage, called home and told them what we needed they loaded up a replacement turbine and a crew into a van and drove down from Moffett Field to fix the plane. They sent another plane down to pick us up.

When I was crewing the C2 we would fly maintenenance crews and parts all over the country to fix broken planes.

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 11:09:31 PM »
If the airfield has the prerequsite ARFF equipment, as well as basics, sometimes they will cross country to their "home" airport.  That is to say, pilot needs cross country time.  Heads to an airport near home for the weekend if its at least a nat'l gaurd type facility.  Or near ski resort, etc.   :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”