Author Topic: Wireless cable transmitter  (Read 1229 times)

taurusowner

Wireless cable transmitter
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »
Is there a way to wirelessly transmit a cable signal from the wall outlet to a TV, while being able to control channels and the like?  Basically I've got a TV in a room with no cable outlet.  Is there a device I can attach to a wall outlet in another room to transmit, and a companion device attached to a TV that can receive the cable signal?  It would be cool if it came with a remote control paired to the TV end that transmits back to the wall end for channels and the like.  I've briefly looked at Slingbox, but most of them seem only to transmit to computers and PDAs over wifi, not to TVs.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Wireless cable transmitter
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
Man, if someone does make something, it's going to be expensive.

Is it totally impractical to run cable where you need it from the basement or attic?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »
Ditch Cable and look into Direct TV, they have something like that with their tuner boxes.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »
When I had Dish, they had it set up so one box had two TV outputs and you wired the 2nd line to another room.  The remote for that room could be used anywhere in the house just about.  If close neighbors have the same thing, it might interfere. 

Usually, cable installers will install new cable outlets in the wall for you.  If you do that, ask them up front.  The directTV installer had to cut in a new one and it was all included I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
They have such critter, but the good ones are more expensive than having an electricion run a cable drop.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
I have such a critter.

I'll get the make/model when I go home tonight.

It broadcasts a 2.4GHz signal from one node to another, and even relays IR commands from your TV remote control.  I have mine set up to send L/R RCA audio across the room from my TV to my stereo, but it can also send standard definition video as well.

Mine cost me about $75 IIRC... I got it about 4 months ago.  I have a thread somewhere around here regarding it.

I haven't yet seen one that sends high-def wirelessly.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!