Author Topic: Need to learn about garage door openers  (Read 5912 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Need to learn about garage door openers
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:20:28 PM »
Well, the one in the garage here in Cat Whiz gets used about 20+ times a day... They didn't put a people door on that side of the house...

And now it's making horrid noises, and the chain-drive isn't doing anything in either direction. It's a 1/2 horsepower Craftsman.
Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Need to learn about garage door openers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »
You want to make sure you get one that changes the frequency each time or uses a more complex code. The cheapest sort, which I don't know if they even sell anymore, did not do that, and anyone who wandered along with a frequency counter could pick up on it, then open your door later and steal stuff. And yes, there were a few rings in S. Florida doing exactly that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:26:17 PM »
Talk to Mtnbkr.

His bit the big one last year and, in typical IT Geek fashion, he methodically put in a fair amount of research.  :laugh:

Me? I just run out and buy something and then slap it up. Instructions? What, do I look like a wimp or something?  =D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:30:38 PM »
Talk to Mtnbkr.

His bit the big one last year and, in typical IT Geek fashion, he methodically put in a fair amount of research.  :laugh:

Me? I just run out and buy something and then slap it up. Instructions? What, do I look like a wimp or something?  =D

???

;)

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:37:27 PM »
I just wanna fix it if I can - maybe the chain jumped a sprocket or something.

I hate this disposable world.

If I do put a new one in, then I'll research the new ones, as only a geek can geek on tech...
Blog under construction

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »
I had a similar problem last year.

The door jammed.  Theres a small distructable plastic gear inside mine that self destructs if the door is jammed; it keeps the inner workings from blowing up or something.

So I'd disconnect the door, make sure it moves freely, and pull the housing off; and see if you see something like that.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:29:26 AM »
there should be a rope pull handle that disengages the door from the chain

mine got f-ed up and I had to replace the prawl assembly in the latch
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »
The thing seems to move back and forth okay manually... I think the destructogear ate it due to cold weather, and constant use... They better sell 'em at Sears...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:13:45 AM »
???

;)

That's not my garage.

That's my gun safe.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 04:16:49 AM »
Speaking of disposable, Bogie...

Did the Maggies find a home? 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:22:10 AM »

The main drive gear in the Craftsman unit I had (came with the house and was about 15 years old) broke in half and the replacement assembly was 1/4 the cost of a new opener.  I replaced it with a belt drive unit from Lowes.  The belt drive models are much quieter (important if your garage is near a living space as ours is) but not as good if you have a heavy door.  My garage door is a single width model.

Chris

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »
The thing seems to move back and forth okay manually... I think the destructogear ate it due to cold weather, and constant use... They better sell 'em at Sears...

Ha!  No one carries parts for their products. Do let me know if you can get one.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »

That's not my garage.

That's my gun safe.

You better adjust that door - it's dragging on your linoleum ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

NickySantoro

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:05:57 PM »

It won't be at the retail store. Get the model number off the unit or the manual, then go here......
http://www.searspartsdirect.com

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »
great - they're going to be screaming if it isn't fixed. I'm probably going to get to go to HD and get a whole new one...
Blog under construction

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »
great - they're going to be screaming if it isn't fixed. I'm probably going to get to go to HD and get a whole new one...

Or you could just hire a mexican to stand there all day and open and close the door for you ...  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 02:43:32 PM »

They do.  I put in three or four a year for family/friends/clients.  It's no biggie.  The replacement gears run about $25 and come as a set.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »
I work on these everyday. It's easy to do, when you buy the kit it should come with bushings, worm gear, and sprocket assembly. Don't worry about replacing anything but the sprocket assy as everything else typically lasts the life of the opener (10-15 years). The sprocket assy is the wear part. 3 screws and the little gear for the limits are all you should have to remove after getting the case off.

Word of advice, if you replace your opener don't buy hardware store trash with a sectional rail. J-U-N-K
Instead go to your local garage door company and buy one with a solid rail. I recommend Liftmaster(which is starting to change their name to Access Master and is made by Chamberlin who also makes Craftsman). Buy it carry out and install it yourself, should be comparable to the carry out price at the hardware store, maybe a little more.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:02:46 PM by eyebrows »

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
Okay... The one that's in there has been in for ten years. And it's had HEAVY use... I'm going to replace it...

Chain or screw drive? What would YOU buy?
Blog under construction

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »
Speaking of Craftsman garage door openers---mine's working fine, now. But it takes spells where the remote will open but not close the door. You have to hold the inside button down to close the door. It has the safety light beam(?) switch, but takes spells where it will or won't work. FWIW, it's a chain drive, Model # ANcient!

Thanks.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
i recently saw one that lifted door from both sides from bottom  very quiet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
Bogie:
Belt drive is nice if you have a bedroom over the garage, otherwise chain works fine and costs less.

Bob F.:
Let me guess, you try to shut it with the remote and it stops, goes back up, and the light bulb blinks about 8 times. You're photoeyes are out of alignment, or at least your issue involves them. Photoeyes are the only thing that will cause a craftsman/liftmaster to blink it's light like that. Model # Ancient Craftsman openers also came with crappy photoeyes. The wire actually plugs into the back of them and the little contacts tend to corrode, newer ones don't have plugs.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
Speaking of Craftsman garage door openers---mine's working fine, now. But it takes spells where the remote will open but not close the door. You have to hold the inside button down to close the door. It has the safety light beam(?) switch, but takes spells where it will or won't work. FWIW, it's a chain drive, Model # ANcient!

Thanks.
Bob
I replaced mine with a genie screw drive this year.  I tried to keep the old safety light beams from the old unit and it behaved similar to that.  You might want to check your wiring. 

I had a Craftsman belt drive and the belt gave out.  The replacement assembly cost well over the half a new unit.  I had noticed little pieces of rubber on the floor before it failed, but it never clicked that they were from the belt.  :)  The Genie screw drive works great.  I don't think it is any louder than the older belt drive. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Blog under construction

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 06:27:18 AM »
Or you could just hire a mexican to stand there all day and open and close the door for you ...  =D

Probably cheaper and definitely more PC....illegal aliens have a smaller carbon footprint than machines....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.