Author Topic: Scumbag lawyer and plaintiff strike again.  (Read 7787 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Scumbag lawyer and plaintiff strike again.
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
Un-freaking-believable.  How in the hell can anyone justify these actions?

Judge's daughter sues driver she ran into during crash
By BRIAN ROGERS Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Dec. 18, 2008, 7:42AM

Nick de la Torre HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Elizabeth Shelton, shown with her father, juvenile court Judge Pat Shelton, had a blood alcohol concentration more than three times the legal limit when the SUV she was driving rear-ended a truck, killing her boyfriend.

Convicted last year of intoxication manslaughter for the death of her boyfriend, the 21-year-old daughter of a state district judge is suing the truck driver she ran into during a drunken driving crash.

Elizabeth Shelton, the daughter of juvenile judge Pat Shelton, is accusing truck driver Lance Bennett of negligence in the Oct. 23, 2007, wreck that killed her boyfriend Matthew McNiece.

Shelton had a blood alcohol concentration more than three times the legal limit, two tests showed. She was sentenced to eight years' probation and had to serve four months in jail.
Shelton, her family and the family of the boyfriend who was killed are suing for $20,000 for the destruction of the Lexus SUV she was driving and an undetermined amount for mental anguish, pain and suffering.

Bennett was driving the box truck that Shelton rear-ended on the Southwest Freeway near Kirby around 2 a.m.

Bennett's attorney, John Havins, said the lawsuit, filed in October, was the last chance to make a claim before the statute of limitations ran out.

He noted that Shelton named 16 defendants, including insurance companies and banks. "They're just throwing everything against the wall to see if anything sticks," Havins said.
During Shelton's trial, an expert for the defense testified there was evidence that Bennett swerved into Shelton's lane. An expert for the prosecution, however, said there wasn't evidence that Bennett got in her way.

Testimony also showed that the company Bennett was working for let the insurance on the truck lapse.

"The injuries and property damage sustained by (Shelton and her family) were not the result of intentional acts, but were accidental and caused by the negligence of the uninsured/underinsured driver," Shelton's attorney Mark Sandoval wrote in the lawsuit.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6170554.html
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Scumbag lawyer and plaintiff strike again.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
no, they were caused by your dumbass clients driving while intoxicated.  Whats your proof he swerved into her lane?  Even had he, she may well have avoided if not intoxicated.

People who bring such BS lawsuits should be jailed.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »
Any wonder people believe our "justice" system to be broken?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 03:31:59 PM »
no, they were caused by your dumbass clients driving while intoxicated.  Whats your proof he swerved into her lane?  Even had he, she may well have avoided if not intoxicated.

People who bring such BS lawsuits should be jailed.
Attitude adjustment via a 3-foot piece of re-bar applied generously to the head seems more fitting.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
And people wonder why there is "zero tolerance" for anything anymore.  It is because you can be sued into oblivion for any little thing that someone can argue as your fault.  Why do schools take zero tolerance on stupid things?  Not because school administrators believe any of the actions are required, but simply because they MUST cover their asses or be sued.  Part of the entitlement behavoir, as long as one can legally (say through the courts) steal someone's money (as part of some unjust lawsuit), they have no problem with the morality of it.  They don't think it is theft, they think they are entitled to it.

This is a perfect example.  This girl and her family feel entitled that they should feel no misfortune (even of their own doing).  Therefore, they need to blame someone else.  So they blame the poor schmuck that was driving a night shift (presumably she wasn't drunk during the day) truck route.  They feel it is his fault because he shouldn't have been on the road because it is illegal to drive with lapsed insurance.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »
She was sentenced to eight years' probation and had to serve four months in jail.

You're frigging kidding me. How much you wanna bet that if one of us was to negligently shoot someone while drunk we'd be hit with the book and then some?
Look, tiny text!

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:02:41 PM »
You're frigging kidding me. How much you wanna bet that if one of us was to negligently shoot someone while drunk we'd be hit with the book and then some?

And when her probation is up, she'll probably get to drive again.  :mad:
I hope she gets laughed out of court.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »
Did you guys miss this part?

"Elizabeth Shelton, shown with her father, juvenile court Judge Pat Shelton[/b"

Everyone in the Houston area was appalled that she basically got away with vehicular manslaughter and we all know why. She barely got a slap on the wrist and she's whining about that.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »
Must be nice to be related to a judge. Any chance the ethics committee will slap this guy?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »
I do find it particularly amusing that she is just 21, and he is a juvenile judge.  Hmm...

agricola

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:30:58 PM »
Good luck to them trying to overturn the decision of a criminal trial in civil court (especially in these circumstances), but it should at least make amusing coverage in the local papers. 

As an aside, surely one of the parts of probation would be to demonstrate remorse or at least accepting ones responsibility for the "accident"? 

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »
My truck driver defense would be that she is lucky he was on the road that night.
If he hadn't been she was so drunk she would have went head on with the next bridge abutment instead of his truck and she would be dead too.  His company should write off the damage to their truck as a charitable contribution.

He should counter sue her for mental anguish over being dragged into court  She should be charged with felony nitwittery.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
I definitely would be filing a counter suit were I him.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »
Hopefully, Matthew McNiece's family is suing the crap out this (censored by me) and her family.
Unbelievable.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »
the judge elected? that could be changed
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »
During Shelton's trial, an expert for the defense testified there was evidence that Bennett swerved into Shelton's lane.

More likely that there were two trucks and she tried to drive between them  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 10:18:53 PM »
In Israel, when one of the drivers in an accident is legally drunk, usually the procedure is to rule the accident to be his fault almost automatically, whatever the other circumstances. Is this the case in America?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:29:21 PM by Don't care »

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:08:30 AM »
My truck driver defense would be that she is lucky he was on the road that night.
If he hadn't been she was so drunk she would have went head on with the next bridge abutment instead of his truck and she would be dead too.  His company should write off the damage to their truck as a charitable contribution.

He should counter sue her for mental anguish over being dragged into court  She should be charged with felony nitwittery.

Yeah I've seen pictures of car vs abutment, not pretty.
Look, tiny text!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 06:13:29 AM »
I definitely would be filing a counter suit were I him.

Same here....unfortunately, Texas judges are a tight-knit lot. At best, the case will be dismissed w/ no recompense for the true victim here....

...maybe natural justice will prevail and the little lush will be rear-ended by a drunk driver herself...preferably without the presence of her SUV....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

taurusowner

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 06:31:36 AM »
In Israel, when one of the drivers in an accident is legally drunk, usually the procedure is to rule the accident to be his fault almost automatically, whatever the other circumstances. Is this the case in America?

I like that.  I think it should be extended to all obvious law breaking.  Like burglars who sue homeowners for getting injured while robbing their house.  If one is committing a crime while any incident happens, the right to sue for anything relating to that incident should be nullified.  The one knowingly breaking the law should get the the full helping of blame by default in any incident.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »
Hopefully, Matthew McNiece's family is suing the crap out this (censored by me) and her family.

Nope, his estate is on her side in the suit: http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/eDocs/Public/CaseDetails.aspx?CaseNbr=200862314&CDI=7#

I'm hoping some of the defendants will countersue for whatever they can come up with.  I notice she waited until the last minute to file, so that any counterclaims directly from the accident would have been beyond the statute of limitations by the time the defendants were served, but they may have some defamation or other claims based on statements made in the interim.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
I like that.  I think it should be extended to all obvious law breaking.  Like burglars who sue homeowners for getting injured while robbing their house.  If one is committing a crime while any incident happens, the right to sue for anything relating to that incident should be nullified.  The one knowingly breaking the law should get the the full helping of blame by default in any incident.

I don't think that makes any kind of sense, really, especially with traffic accidents - at least in the way it happens here, where the government uses it to absolve itself of responsibility with stuff like road planning - a lot of our roads are very unsafely constructed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »
A lot of times, people will ask me if they can be sued for something.  My answer is always yes.  Anyone can sue anyone else for anything.  Collecting a judgment is something else entirely.

What we all need to realize as members of the ARMED polite society is that if the unthinkable happens, and we must fire in defense of home or family, we will be sued.  Even if the whole thing is on video tape, showing the bad guy armed with a chain saw, wearing a hockey mask, forcing through the locked front door.  The family will sue.  Why?  becuase some POS lawyer will convince them that they will collect something from the insurance company, at the very least.  this is how so many of the personal inury lawyers get rich.  they don't take the good cases, they take 30%-50% of anything that walks through the door, and make up quality with volume.

And why do insurance companies pay?  It costs too much to defend a case, so they throw cash at the problem to make it go away, then raise the rates of the policy holder to keep that profit margun high.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
Anyone can sue anyone else for anything.

Absolultely correct.  Unfortunately, most people seem to think that "sue" means "win."  In reality, "sue" means to file a lawsuit, nothing more.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the lack of knowledge since so many people are so damn lazy that they can't even think for themselves.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?