Author Topic: Gaffemaster does it again...  (Read 5234 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Gaffemaster does it again...
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:03:07 AM »
Nothing like a self-fulfilling prophecy. You utter moron...

Biden: U.S. Economy in Danger of 'Absolutely Tanking'

December 19, 2008 3:42 PM

Vice President-Elect Joe Biden said the U.S. economy is in danger of "absolutely tanking" and will need a second stimulus package in the $600-billion to $700-billion range.

"The economy is in much worse shape than we thought it was in," Biden told me during an exclusive interview -- his first since becoming vice president-elect--  to air this Sunday on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2008/12/biden-us-econom.html

De Selby

• friend
Re: Gaffemaster does it again...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:05:33 AM »
Stating the obvious is not a gaffe.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
I'd like to know where in the hell they are gonna get the money? Maybe Russia wants to buy a portion of the US like China did.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »
I'd like to know where in the hell they are gonna get the money? Maybe Russia wants to buy a portion of the US like China did.
I don't want to know where they'll get the money.  Because I don't want them to get it in the first place.

And to think I have a family member married to one of that cretin's biggest donors.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 01:57:03 PM »

Actually, I'm starting to rather like Biden, or at least find him useful.

Next thing he is going to tell us, is that Obama really isn't a US citizen - ha, ha, ha, we fooled you  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 06:58:54 PM »
Actually, I'm starting to rather like Biden, or at least find him useful.

Next thing he is going to tell us, is that Obama really isn't a US citizen - ha, ha, ha, we fooled you  :laugh:
Well, Bill Richardson already called Obama an "immigrant" . . .

Anyway, I've little doubt that stories about our economic recovery have already been written . . . it's just, doggone it, a matter of scheduling. Newspaper editors probably won't be able to start fitting them in until somewhere around January 20.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what's so bad about present circumstances compared to other depressed conditions I've lived through, or have been told about by older generations. Certainly there's no shortage of consumers with cart-fulls of stuff exiting the Best Buys, Costco's, etc. these past weeks.

Anyways, somebody call me when bread goes for $1 million Deutsch Marks a loaf so I can start to worry.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »
"The economy is in much worse shape than we thought it was in," Biden told me during an exclusive interview
It's a shame he waited until after the election to admit he and Obama knew nothing about economic conditions.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:56:01 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »
It's a shame he waited until after the election to admit he and Obama knew nothing about economic conditions.

They never had time to learn anything, as they were too busy promising everybody everything. Now that they've had a crash course in reality from those in the current administration, they realize that running a country is a more difficult job than being a community organizer or running a campaign.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Well, Bill Richardson already called Obama an "immigrant" . . .

Big deal....he's part Native American (like me)....he probably thinks all of y'all are immigrants....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »
Big deal....he's part Native American (like me)....he probably thinks all of y'all are immigrants....  =D

I was gonna say the average idiot probably thinks Hawaii is a foreign country.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »

Actually, it is.  He is a public figure who has a responsibility for watching what he says in order to avoid making things worse.  Lehman was in trouble but was working to find a way to survive.  When Schumer came out and all but named them as the next to go bankrupt, Lehman lost all hope of survival because a public figure in a position to know "insider" information (based on Schumer's position) said they were going under.  The market reacted and Lehman died when it didn't have to. 

So yes, stating the "obvious" is a gaffe when it's sole consequence is to further undermine confidence, which is what is ultimately killing the economy.  The election is over, and he doesn't need to stab the economy more in the back through irresponsible statements in order to win.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 01:42:01 PM »

The election is over, and he doesn't need to stab the economy more in the back through irresponsible statements in order to win.

Don't assume that winning is the only reason Biden and Obama might want the economy to suffer.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »
Well, I'm 100% Native American myself, having been born in Chicago. (uhh . . . Chicago IS still America isn't it? Not like Kalifornia?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 04:33:48 AM »
Senators get to mouth-off with impunity.  Executives have to watch their words carefully.  Biden has no such ability.  In his head is out his mouth.  Between Biden's verbal vomit and O'Bama's furtive searching for pronouns the next 4 years will be a treat.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

Exactly, two sitting US Senators and they are, Shocked, Shocked I tell you, to discover that the economy is heading south.....  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 10:53:36 AM »
Biden's just the rube cackling at the first table.   He doesn't write the jokes.   We have guys with laureate-level backgrounds to do that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 02:20:39 PM »
So yes, stating the "obvious" is a gaffe when it's sole consequence is to further undermine confidence, which is what is ultimately killing the economy.    

And the left agreed with that sentiment during the 2000 campaign, when they criticized Bush for "talking down the economy."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife