Author Topic: Got snow?  (Read 5783 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Got snow?
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »
Apparently these people have figured out what to do with it all:

http://www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Got snow?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »
My you know whats shriveled up just thinking about that much snow.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »
I just spent from 0530 till 0900 cleaning off trucks and cars and blowing it all off to the side while wondering exactly why it was I left FL and came back. So I have a pretty good inkling of what you're talking about.  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
No snow this morning, but when I got up at 6:15 to put the dogs out it was right at 0 on the thermometer on the back porch, which means that it was probably a couple of degrees colder because the thermo is hanging on the wall against the house.

Wind is whipping pretty good, too.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:14:41 AM »
Snow, the other four letter word.  Strange, there is not much in the media about global warming this week...

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:21:44 AM »
Nothing here. 12 degrees at 0600 this morning. Forcast shows 60's on thursday. Go figure.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:58:28 AM »
Currently -9F here at Festung Scout.  High today supposed to be 6F.  We've got about 8-10 inches of snow on the ground, but the 45+mph winds have it drifted pretty good.  Roads are clear though and it being Chicago, everyone goes about their daily routine.

The kids aren't going to be happy when they have to go fetch more firewood.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
-12 F when I left for work this AM, high today is +11.

More snow in the forecast, already have 8-10" on the ground, starting to look a lot like a repeat of last winter. I wonder if we will have massive flooding in the spring again.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »
"starting to look a lot like a repeat of last winter."

My friends up in Cedar Rapids are already ready to kill over that prospect.

I got an obscenity-laced e-mail from my friend who was complaining bitterly that it was only the first day of winter. :D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 11:36:15 AM »
"starting to look a lot like a repeat of last winter."

My friends up in Cedar Rapids are already ready to kill over that prospect.

I got an obscenity-laced e-mail from my friend who was complaining bitterly that it was only the first day of winter. :D

I came really close to quiting my job and moving to Florida mid February last year. I spent about 2-3 weeks scouring help wanted ads in Southern Florida. Never been there, but the weather report looked nice. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
Portland, the city that never sees snow, is currently under about a foot.  The city has basically shut down.  The wife and I have walked to a couple of stores (mostly because we didn't want other people playing bumper cars with our car, and we figure we can get out of the way pretty quickly on foot) and just watching people try to drive who have no clue is really rather humorous.  My favorite is the guy (yes, it's ALWAYS a guy) who starts spinning the wheels and therefore steps on the gas even harder, and seems shocked when that doesn't do anything other than make the wheels spin even faster. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »
Portland, the city that never sees snow, is currently under about a foot.  The city has basically shut down.  The wife and I have walked to a couple of stores (mostly because we didn't want other people playing bumper cars with our car, and we figure we can get out of the way pretty quickly on foot) and just watching people try to drive who have no clue is really rather humorous.  My favorite is the guy (yes, it's ALWAYS a guy) who starts spinning the wheels and therefore steps on the gas even harder, and seems shocked when that doesn't do anything other than make the wheels spin even faster. 

Yup, I'm in the Pearl District, and everything is shut down.  I've never seen this much snow in Portland.  In Montana, yes, Portland, no.  I've been enjoying it, I just got a new snowboarding outfit, so I've gone on a few long walks, and it's been nice and peaceful.  I didn't feel like doing research today anyways.   :laugh:  To the mountain I go!
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
I've never seen this much snow in Portland.  In Montana, yes, Portland, no.

Here at Taigh Giuthas in Montana we only have 2 or 3 inches on the ground.  =|

But we are in the dry part of Montana, where we typically get 2 inches of snow and 4 feet of wind ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »
My favorite is the guy (yes, it's ALWAYS a guy) who starts spinning the wheels and therefore steps on the gas even harder, and seems shocked when that doesn't do anything other than make the wheels spin even faster. 

Be nice, some of us are married to that guy.

I have noticed that he does actually know how to get unstuck; spinning 'em is an expression of frustration rather than stoopidity.                                                                 

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
What I love is the ones who creep along and are then totally surprised when they hit that hill and can't make it because they have no momentum.  ;/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »
Be nice, some of us are married to that guy.

I have noticed that he does actually know how to get unstuck; spinning 'em is an expression of frustration rather than stoopidity.                                                                 
or are married to that lady and have a slight incline on the driveway.

Uranus is a gas giant.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
Single digits and low doubles.

Nearly four feet of snow in the last five days.

Where I work (in Spokane) our office actually closed Thursday because the plows hadn't gotten enough of the main roads cleared.

Much shoveling.

For your amusement . . .

Daughter is home for Xmas from Ft Jackson, SC, and -- not content to experience winter in just her home state -- she took the bus.  Which was delayed in Indiana because Chicago was closed (canceled lots of flights and buses).  And which was again delayed in Chicago and Minneapolis.  And which then broke down 30 miles east of Fargo.

At which point, one soldier's father -- whose home is in Wenatchee, some 170 miles west of Spokane -- hearing of yet another delay, decides the bus company isn't going to get this done, and jumps in his Mazda Protege and drives the 710 miles to Billings, MT to intercept the bus.  He fills the car with all the soldiers that are headed to Spokane and surrounding area (including my daughter), and heads out, as the bus line announces another delay leaving Billings.

Slow going, they estimate they will be in Butte in three hours, it takes five; then they estimate two hours to Missoula, it takes four; three hours to Coeur d'Alene, it takes seven (including a fun hour changing a tire in the blizzard); and finally they roll into Post Falls at 3:00am, get stuck on the off-ramp (which isn't fully plowed), and finally hit our place at 3:30am today.

Dude wouldn't let me pay for gas, wouldn't let me fix them some eats, would only accept a pot of coffee to fill the thermos jug.

They promptly headed out into the storm to complete the last 200 mile leg of their trip.

When I first heard that my daughter was catching a ride with another soldier's dad, who had driven all the way to Billings, I was skeptical (read:  that man is certifiably crazy!), but when they hit Coeur d'Alene they talked to one of the troops who stayed with the bus in Billings:  they were all still in Billings.

So, thank you, Mr. Crazy Man, for getting my daughter home for Xmas at least a day and a half sooner than the bus would have.

Of course, there's always the return trip, after New Year's Day.

Halle-friggin-lujah.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:48:52 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »

I rather enjoy spinning the rear wheels in my truck.  It's equal parts frustration at having a 2wd truck with an open diff, and a goofy enjoyment in watching the speedometer insult my intelligence.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »
When I first heard that my daughter was catching a ride with another soldier's dad, who had driven all the way to Billings, I was skeptical (read:  that man is certifiably crazy!)

Well, at least he wasn't a shower curtain ring salesman ...  :laugh:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »
I rather enjoy spinning the rear wheels in my truck.  It's equal parts frustration at having a 2wd truck with an open diff, and a goofy enjoyment in watching the speedometer insult my intelligence.

After the recent storms, I've convinced the wife that swapping in a front axle, transfer case, and other misc parts to upgrade the F250 to 4x4 is worthwhile.  :angel:

Apparently, it's one of the easiest trucks on the road to convert.  Even the mounting brackets on the frame match up!

Now I just need to wait for half-off day at the local scrapyard, and borrow my buddies gas powered compressor.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »
My favorite is the guy (yes, it's ALWAYS a guy) who starts spinning the wheels and therefore steps on the gas even harder, and seems shocked when that doesn't do anything other than make the wheels spin even faster. 

Just saw a couple cars doing that here the other day. All the other cars were slowly creeping up the hill as fast as traction would allow. Two cars were sliding slowly backwards down the hill with their wheels spinning as fast as they could make them go. They both had bewildered expressions on their face, no doubt wondering why they were going backwards when their spedometer said 60MPH.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
After the recent storms, I've convinced the wife that swapping in a front axle, transfer case, and other misc parts to upgrade the F250 to 4x4 is worthwhile.  :angel:

Apparently, it's one of the easiest trucks on the road to convert.  Even the mounting brackets on the frame match up!

Now I just need to wait for half-off day at the local scrapyard, and borrow my buddies gas powered compressor.

I think it would be cheaper in the long run just to buy a factory 4x4 F250.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 04:30:44 PM »
I think it would be cheaper in the long run just to buy a factory 4x4 F250.

Depends on how much you value your time.

And, I suppose how much the scrap yard tried to ream me for parts.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
Watched a guy try to do that once. Don't think it was a Ford, maybe a Chevy. But he got it most of the way until he found out none of the holes in the frame  matched up with the new crossmember. He needed the truck next day or something. Watched him reverse the whole process soon afterwards, cussing all the way...   :laugh:

make sue it's really going to work before you try it!  =D

Cliff47

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »
Yup, as a matter of fact, we got too much of the silly stuff.  One reason i moved from Spokane to Puget Sound in 1984 (milder winters, yah, sure).  After this last weekend, my car was doing its snowbank imitation.  When I got to the office this morning (about 03:30), I heard things start to detatch from the hood and trunk when I parked under cover.  Yup, the snow on the roof is now on the floor of the parking garage.