Author Topic: starter rifle for 8yo bb? airsoft? pellet?  (Read 6793 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
starter rifle for 8yo bb? airsoft? pellet?
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »
i would like to get my daughter a starter rifle. i'm thinking airsoft, as i would like to set up an indoor "range" for winter practice. i don't know anything about airsoft. are there any worth practicing with? i would like to be able to hit clothespins and tin cans at 20 ft or so.

any thoughts?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: starter rifle for 8yo bb? airsoft? pellet?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
My suggesting is steel BB or pellet.  Preferably something muscle powered rather then PCP.

Reasoning:

Pellets are cheap, and reasonably accurate through a rifled barrel.  Can an airsoft approach the accuracy and range of a pellet gun? (Honest question, I don't know...)
A good Pellet gun will last a lifetime.
Pellets can be used to twack small game.
Hand-powered rifles never run out of expensive gas cylinders.
An 8 yr old probably won't be able to pressurize a pellet rifle without you.  This gives you an added measure of security as safe gun handling technique is learned.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Kiddo has an airsoft pistol, modeled after a S&W large frame 9mm. Can't remember which model. Problem with it is, the little plastic bb's ricochet off everything...

It's...ok.

I would go with a low velocity plunger-type bb gun, a bb/pellet trap, and a good, large, heavy blanket to drape behind the trap. Daisy Red Ryder somes to mind this time of year. :laugh:

FWIW, My first bb gun was similar to the Red Ryder, but it had a rear peep sight and a hooded front sight with interchangeable inserts. Can't remember what it was called or the model number, but it was made by Daisy.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:03:11 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
If it were a dedicated indoor/basement/garage plinker, I'd go with the Airsoft. The BB's are also very cheap, and while it's a warranty "no-no" if they go into a soft trap, like a hung blanket with a scoop at the bottom made into a "J" in cross-section, they can be re-used.

They can be quite accurate. And with the "Hop up" which is an adjustable controlled backspin roller right at the chamber, (like a pitchers curve-ball but in the vertical plane to fight gravity) you can get them to shoot quite flat within 10-15 yards.

The downside to Airsoft is that it's almost all tactical/military replicas, or the cheap retail end mostly has the clear plastic/orange "toy" look. There's not much, if any in the way of traditional/target looking Airsoft out there. That might throw a wrench into any respect/safety lessons you're trying to teach. But I think it shouldn't matter much with a good calm kid.

Otherwise I agree with everyone else's recommendation to get a single cock spring piston bb rifle, like the Daisy Woodstock or Red-Ryder commemorative. They only shoot around 350fps or so, and can be shot indoors with a cardboard box full of rags for a target, with a loose blanket as a backstop as well.
I promise not to duck.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
Another vote for a BB/pellet gun. Just not a red rider. Mine's falling apart, and its only 8 years old. Some of that is my fault. Now, my dad, on the other hand, has a BB gun from the 50's thats in perfect condition.

Any BB gun should last longer than the rechargeable batteries of an airsoft gun. All they require are BBs and oil, no extra parts to lose.

Just make sure your kid's mature enough to use BBs. I don't think I was when I was 8. Not all kids are the way I was, though.

Good airsoft is dang expensive too, or so I hear.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »

FWIW, My first bb gun was similar to the Red Ryder, but it had a rear peep sight and a hooded front sight with interchangeable inserts. Can't remember what it was called or the model number, but it was made by Daisy.

mine also, was it the "champion 99"? did it have the spring loaded inserts that were removed from the end of the barrel?

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
Name doesn't strike any bells but
did it have the spring loaded inserts that were removed from the end of the barrel?
is right. Two little tabs, as I recall, pull them rearward, swap inserts, release tabs.

That bb gun was dead-on accurate.

The one at the bottom of the page looks right.

http://www.daisy.com/

It's cool they're still making them, I got mine 30 years ago =| Might have to go get one, now...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:19:06 PM by grislyatoms »

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:55:55 PM »
I'd say start her off with a .22 Cricket or Chipmunk. Bullet traps for 22 are readily available and not all that expensive.

My 7 year old granddaughter has her very own pink Cricket (an abomination IMO - no gun should be pink but that's what she wanted so that's what she got - it's granddad's perogative to spoil his grandkids if he wants). She shoots it about as well as can be expected based on her level of interest which I expect is more a function of spending the day with PawPaw than a real interest in shooting.

Anyway even with an indoor range a .22 is very doable with the right equipment.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »

Me too, 
Model 99.

Used to jam a little wad of tissue paper down the barrel and pour in a little sand. 
Shot flies out of the air over a dog poop bait pile.

Ahh youth....
7-11 was a part time job.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »
My 7 year old granddaughter has her very own pink Cricket (an abomination IMO - no gun should be pink but that's what she wanted so that's what she got

My daughter wants one of those as well.  When she gets a little older, I'll buy one for her. :)

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »
My 7 year old granddaughter has her very own pink Cricket (an abomination IMO - no gun should be pink but that's what she wanted so that's what she got - it's granddad's perogative to spoil his grandkids if he wants).

One of my ex's had two hot pink Beretta 92's.  Very glossy and 'metallic' looking.   Wrong doesn't even begin to cover it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »
Defiantly BB gun.  If you can find one that will do either BB's or .177 pellets even better.

From there they also make some really neat realistic handguns that shoot BB's and pellets. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
Name doesn't strike any bells but is right. Two little tabs, as I recall, pull them rearward, swap inserts, release tabs.

That bb gun was dead-on accurate.

The one at the bottom of the page looks right.

http://www.daisy.com/

It's cool they're still making them, I got mine 30 years ago =| Might have to go get one, now...

that one at the bottom of the page is the champion 499. must be an updated version at 179.00 (and only a single shot now) they are claiming it to be dubbed the "most accurate bb gun in the world" .

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 06:06:06 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:45:59 PM by Don't care »

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 10:18:05 AM »
that one at the bottom of the page is the champion 499. must be an updated version at 179.00 (and only a single shot now) they are claiming it to be dubbed the "most accurate bb gun in the world" .

That's not it, then. Sure looks like it, though. The one I had held 300 bb's, give or take a bit. $179 is pretty steep for what it is, too.

For that price I'd be more likely to just throw down a few more ducats and get a 10/22... =|

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
well, although i really like the peep sight on the 499, i went with the red ryder as it is a repeater rather than a muzzle loading single shot. slightly disappointed with the quality control as one of the three receiver bolt nuts was finger tight, and another was lying in the bottom of the box. also, even though they make the stock out of wood, the lever and trigger parts are now made of plastic.

as an aside, i was simultaneously let down, and proud of my daughter for wanting to do an experiment from her new science kit before wanting to try out her rifle. although after an hour or so she is asking me when we can go shooting!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
I bought one for my daughter a couple of years ago around Christmas.

We have had a lot of fun with it. It's nice to stop somewhere out in the boonies, set up a quick target gallery, and let her blast away. Don't have to worry about passers-by/LEO's getting all bent out of shape due to noise or perceived dangers.

although after an hour or so she is asking me when we can go shooting!

That's great! A couple paper plates, some cans, and you're all set! Have fun!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 12:02:28 AM »
My suggesting is steel BB or pellet.  Preferably something muscle powered rather then PCP.

Spoilsport.  It's so much fun to give them a double-dose of angel dust and watch them spit the BBs at 500fps.

Oh, you're talking about something else...nevermind.

thumbody

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 09:56:59 AM »
That's not it, then. Sure looks like it, though. The one I had held 300 bb's, give or take a bit. $179 is pretty steep for what it is, too.

For that price I'd be more likely to just throw down a few more ducats and get a 10/22... =|
The 499 is the updated accurrized version of the 99.If I remember right the tube on ours held about 50 BBs
My fingers sure would have appreciated the anti beartrap feature(a mistake I only made once).

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/05/daisy-avanti-499-champion-part-1-worlds.html

The $179 is MSRP I saw them online at Amazon for $125
There is a model 99 on gunsamerica for $50.00 though it seems to have velocity issues . I don't know if they can be rebuilt or not probably needs seals and spring replaced
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976979848/Non-Guns/Air-Rifles-Pistols/Childs-Lever-Action/Daisy_Model_99.htm
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:53:27 AM by thumbody »
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »
The neatest thing about airsoft is that they can more accurately resemble an actual firearm than most BB guns.
Get him this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Marushin-M1-Garand-TANKER-8mm-GBB-Airsoft-Rifle-FS32_W0QQitemZ270306050021QQcmdZViewItem
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 04:34:27 PM »
that tanker is nice......and still cheaper than a real m1.....but barely. also noticed it's an 8mm airsoft most of the standard ones are 6mm, aren't they?

we went out in the backyard and shot a few tin cans and bottles thurs afternoon. she was hitting the 2 liter bottles pretty well at 20 ft. i could put 1 inch groups, so i guess we'll live whith that until something more serious is needed. i saw instruction for a trigger job on the 499, so i'm going to see if their is a way to tune-up the trigger on the red ryder.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:39:26 PM by geronimotwo »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 08:40:47 PM »
I got a Daisy BB gun when I was 4 . . . spent a lot of time plinking at targets in the back yard with Dad.

So . . . I suggest a BB or pellet gun.

BE SURE YOUR 8YO WEARS GOOD EYE PROTECTION, AS BB'S CAN BOUNCE!!!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »
Daisy BB Guns help:

http://daisy.com/agelabels.html

I got my son this when he was 7.  http://daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16143&cat=249&page=1   IIRC correctly, I think I paid like $40 for it including a box of BB's and some lead .177 pellets.

I'd also recommend a cricket rifle.

http://www.crickett.com/

edit to correct, this is the one I got him:  http://daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16136&cat=249&page=1
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
that tanker is nice......and still cheaper than a real m1.....but barely. also noticed it's an 8mm airsoft most of the standard ones are 6mm, aren't they?

we went out in the backyard and shot a few tin cans and bottles thurs afternoon. she was hitting the 2 liter bottles pretty well at 20 ft. i could put 1 inch groups, so i guess we'll live whith that until something more serious is needed. i saw instruction for a trigger job on the 499, so i'm going to see if their is a way to tune-up the trigger on the red ryder.
That's the only problem.  The good airsoft costs as much as the real thing sometimes, that's why I don't have any. =p
It's kind of sad watching the videos on Youtube, these guys have toys that cost more than real guns and they think they have the coolest thing ever.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.