Author Topic: arizonians or anyone in the area  (Read 1699 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
arizonians or anyone in the area
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:26:34 PM »
I'm thinking of relocating to the Phoenix area and I see that it averages about 104° during the summer. Would you say that it's really freakin' hot? I was in Tucson last June and it was about 90 but with the dryness it was comfortable, I'm not sure what 15 degrees hotter would do, though.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 05:42:33 PM »
Having lived for many years in the midwest, and now living in the (on the eastern edge of the) southwest I'll offer my opinion.

Yes, I would say it's really freakin hot. That said, I don't think it's as hot as you might think, with you're body being acclimated to  what the "feels like" temperature of summer humidity at 65% to 80% is.

I think that a fair comparison is 104 degrees and 5% humidity in Phoenix equals 97 degrees and 40% humidity in Dallas equals 92 degrees and 90% humidity in Jacksonville, Mississippi. In other words, those half dozen days a year in Cleveland that are 90 degrees and 95% humidity are what the entire summer and several weeks of both the spring and fall feel like in Phoenix. That said, no miserable 5 months of winter. Just a few cold days.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 06:32:31 PM »
I've been in Phoenix when it was 110°. It was definitely hot, but so dry, the heat wasn't oppressive. I minded the heat much more in Minneapolis years ago, when the temperature was 95° and the relative humidity was nearly as high.

I liked Phoenix a lot; unfortunately, the entire area is awash in illegal aliens.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:57:45 PM »
I could be a part time minuteman militiaman after work lol. I just talked with my friend that lives out there, she also says that it's not too bad

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 07:24:36 PM »
It reaches 90 in April and 100 by May, and often stays 100 into October.  It reached 110 in May a few years ago.  May is so dry, though; I was told that the average precipitation for the last 100 years for the whole month of May is 0.1 inch.

It is so dry in May and June that the 100 degrees doesn't bother you.  Plus, every place has air conditioning and a lot of places have pools.  Summer nights where the low is 90 are fantastic when you have a pool you can splash around in under the stars.

July and August the humidity goes up a bit and you get quite a few weeks of 110s.  I saw it reach 122 back in 1990.  The 110+ days get a bit fatiguing, especially as they tend to coincide with the higher humidity July and August.  But I love it all.

The average high in January is 70.

When it's really hot, you tend to stay mostly inside, just like in the north where when it's really cold, you stay inside.  The difference is you don't have to shovel the heat.

Don't tell anyone.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »
I'm originally from Indiana, and a 100 degree day here feels like a 85 degree day back home.  Not that bad, but it definatly gets hot.

If Arizona is anything like Texas, you will go from your air-conditioned house to your air-conditioned car into your air-conditioned workplace and then reverse the process in the evening.  They do tend to go overboard on the A/C though, and if anyone told me that I'd have to wear a sweater to work in the middle of July in freakin' TEXAS, I'd have thought they were flippin' nuts.  We dress for the A/C, not the weather.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 06:17:17 AM »
I lived in Yuma for 5 years.  The heat takes some getting used to.  You learn to do most of your shopping and yard work early or late.  I used to go to walmart at Midnight during the summer.
Its a dry heat.  Stick your head in the oven for a simulation.
In my experience in visiting, Phoenix is a very poorly laid out city, despite a decent grid system.  Traffic is horrendus.  Home prices are on the rise, as is the population.  But, its western living.  There certainly are worse places to call home.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 06:36:38 AM »
It's warm for sure.  They are usually a good 5 degrees hotter up there than here.  It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.  During the hot season most of your outdoor activities take place in the eve.  That being said, I have no problems playing golf in the middle of the day.  Our intramural golf season is from June-August and starts at noon. The temp usually hits 100 by 11 during the summer months.

Winter is beautiful here.  Right now the high is 84 and the low is 54.  Nice weather for sure.  Feb is the coldest month with the temps dipping into the mid 30's at night and 50's or better during the day.  

As for Phoenix, its a big city for sure.  The average house is going for around $250,000.  Heard that on the radio yesterday.  I know denfoote, sumpnz, and WhoKnowsWho live up that way and they can give you more info if you PM them on THR.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 08:15:48 AM »
July, August, September in God's Waiting Room=>these are the times that fry mens' soles!:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 08:22:57 AM »
LOL nice way of putting it, Tejon.  I remember a kid making the news one hot summer.  Ran across the parking lot in his trailer park, and got 2nd* burns on his barefeet.  
That reminds me.  If you can find an adequate location, espeically your own plot of land, trailer homes are great in Arizona due to the lack of real natural disasters.  If for some reason I ever moved back, I'd consider it in a heartbeat, especially if I got a few acres.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”