Author Topic: What did you get for Christmas?  (Read 11742 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: What did you get for Christmas?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »
I hope yours works better than the Asus my MIL got.  We ended up returning it and getting the Windows XP based Acer version (which is much nicer in form and function).

I *like* Linux, but Asus' implementation was a joke and made me look forward to XP.  How's the Dell?

Chris
I don't have the Dell yet, so I can't say. 

For some reason, you can't get netbooks with both XP and large SSD drives, only one or the other.  Probably some screwball licensing requirement from Microsoft.  I figure I'll try Ubuntu for a while, but if it doesn't get the job done for me then I'll install an old copy of XP I have laying around here. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
Interesting.  Most of the Linux based ones we saw had either 4 or 8gig.  The XP models were all 8 or 16 (HP's was 16).  With my MIL's Acer set up, she has just under 4 gig free plus an 8gig SDHC card in one of its two slots.

Chris

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
Huh.  Maybe it's a Dell-specific thing, then.  The 32gb SSD was only available on models that come with Ubuntu.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
Could be.  I've not seen any with 32 until you mentioned yours.  The HP with 16 was the biggest one I saw in person.

FWIW, I think raw disk space isn't too terribly important on these devices since you're not going to want to do a lot with them.   

Chris

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 09:28:37 PM »
Got:

- My CHL
- A Leatherman Surge
- Ammo (not much, but hey)
- The Firefly boxed set  =D
- Serenity DVD (see previous)
- Empire by Orson Scott Card (DAMNED GOOD book)
- American Conquest and Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 98 (new games these days suck)
- Clothes  ;/
- Sleep
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams