Author Topic: Air raid!  (Read 52016 times)

agricola

• friend
Re: Air raid!
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 09:10:46 AM »
what a depressing thread this is.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
Election fever. Ollmert needs  to pretend to be at least as smart as Bibi.

What does that mean?

This is long overdue. I just think they're still not using enough force, since they're now sending Grads further into Israel. If they have to level the whole damn place, so be it. Warn the people there to get out, then level it. Israel has thermobarics, don't they?

When you're dealing with savages whose entire system of reward/punishment is that of five year old children, the only thing they'll understand is that their actions have consequences that hurt, every single time.

And why do people in the modern age keep making the mistake of thinking that "limited warfare" ever does anything but cause you to lose? Hamas is deliberately targeting civilian populations with unguided rockets, and then screaming about their installations being attacked with pinpoint munitions. That has to end. Now.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:23:25 AM by Manedwolf »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »
What does that mean?

That he's not motivated by the desire to solve the problem, but by a desire to look good for the cameras, so his party can make good at the polls in two months.

That's not the way to go about it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 10:06:29 AM »
I hope, if they do a ground operation, that it's well coordinated and they've learned from US forces how to deal with insurgent fire.

In other words, if you see a rocket launch, paint the launch point with a laser, and a Hellfire from an orbiting drone nails it in seconds. Something on the order of that.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »
Gotta hand it to the muslims, they sure do know how to work the media.  On the other hand, poke a bear in the butt with a stick enough times, he will turn around and kick your ass.  Some people just don't understand this....chris3

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »
Air raid, once more. Apparently it hit really nearby, we could hear the windows shaking in my house. 

However, I will disappoint you: WE ARE STILL HERE.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:41 AM »
Wow, only 23 miles  ;/

We are 25 miles (by road at least) from the nearest town with a grocery store.

Keep safe, my friends.  But I don't know how  =| ?  Even if you stay in your house, a bomb could hit you dead on  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »
Air raid, once more. Apparently it hit really nearby, we could hear the windows shaking in my house. 

However, I will disappoint you: WE ARE STILL HERE.

It's funny; almost no one here (in the US) can even imagine what that would be like (myself included); windows shaking from bombs being dropped in the distance.

One of my coworkers father in law is from the UK...  He still remembers lying awake in bed, listening to the bombs being dropped on London during WWII, praying that their house wouldn't get hit.

It's almost surreal.  People here live in relative peace.

2swap

• friend
  • : 4 5 ;
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »
I am becoming scared. I did joke that this was the risk compensation for not getting outside today' when we left micro's room. But this was really loud. We'll see what the news report.

On the one hand, I should probably do my family a favor and get on the next flight to Germany, but on the other hand, it would feel deeply wrong to leave him alone in this danger.

I know that the chance of something really happening to us is slim, but I am only human and thus commit the statistic fallacy of misjudging the importance of seldom events.
: spin
  92 47 124 45 45 58 emit dup emit emit
  begin 8 emit dup emit swap 2swap key? until ;

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
I am becoming scared. I did joke that this was the risk compensation for not getting outside today' when we left micro's room. But this was really loud. We'll see what the news report.

On the one hand, I should probably do my family a favor and get on the next flight to Germany, but on the other hand, it would feel deeply wrong to leave him alone in this danger.

I know that the chance of something really happening to us is slim, but I am only human and thus commit the statistic fallacy of misjudging the importance of seldom events.

I would stay inside. The report is that they're firing Grads at you guys now, which have about a 20kg warhead, high explosive. They're a lot more powerful and have much longer range than the Katyushas they like.

Wonder how many came from Iran...

Also, what the hell...

Israel is considering suspending its offensive on Hamas-ruled Gaza to give Hamas militants an opening to halt rocket fire on Israel, but the threat of a ground offensive remains if the cease-fire does not hold, an Israeli defense official said Tuesday.

Are they that stupid? They'll just reload and start again.

Here's an idea. Offer a ceasefire if they stop firing rockets immediately. Then have a ceasefire. With the caveat that if ONE more rocket comes over, the Strip gets leveled.

That's what I'd do.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:47:28 AM by Manedwolf »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
According to the government, they may have some Iranian Fajr-3 missiles in stock, too.

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 12:13:44 PM »
Israeli election cycle is nearing? I see a lot of news concerning candidates.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
Israeli election cycle is nearing? I see a lot of news concerning candidates.

Our political system is not like yours, in that we often have elections before the four-year term runs out. This is such an occasion.

We are having an election in February.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
According to the government, they may have some Iranian Fajr-3 missiles in stock, too.

Hopefully nothing bigger. What happened to those lasers we gave you? Weren't they going to try those in field tests? Seems like this would be a good time to try them out.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
Hopefully nothing bigger. What happened to those lasers we gave you? Weren't they going to try those in field tests? Seems like this would be a good time to try them out.

THey're permanently stuck in developement.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »
THey're permanently stuck in developement.

But they already successfully shot down lots of Katyushas! Why not deploy them?

Put the things on buildings in the border cities, manned and ready to ping down every rocket that comes over?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
Here's an idea. Offer a ceasefire if they stop firing rockets immediately. Then have a ceasefire. With the caveat that if ONE more rocket comes over, the Strip gets leveled.

That's what I'd do.
Same here. Barbarians only understand force and violence. I'm surprised that Israel hasn't violenced the *expletive deleted*it out of the Gaza Strip already. That requires the patience of a saint.
Micro & 2swap, take care.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
But they already successfully shot down lots of Katyushas! Why not deploy them?

Put the things on buildings in the border cities, manned and ready to ping down every rocket that comes over?

They are 'in the works'. Welcome to ISraeli government bureaucracy.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »
They are 'in the works'. Welcome to ISraeli government bureaucracy.

Ugh. That would be a psychological deterrent, too. "It's no good to fire rockets, the Israelis have laser beams like the American Star Wars, they destroy every one, none hit the ground".

Makes too much sense, I guess.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »
Ugh. That would be a psychological deterrent, too. "It's no good to fire rockets, the Israelis have laser beams like the American Star Wars, they destroy every one, none hit the ground".

Makes too much sense, I guess.

The contractors are just not done miliking it for every taxpayer dime they can get yet. Wait a few more years.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »
For those who bemoan the "poor innocent Pali's"  imagine what the response would be if Canada started lobbing missiles into Detroit (wait, bad analogy, as that would be "urban renewal"  ;/) or Mexico flinging them into El Paso or San Diego.

IIRC, we sent a buttload of troops into Mexico back in 1916 on a Punitive Expedition after one of their bad guys attacked and burned a town in New Mexico.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancho_Villa_Expedition
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2008, 12:49:15 PM »
The contractors are just not done miliking it for every taxpayer dime they can get yet. Wait a few more years.

It isn't Grumman's fault. They finished and delivered it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
It isn't Grumman's fault. They finished and delivered it.

I mean, Israeli contractors.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2008, 02:46:49 PM »
Youtube, like google, yahoo, MS & the MSM is capitulating to the savages of the world by allowing the savages to dictate what shall be deemed acceptable.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/pollak/48462

What YouTube Doesn’t Want You to See
Noah Pollak - 12.30.2008 - 11:00 AM

Yesterday, the IDF did something innovative: it opened a channel on YouTube and posted videos to it that help explain why Israel is fighting Hamas. The site hosted about a dozen videos showing things like Israeli humanitarian aid deliveries to Gaza and airstrikes that prevented terrorists from firing rockets at Israeli civilians.

This was apparently too much for YouTube, which moments ago removed several videos from the IDF’s channel, including the most-watched video, which showed a group of Hamas goons being blown up in an air strike as they loaded Katyusha missiles onto a truck. The point of such footage, as if it needed to be said, is not to revel in violence — it is to show the legitimacy of Israeli self-defense.

The rank double-standard that YouTube has applied to Israel is disturbing. YouTube hosts all manner of similar footage — much of it far more gory than the grainy infrared images posted by the IDF — of U.S. air strikes. Why is YouTube capitulating to those who do not wish for Israel to be able to tell its side of the story?

UPDATE: the IDF just uploaded a new video to its channel, this one of Hamas’ headquarters going out of business. Let’s see how long it lasts. Click here to watch.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »
Youtube, like google, yahoo, MS & the MSM is capitulating to the savages of the world by allowing the savages to dictate what shall be deemed acceptable.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/pollak/48462

What YouTube Doesn’t Want You to See
Noah Pollak - 12.30.2008 - 11:00 AM

Yesterday, the IDF did something innovative: it opened a channel on YouTube and posted videos to it that help explain why Israel is fighting Hamas. The site hosted about a dozen videos showing things like Israeli humanitarian aid deliveries to Gaza and airstrikes that prevented terrorists from firing rockets at Israeli civilians.

This was apparently too much for YouTube, which moments ago removed several videos from the IDF’s channel, including the most-watched video, which showed a group of Hamas goons being blown up in an air strike as they loaded Katyusha missiles onto a truck. The point of such footage, as if it needed to be said, is not to revel in violence — it is to show the legitimacy of Israeli self-defense.

The rank double-standard that YouTube has applied to Israel is disturbing. YouTube hosts all manner of similar footage — much of it far more gory than the grainy infrared images posted by the IDF — of U.S. air strikes. Why is YouTube capitulating to those who do not wish for Israel to be able to tell its side of the story?

UPDATE: the IDF just uploaded a new video to its channel, this one of Hamas’ headquarters going out of business. Let’s see how long it lasts. Click here to watch.

YouTube also hosts plenty of terrorist recruiting videos and Islamist propaganda, including footage of US vehicles being blown up, accompanied by Islamic music and chants.