Author Topic: Falling oil prices endanger alternative sources  (Read 5172 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Falling oil prices endanger alternative sources
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 03:10:38 AM »
Do the electric cars have heating and A/C in them?
I have heard that they do not.  If not,I am sure they will not sell vry many.  Here the temps are often at an uncomfortably levels, both winter and summer.

I would like a hybrid where they have an engine for the heating, A/C and for charging the battery.  This would give you unlimited range in comfort.

Well, the Chevy Volt is going to do exactly what you want:  It's basically a gas powered generator that runs the rest of the car.  I'd imagine they suck heat off the generator for heat though.

One of the things that bugs me about the DIY electric car crowd is that they're too "green" minded in some areas.  Heat being one of them.  Nobody turns to electric heat if they've got gas or propane available to them in their homes.  Why should we be any different in electric cars?  Toss a propane tank hookup onto the things and run a space heater off the tank.  Sure, it's pumping CO2 into the atmosphere, but it's still a heck of a lot better than running the whole car off hydrocarbons.  Come summer time ditch the LP tank and save the weight.  Heck, if done right I'm sure a good design could be made that would remove the entire heater itself.

Air conditioning on the other hand is going to suck juice of the batteries.  There's no way around that one aside from tossing a generator onto the car, which brings us back to the Volt design. 

go_bang

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »
I'll believe the GM is serious about the Volt when I finally see them on dealer lots with price tags on them.  Outside of one or two "working" prototypes, it has been a big "Look at us  we're doing something green" vaporware project.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »
One of the things that bugs me about the DIY electric car crowd is that they're too "green" minded in some areas.

I think it's not a matter of being too 'green'.  While the ability to convert a car to electric is a daunting task indeed, it's mostly mechanical and electrical, they don't necessarily have the experience with gas.

Would YOU want to try to home-brew a mobile gas or liquid fuel heater?  One that can be activated while in the cab, won't spew CO into the cabin, can be throttled/controlled, etc...?

Tossing a resistive heating element in there isn't efficient, but it is cheap, easy, and relatively safe compared to propane heat.

I think that there have been SOME to do something like that - but it could partially be invention exhaustion - by the time they've made the car, it's too much effort to go that last inch.  They just declare it a fair weather car, using a more traditional IC engined vehicle when the weather's foul.

Air conditioning on the other hand is going to suck juice of the batteries.  There's no way around that one aside from tossing a generator onto the car, which brings us back to the Volt design.

Well, they could use a condensation cooler, or that one Einstein co-patented.  Still, probably better to drive an electric pump with all the electricity you have available anyways.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »
Would YOU want to try to home-brew a mobile gas or liquid fuel heater?  One that can be activated while in the cab, won't spew CO into the cabin, can be throttled/controlled, etc...?

There are gasoline powered heaters for vintage VW Beetles.  My mechanic back in the day had one in his Bug.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
I had one of those auxiliary gasoline heaters in my '69 VW Bug, too.

It came in darned handy during the Wisconsin winters!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"