Author Topic: New developments at Yellowstone - Harmonic Tremors? (Merged Threads)  (Read 50682 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: New developments at Yellowstone - Harmonic Tremors? (Merged Threads)
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
They must share a back end with the 30Gb Zunes :)

You may have solved it, 41magsnub.  But that information must be suppressed if it deflects blame from fistful. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
The Capital Commerce columnist at U.S. News has an interesting story here.  It contains a lengthy email exchange with a scientist at the U.S. Geological Survey, Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital-commerce/2009/01/01/earthquakes-at-yellowstone-supervolcano-update-.html

I find it curious that more coverage is coming from folks like this than news reporters in the MSM.  I guess it's a non-story at this point.  Perhaps it's just not salicious enough.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »
And airborne?
Proof of evolution.  Cutthroat Trout morph into flying fish  =D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »
C'mon people, is the Lava Lake thing possible?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »

Are there lava lakes anywhere else in the world?

I don't think there are... ergo it isn't possible.  You would shed heat too quickly for the lava to remain [dr. evil accent] molten magma [/dr. evil accent].  It would crust over, turn to rock, and seal the flow so that pressure could build again.

There may be some small lava vents on the deepest parts of the sea floor, but those are a heck of a lot closer to the [evil] magma [/evil] flows.

I don't think we'll get a puddle of liquid rock in place of Yellowstone Lake.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2009, 06:05:35 PM »
No lava lakes in the world?  Uh, remember the Kilauea volcano in Hawaii?
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2009, 06:19:44 PM »
No lava lakes in the world?  Uh, remember the Kilauea volcano in Hawaii?
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/

Very well, I sit corrected. =)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »
Yellowstone is going to become Mordor?

I can haz ring?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
I'm in Nevada, can I expect a government bailout? =D  
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »
I want instant gratification.  Blow up, already!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2009, 06:43:24 PM »

IIRC, not at Yellowstone, unfortunately. I believe that whatever tells the geologists these things, the heat and pressure of the "hotspot", the mineral makeup of the magma, dissolved gasses in it etc., explodes it into ash instantly on contact with regular air pressure. Which also means there's no fancy high-tech way to slowly release the hotspot, like drilling and nukes etc. either.

It's like having 300 degree liquid superheated water in a pressure bottle then opening it up.

There might be a magma lake at the end of the eruption, but there won't be anyone around to see it. Perhaps it would be imaged from satellites controlled from other continents.

I promise not to duck.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »
Oh.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2009, 12:02:52 AM »
Pyroclastic flow with roidrage.
From the History channel some years ago I remember that the caldera changes with the tectonic plate movement. The current pos where all these tremors are located may be the western edge of the next kick.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »
There are some pretty neat lava lakes in Africa, too, IIRC, near the rift zone. 

Lava Lake at Mount Nyiragongo.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2009, 12:50:58 AM »
the heat and pressure of the "hotspot", the mineral makeup of the magma, dissolved gasses in it etc.,

Silica is pretty much it.  High silica content produces high viscosity lava and carries a lot of other mineral content.  This produces tall volcanoes and pyroclastic flows.  Cooler lava, but bigger messes.  Think Mt. Saint Helens.

Low silica content produces low-viscosity lava that flows easily.  There is usually no tall feature to the volcano.  Think Hawaii.

Water vapor influences the violence of the eruption.  A sudden release of pressure causes the trapped vapor to expand, and the volcano blows its top, to the tune of gigatons, sometimes.  No water vapor, no boom.

Usually we hear about high-silica, high-water vapor volcanoes because they're big and nasty, but there are violent low-viscostiy events, and quiet smoky ones, too. 

Certain mixes of gas and silica are produced by certain types of hotspots, so a plume gives us a hot but quiet extrusion, and subduction gives us cooler but more explosive events.

At least that's how I remember it.  Apologies to Mrs. Boldt if I'm wrong.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »

Are there lava lakes anywhere else in the world?

Mt. Erebus.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2009, 03:20:58 AM »
Hey, it stopped.

Is that like it stopped as in it stopped, or stopped as like when they stop shooting just before the bomb?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2009, 03:36:04 AM »
"Ruh, roh."

There still appears to be some activity, but it has slowed quite a bit.  We wait and see...

mfree

• friend
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2009, 11:06:08 AM »
Anyone thought of the Deccan Traps scenario?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »
The latest and greatest from the USGS:

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY INFORMATION RELEASE
Friday, January 2, 2009 19:30 MST (Saturday, January 3, 2009 02:30 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW#1205-01-)
44.43°N 110.67°W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Yellowstone Lake Earthquake Swarm Update: 2 January 2008

The University of Utah Seismograph Stations reports that as of 1800 MST on 2 January 2009, seismicity of the ongoing Yellowstone earthquake swarm continues. Over 500 earthquakes, as large as M 3.9, have been recorded by an automated earthquake system since the inception of this unusual earthquake sequence that began Dec. 27, 2008. More than 300 of these events have been reviewed and evaluated by seismic analysts. Depths of the earthquakes range from ~ 1km to around 10 km. We note that the earthquakes extend northward from central Yellowstone Lake for ~10 km toward the Fishing Bridge area, with a migration of recent earthquakes toward the north. Some of the dozen M3+ earthquakes were felt in the Lake, Grant Village and Old Faithful areas. Personnel of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory continue to evaluate this earthquake sequence and will provide information to the NPS, USGS and the public as it evolves.

<<Boilerplate that has appeared in the last few previous statements snipped.>>

grampster

• friend
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2009, 04:26:36 PM »
Big quake around Indonesia today.  7.2 on the R scale.  Any connection to Yellowstone?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »
Big quake around Indonesia today.  7.2 on the R scale.  Any connection to Yellowstone?

From what I've read, there is little connection between distant events.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »

Same planet ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2009, 06:59:03 PM »
Common pool of magma and the mantle is not divided as tectonic plates are.
Could be a gravitation anomaly on some unseen or noted mass within an astronomical units reach of earth. That would stir the still hot nuclear core and cause a wiggle of the earths center of gravity.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »
Common pool of magma and the mantle is not divided as tectonic plates are.
Could be a gravitation anomaly on some unseen or noted mass within an astronomical units reach of earth. That would stir the still hot nuclear core and cause a wiggle of the earths center of gravity.

..Where did you study geoscience? O_o