Author Topic: Weird A/V Problem. Pioneer Receiver "Poweroff"  (Read 5249 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Weird A/V Problem. Pioneer Receiver "Poweroff"
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
I have a Pioneer Receiver VSX-D457 that's about 10 years old, and for which the manual is long gone. As of yesterday, after turning it on, the display blinks "POWEROFF" for a few seconds and the receiver returns to standby. No combination of unplugging, onboard or remote controls I've tried returns the unit to normal operation.

Any suggestions for a fix? I was contemplating  a low-end home theater to replace my mishmash of aging components,  but didn't want to do it in desperation.

ETA: It's powering a pair of KLH bookshelf speakers that are about 18 years old, and I have had fairly frequent overloads. disconnected speakers and powered on with no change.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:01:29 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Re: Weird A/V Problem. Pioneer Receiver "Poweroff"
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:01:44 PM »
Did some looking around, sorry couldn't help with the manual, but I found the manual for a D498, which should be in similar family of products.  Unfortunately, the troubleshooting section didn't really address your specific problem.   =(

How long did you leave it unplugged for?  Try leaving it unplugged for a half hour or so.

Does it power up with no load?  (speakers disconnected)

On the other hand, there's a complete unit on Evil-Bay for $25 or so....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-VSX-D457-A-V-Receiver-with-True-Surround-Dolby_W0QQitemZ290285980257QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item290285980257&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
erik:

Thanks. I left it unplugged for an hour plus, and same condition with no speakers connected. I'm probably going to shop around for a $3-400 home theater combo to tide us over. I'm tired of using 4 or 5 remotes anyway.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
The unit is going senile. Most likely from heat overload. As in the power transistors are covered in dust. If you can take the cover off and vacuum the dust off it may just come back to life. If the heat got to be too much..oh well nice try.

Jim