Author Topic: Firefly TV show  (Read 34730 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Firefly TV show
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2009, 09:50:06 AM »
Who Framed Roger Rabbit had probably the best sightlight correographing of any movie I have ever seen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »

Honestly, if they'd started with "Attack of the Clones", and made the third movie between "Revenge of the Sith" and "A New Hope", and never had Midichlorians or Jar-Jar, and Portman and Christensen were replaced with actors who'd not take Lucas' direction literally, the prequel trilogy would have been mostly worthy.

So very true.....well said, AJ....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »
Don't make us sic Jar Jar Binks on you...

Gack! What have I said about EVER mentioning that abomination's name on this forum ever again?!?  Now I have to go watch a Firefly episode to get him out of my head. That character alone is more than enough to require a firing squad for Lucas.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »
Gack! What have I said about EVER mentioning that abomination's name on this forum ever again?!?  Now I have to go watch a Firefly episode to get him out of my head. That character alone is more than enough to require a firing squad for Lucas.

Here. Worst product ever marketed and sold. The red thing is a lollipop.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
Worst product ever marketed and sold.

Why did you have to say that?  That's going to summon all the worst this forum has to offer, from the Disturbing Jesus Light Switch, to Zardoz.   [Shakes head sadly.] =(

I'm just going to hope the Jar-Jar lollipop was sold only in Japan, where they like that sort of thing. 

And I'm glad you all are geeking out over sightlines.  Maybe I'm NOT the most no-life loser, after all.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »
And I'm glad you all are geeking out over sightlines.  Maybe I'm NOT the most no-life loser, after all.  :P

Maybe some of us have a career where we sometimes get video of people on greenscreen to knock out and add in stuff later, and get paid for it.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »
What say we all play nice, hmmm?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »
Maybe some of us have a career where we sometimes get video of people on greenscreen to knock out and add in stuff later, and get paid for it.

Exactly!

There may indeed be failures in regard to greenscreen work in the trilogy, but they were probably more noticeable to you as a professional than they were to me - suffice to say I watched AoC three times and never even THOUGHT of these issues.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Didn't this topic used to be about Firefly?  You know, Mal, Kaylee, River?

hmmmph
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
Exactly!

There may indeed be failures in regard to greenscreen work in the trilogy, but they were probably more noticeable to you as a professional than they were to me - suffice to say I watched AoC three times and never even THOUGHT of these issues.

Didn't the wooden dialog, terrible acting, and shameless "I bet this would be a good pre-teen video game" scenes annoy you?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »
Didn't the wooden dialog, terrible acting, and shameless "I bet this would be a good pre-teen video game" scenes annoy you?

I LOVE YOU

I LOVE YOU MORE

I LOVE YOU MORE THAN LOVE

I LOVE YOU MORE THAN LOVING LOVE, LOVE

Wonderful, George.

And for heaven's sake what WAS with that conveyor belt platforming game scene in II? I was expecting Mario to come out.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »
You mean the "sightlines? We don't need sightlines" CG fest.

I agree with the "sightlines" thing, in spades. And I also agree the Arena scene was the worst, and I am not a pro, or even an amateur  either. And I remember thinking how bad it was in the theater.

Portman was the worst in that whole sequence. It's obvious she's having a hard time looking at the ping-pong balls, or lines of tape, or whatever they used in the green-screen studio. Whether riding one of the animals, or, when she's on top of that rock surrounded, she's just flailing about, left, right, left, right, left, like she was doing the Star Wars mega-battle Hokey-Pokey dance, and they finally told her, "Don't worry, ILM is going to have so much CGI crap going on, however you turn, there will be something going on in that direction."

It's clear to me now that when it comes to his directoral style for the big visual scenes, Lucas is a "throw everything in, and the kitchen sink too" more-is-better type. It works to a degree for space battles, and all the buildings and air-traffic for the city-planet of Corusecant. Or the dark hellish lava of Mustafarr where Obi-Wan and Anikan have their duel. However, when you look at the re-worked CGI enhanced scenes like the original trilogy, such as the re-done Mos Eisly with extra animals, robots, and speeder-bikes etc. "Trying too hard" comes to mind for me immediately. The Arena scene is just... bleah.

When Lucas was held in check by the limited technology of the 70's and 80's, namely the blue-screen optical printing process, hand-made matte paintings, and latex aliens, he was unwittingly forced to achieve a kind of balance that reached the audience. When he had unlimited money and unlimited computing power, well, we see what we got...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:27:16 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
Lucas has the same issue you see in Stephen King and the last 2 Matrix movies. He's good, as long as he's being reined in. King's earlier works are taut and flow well. In "It" he spends 50 pages on the backstory of a character who's only role in the book is finding a corpse. That's it. 50 pages of history so she can walk into a bathroom and see her husband dead.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »

...no?

It's a Star Wars movie. It's about guys with laser swords. It's the same universe in which lance cavalry on rocket-propelled horses make sense.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
Zardoz pic + disturbing light switch = "Worst. Product. Ever!"
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 05:05:05 PM »

I use the :P emoticon to indicate light-hearted teasing.  I think most people take it that way.

I have noticed that a particular person only uses it when he is serious.  Perhaps my comment was received in a different spirit than that which was intended. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »

We ARE playing nice....no one has mentioned Glenn Campbell or anything....    =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
i don't like epiosodes I, II, or III nearly as much as i liked the origional IV, V, and VI. and i don't like the enhanced stuff.

the reason i liked the movies is that it was a neat universe. it had a great story. it was Si-FI all the way. and yes, while it did flow along the same plot as Dune, it had enough diffrences to be interesting as well as a nice omage to Hubert's story of a young messiah.

when they announced the release of I i was so excited. i want to see the orgins. what i got was some poor story, a LOT of obvious CG and some really crappy acting (in my opinion the only decent on in the bunch was Liam Neison). plus that Jar jar thing ( i would wince whenever it opened its mouth) i couldn't have been more disappointed.

i refused to see the second in theaters, based on I, and i was glad i didn't. Ani and portman in the feild made me want to puke. the only reason me and dad went to see III was we wanted to see the transition from Ani to Darth. the sad truth was that III was the only one worth watching and even that was not what it could have been.

if you liked it, well, whatever floats your boat. as for me i'll pass and rewatch firefly or Dune.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »
i refused to see the second in theaters, based on I, and i was glad i didn't. Ani and portman in the feild made me want to puke. the only reason me and dad went to see III was we wanted to see the transition from Ani to Darth. the sad truth was that III was the only one worth watching and even that was not what it could have been.

He even ruined that scene.

It started off beautifully. I actually got chills when the helmet sealed with a hiss, the first few bars of the Imperial March with the first, long-remembered mechanical breath.

But then... "NOOOOOOOOOO!"

Which destroyed the whole scene.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »

And for heaven's sake what WAS with that conveyor belt platforming game scene in II? I was expecting Mario to come out.

Reminds me of this (I'm too old for Mario):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Z_qiFwDvQ

Wish we could have seen Ani with a bottle cap stamped on his head (@ the 2:15 mark).

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »
And back to the original topic, ThinkGeek has Blue Sun T-shirts on sale:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/popculture/a231/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:01 PM »
I need you geeks to help me out over at this Blade Runner thread.  Please?  I'll let you hang out with me, so you can look cool. 

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=17358.0

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 11:23:21 PM »
He even ruined that scene.

It started off beautifully. I actually got chills when the helmet sealed with a hiss, the first few bars of the Imperial March with the first, long-remembered mechanical breath.

But then... "NOOOOOOOOOO!"

Which destroyed the whole scene.

I laughed my ass off when I saw/heard that.  It was so bad, it sounded exactly like the melodramatic "Noooooo!" a buddy of mine used to use for comedic effect.

And it looked like a bad Halloween costume around the legs.  I swear I think I saw the material billowing about his calves, like a one-size-fits-all Vader outfit for kids.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »
(in my opinion the only decent on in the bunch was Liam Neison)
Yeah, Lucas killed off the best actor in the whole trilogy in the first flick.  Pure genius.

if you liked it, well, whatever floats your boat. as for me i'll pass and rewatch firefly or Dune.

That's it!

I was trying to think of another movie that so wasted it potential it became laughable:  Dune
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2009, 12:13:12 AM »
I was trying to think of another movie that so wasted it potential it became laughable:  Dune
Be very careful how you answer this: The "Sci Fi Channel Original Movie," or the 1984 David Lynch movie?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams