Author Topic: And The Hits Just Keep On Comin' !!!  (Read 4707 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
And The Hits Just Keep On Comin' !!!
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »
And now one of Obama's Appointee's is trouble......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090104/ap_on_el_pr/richardson

WASHINGTON – New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on Sunday announced that he was withdrawing his nomination to be President-elect Barack Obama's commerce secretary amid a grand jury investigation into how some of his political donors won a lucrative state contract.

Richardson's withdrawal was the first disruption of Obama's Cabinet process and the second "pay-to-play" investigation that has touched Obama's transition to the presidency. The president-elect has remained above the fray in both the case of arrested Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich and with the New Mexico case.

A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a New Mexico state contract worth more than $1 billion. Richardson said in a statement issued by the Obama transition office that the investigation could take weeks or months but expressed confidence it will show he and his administration acted properly.

"But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process," Richardson said. "Given the gravity of the economic situation the nation is facing, I could not in good conscience ask the president-elect and his administration to delay for one day the important work that needs to be done."

Richardson said he will remain as governor and told Obama, "I am eager to serve in the future in any way he deems useful."

The announcement came ahead of Obama's Monday meetings with congressional leaders on a massive economic recovery bill he wants lawmakers to pass quickly.

Obama said he has accepted Richardson's withdrawal, first reported by NBC News, "with deep regret."

"Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama said. "It is a measure of his willingness to put the nation first that he has removed himself as a candidate for the Cabinet to avoid any delay in filling this important economic post at this critical time. Although we must move quickly to fill the void left by Governor Richardson's decision, I look forward to his future service to our country and in my administration."

A person familiar with the proceedings has told The Associated Press that the grand jury is looking into possible "pay-to-play" dealings between CDR Financial Products and someone in a position to push the contract through with the state of New Mexico.

State documents show CDR was paid a total of $1.48 million in 2004 and 2005 for its work on a transportation program.

Richardson ran against Obama in the Democratic presidential primary, but withdrew after a poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary.

He is one of the most prominent Hispanics in the Democratic Party, having served in Congress and as President Clinton's ambassador to the United Nations and energy secretary. As governor, he has kept up an international profile with a specialty in dealing with rouge nations. Obama also considered him to be secretary of state.

CDR and its CEO, David Rubin, have contributed at least $110,000 to three political committees formed by Richardson, according to an AP review of campaign finance records.

The largest donation, $75,000, was made by CDR in June 2004 — a couple of months after the transportation financing arrangement won state approval — to a political committee that Richardson established before the Democratic National Convention that year.

Hmmmm, Change sure looks like Business as Usual.......

Que Pete Townsend and the Who......."Meet the new boss, same as the old boss !!"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: And The Hits Just Keep On Comin' !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »
IT's a shame; he's well qualified and nowhere near as horrible as many of his other appointees.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:34:01 PM »
IT's a shame; he's well qualified and nowhere near as horrible as many of his other appointees.

Agreed, Richardson is pretty good.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
Agreed, Richardson is pretty good.

He's just another leftist extremist. He may be less appallingly awful than some; that doesn't, however, make him good.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »
Richardson is just about the only one of the nationally-recognized Democrats whose sanity isn't in serious doubt.

Mind you, I don't agree with most of what he's been advocating, but I think he's the kind of guy I could sit down and have a beer with and not have his end of the conversation limited to rehearsed talking points.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:59:28 AM »
Richardson is a democrat I could vote for if backed into a corner. His being a western governor would make it a lot easier to live with. I'd certainly feel a lot better with him in the white house than the Chicago mafia that's about to move in.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »
. . . I'd certainly feel a lot better with him in the white house than the Chicago mafia that's about to move in.
But the Chicago mafia will be surrounded by the Arkansas mob (i.e., the Clinton gang) to keep them in line.  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
But the Chicago mafia will be surrounded by the Arkansas mob (i.e., the Clinton gang) to keep them in line.  ;/

Hillbillies vs Hoods.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 11:03:32 AM »
As governor, he has kept up an international profile with a specialty in dealing with rouge nations.

Spelling is clearly not AP's strong suit.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »
I think "rouge nation" is quite apt for a lot of what's going down these days.

If it were only the Chicago mafia we have to worry about...  Instead we have a harmonic convergence of mafias from Chicago, Las Vegas, and Baltimore, and the neo-mafia from Little Rock all flowering at the same time.

Then there was the flap at Los Alamos that was never quite resolved...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »

Quite a bit of Clinton's mafia were from Chicago.....

Bill Daley (Richie's brother)
Rahm Emanuel

to name two off the top of my head.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.