Author Topic: Obama names Leon Panetta for head of CIA. Supported AWB.  (Read 12244 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Obama names Leon Panetta for head of CIA. Supported AWB.
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
California Democrat, of course. Environmental causes, all of that. And...in an old interview.

MR. PANETTA: It's not a problem because the record is there. I mean, the American debate reaxpeople know the facts. They--you can listen to both candidates talk, and, uh, obviously they have their own way of speaking to the American people. But the record is clear, and the President speaks to that record. When you--when we came into office, we were facing $300 billion deficits. We have cut the deficit by 60 percent. That's fact. When we talk about jobs, when we came in the economy was coming out of a recession, jobs, few jobs had been produced in our economy. We've got 10 ½ million jobs. When you look at crime in the streets and the ability of the President to put 100,000 cops out there and get that passed, to the assault weapons ban, the Brady Bill, uh, these are all accomplishments--

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/election/october96/debate_reax_10-7.html

MR. PANETTA: This, this whole campaign and this whole election is really about how do you affect the lives of people in this country. I think if there was a frustration for people in the Republican convention, it's that a lot of it was obviously to try to develop the definition of who Bob Dole was and what the party was, as opposed to what are the steps we're going to take in terms of moving to the future. What we wanted to do was to try to focus on the issues, and people were quoted as saying, you know, we didn't get enough about what are they going to really do about my life and about how it's going to affect my kids and my future.

What we wanted to do, on the contrary, was to show that this is about real people, it is about issues like what do you do about disability, what kind of research do we provide for the kind of problems that Christopher Reeve had, what kind of--what do we do about the gun laws in this country, and that's what Sarah and Jim Brady addressed, what do we about education, what do you about health care , what do we do about jobs, I mean, those are the fundamental issues that people really care about, and having a Christopher Reeve speak to that, what happens is the American people really tune in to that.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/election/august96/panetta_8-27.html

F___.  =(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:04:43 PM by Manedwolf »

buzz_knox

• friend
Re: Obama names Leon Panetta for head of CIA. Supported AWB.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »
So, Obama is not only recreating the Clinton era, but he's distilling it into its worst constituent parts.  Lovely.

I wonder if Reno will be nominated for any open SCOTUS positions.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »
Mane, you of all people, what did you expect from The One?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »
I'm worried about this more for what it will do to our foreign intelligence infrastructure.  I may be wrong, but I don't think the CIA Director has much pull re: domestic gun laws?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »
I'm worried about this more for what it will do to our foreign intelligence infrastructure.  I may be wrong, but I don't think the CIA Director has much pull re: domestic gun laws?

Unless he decides to focus the CIA more on helping the BATFE at home, ignoring foreign threats.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »
Panetta's only background with intelligence is his lack thereof.......

He has ZERO background in intel.....

I have ZERO hope that this bozo could figure out how to work a stapler, much less prevent a terrorist attack in the US.

Time to go reload more ammo, we're gonna need it......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
Panetta's only background with intelligence is his lack thereof.......

He has ZERO background in intel.....

I have ZERO hope that this bozo could figure out how to work a stapler, much less prevent a terrorist attack in the US.

Time to go reload more ammo, we're gonna need it......

I do not want the war coming here. But if they screw up, that's precisely what will happen. =(

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »
The people who will suffer first and most from decisions like this will be those who live in the D.C. orbit.  Panetta is a career ultra-liberal with no background in the field.  I wouldn't want my security depending on him.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 03:52:47 PM »
Ideology aside, Panetta is a political hack. Just what we need guiding our intelligence community in the current international climate. (Visualizing Panetta next to graphic) "You can see that due to a reduction in operational activity, our operational failure rate has decreased, once again demonstrating the effectiveness of this administration's intelligence policy."
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 04:06:29 PM »
"You can see that due to a reduction in operational activity, our operational failure rate has decreased . . ."
"Since we fired all our spies, we have no spy screw-ups."

"We also realize that with no doctors, there will be no medical malpractice . . . "

;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 05:04:39 PM »
[sincerity] Well, yeah, but some representatives of the Democratic (sic) party have tossed wishy-washy statements of support for the Second Amendment into campaign speeches. [/sincerity]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 05:49:54 PM »
The only choice worse than Panetta would be Norman Pinetta.....  :rolleyes:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19:18 PM »
I shake my head in amazement at how O'Bama's administration is taking on the form of Jimmuh Carter's administration.  Seems to me Carter's boy was Stansfield Turner who likewise had little intel experience.  Stansfield promptly fired something like 300 (or was it 600) spooks in favor of more spending on satellites.  He and his handler, Jimmuh, was promptly faced with the Iranian Hostage Grab.  Faced with doing something, anything, Jimmuh brought us the Desert Fiasco and the rest is history.  We are still paying the price for Carter's idiocy.

I just can not wait to see what the latest team will deliver.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »
Assuming the R's have half a brain and stop eating their children over stoopid stuff, The Irish One's appointments almost guarantee handing them back the legislature in 2 years.

Never mind, ain't gonna happen.  Lost my head for a minute.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
We are still paying the price for Carter's idiocy.

Islamic terrorist savagry wouldn't be a world force today if not for that sub-contemptible Carter. If he had acted like an American instead of a spineless Englishman, the World Trade Center would still be standing today.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »

"Islamic terrorist savagry wouldn't be a world force today if not for that sub-contemptible Carter. If he had acted like an American instead of a spineless Englishman, ignorant, whining, leftist, self hating, sycophantic, communist, wussie, sociopath the World Trade Center would still be standing today."

There.  I fixed it for you. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »
Please elaborate on how Jimmy Carter contributed to 911?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 04:15:54 AM »

His ineptitude in dealing with Middle Eastern terrorists is what allowed them to grow from regional annoyance to globe-spanning threat, and his appeasement is what emboldened them to do so. We looked weak, for the first time, and they saw it. :P

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 08:13:33 AM »

His response to the taking of the American embassy in Tehran taught the mullahs that they could stand against America and win.  The Iranian President certainly knows that lesson, having been one of the hostage takers.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
Feinstein is pissy about this.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who this week begins her tenure as the first female head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said she was not consulted on the choice and indicated she might oppose it.

"I was not informed about the selection of Leon Panetta to be the CIA director," Feinstein said. "My position has consistently been that I believe the agency is best served by having an intelligence professional in charge at this time."

A senior aide to Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.), the outgoing chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said the senator "would have concerns" about a Panetta nomination.

Rockefeller "thinks very highly of Panetta," the aide said. "But he's puzzled by the selection. He has concerns because he has always believed that the director of CIA needs to be someone with significant operational intelligence experience and someone outside the political realm."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-cia-panetta6-2009jan06,0,5514283.story

AWESOME! If they fight amongst themselves, they won't get around to screwing up America and will merely be ineffectual. :lol:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »

AWESOME! If they fight amongst themselves, they won't get around to screwing up America and will merely be ineffectual. :lol:

Which was, I believe, the idea the founders had in the first place. Keep the different parts of government fighting amongst each other.

Too bad President Bush tried to "get along."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 09:48:42 AM »
Carter's inept handling of Tehran has already been mentioned, but recall that his policies helped finance the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, which set up the current troubles there, including the rise of the Taliban. And of course, don't forget his family was involved in lobbying on the behalf of a terrorist state, Muamma Khadaffi's Libya.

We probably don't know the full story, but a number of directors of the Carter Center up and quit over Jimmy's blatant anti-semitism in a recent book in which he compared Israel to the apartheid government of South Africa.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »
Panetta?

What, Soros was too busy?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »

What, Soros was too busy?

He didn't want to take a pay cut....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
I'm longing for the day the vicious, back-stabbing cutthroats in Congress turn on The One to try to insulate themselves from the mess they've made of the country. Let the disillusioning begin!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.