Author Topic: Obama names Leon Panetta for head of CIA. Supported AWB.  (Read 12242 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: Obama names Leon Panetta for head of CIA. Supported AWB.
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
Let the disillusioning begin!

You'll wait until January 22 like the rest of us, young man. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
I though he got sworn in on 20 Jan.....I'm not going to wait two whole days to be disappointed......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
I'm not going to wait two whole days to be disappointed

We can only hope. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
I though he got sworn in on 20 Jan

I blocked out a solid 24 hours for the Media Lovefest.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
I blocked out a solid 24 hours for the Media Lovefest.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »
So the recession will offically declared over on 21 Jan.....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 10:31:21 PM »
So the recession will offically declared over on 21 Jan.....

You may be kidding, but you are closing to be correct than you realize.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
I hear he is changing his name to Barack Klaatu Obama...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 02:30:29 AM »
Unless he decides to focus the CIA more on helping the BATFE at home, ignoring foreign threats.

Whoa.

It doesn't work that way - not at all.

They can certainly share technology, which happens amongst all branches of government, including my reconnaissance unit getting meteorological modeling software free from NOAA just for the asking.

You're suggesting that the CIA assist the BATFE in enforcement of the latter's jurisdiction by virtue of the former's surveillance and intelligence capabilities.   

That's a big no-no, and an egregious violation of many laws, including the Intelligence Oversight rules enacted by Executive Order under President Ford.  Suffice it to say, The Agency is not given carte blanche license to spy on American citizens, and is in fact answerable to both the Attorney General and the President with respect to those laws. 

The CIA does what their charter tells them they can or cannot do, as does the BATFE and any other alphabet-soup federal agency.  Those charters are clearly defined, and overlap of the sort you're suggesting does not happen, although it would probably make for some good paperback fiction. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 10:11:40 AM »
Back in the early 1993 when Mir Aimal Kasi killed two CIA employees and wounded three others the CIA couldn't even participate actively in the investigation.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »

That's a big no-no, and an egregious violation of many laws.....

Like that's stopped the Federal government before.....  ;/

I wouldn't be surprised if more of our intelligence assets get focused on domestic territory than remain on foreign targets.....remember that phone-tap program thing during the Clinton admin?  (Echelon, IIRC...)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 01:08:30 PM »
Like that's stopped the Federal government before.....  ;/

I wouldn't be surprised if more of our intelligence assets get focused on domestic territory than remain on foreign targets.....remember that phone-tap program thing during the Clinton admin?  (Echelon, IIRC...)

Echelon never happened.  It would have violated the charters of various agencies to do it, thus it couldn't have happened.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
That's a big no-no, and an egregious violation of many laws...

CIA hasn't had a good track record the last 8 years complying with the law, what with the 1001 leaks of classified data by CIA folk trying to undermine an elected POTUS.

Somehow, I think folk who don't bat an eye at releasing classified data for mere political reasons are going to let law & morality stop them in other spheres.

If there is nothing for the CIA to gain from such interaction, I doubt it will happen, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
I speak from my own experiences.  Every now and again, some alphabet soup agencies with ill-informed employees would call us and asking us if we can assist them with our capabilities.  They got an earful from me.

It was one thing if a BATF crime lab would show us how they do thin-layer chromotography, or the State Department needed some info on a nuclear treaty and potentia ways to circumvent it.

However, we didn't get yearly refresher training explaining the ramifications of the Intelligence Oversight Program for nothing.

The DCI knows EXACTLY what can and cannot be shared with other agencies.  Trust me on that one.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
There is one good thing about this. It fulfills the stereotype that Democrats can't keep the country safe. I just hope that:

1) The Republicans SAY SOMETHING, and
2) We replace this clown before we pay the price for having a Powerpoint manager heading an intelligence agency.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
There is one good thing about this. It fulfills the stereotype that Democrats can't keep the country safe. I just hope that:

1) The Republicans SAY SOMETHING, and
2) We replace this clown before we pay the price for having a Powerpoint manager heading an intelligence agency.

Point 2 is doubtful,

Obama's version of the Hostage Crisis and Desert One will mean a lot more dead American civilians......

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »

Point 2 is doubtful,

Obama's version of the Hostage Crisis and Desert One will mean a lot more dead American civilians......

I am more worried that while he's busy dealing with Workplace Quality Meetings, we might lose a city. :P

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
Well anyway, I just got an email at work indicating one of the first public functions he's going to -- looks like he's delving deep into important intelligence issues already:

--------------------------
Join the Blue Vision Summit March 7-10, 2009

Come to Washington D.C. to help Turn the Tide

Our Ocean Planet is in trouble.  President Obama and the new Congress are inheriting the worst economy of our lifetimes plus two wars and a climate crisis.   They need to be reminded how vital a healthy ocean and coasts are to our economy, security and climate response.   For them to become ocean champions, we need to come together to educate our leaders and each other about the state of our public seas, coasts and watersheds and the human and wildlife communities that depend on them.

The Blue Vision Summit will bring a range of people engaged in ocean conservation and its sustainable use together around three themes:

* To influence President Obama and Congress to take leadership actions on the ocean
    * To Address Climate Change impacts on the Ocean
    * To highlight Solutions to marine threats that are working from the local to the global level

The Summit will include a night with top Ocean Explorers, Two Days of Meetings and discussions, two evening celebrations and a Capitol Hill Day that will provide an opportunity for people to meet with their elected representatives

Join with up to 500 ocean leaders including new NOAA Administrator Dr. Jane Lubchenco (invited, waiting Senate confirmation), White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley (invited, waiting Confirmation), Representative Sam Farr and other members of the House Ocean Caucus, Sylvia Earle, Philippe Cousteau, Leon Panetta, Ralph Nader, Actor Ted Danson (invited), Author Bill Mckibben, California Secretary of Resources Mike Chrisman, Senators Barbara Boxer and Sheldon Whitehouse (invited), Sherman’s Lagoon Cartoonist Jim Toomey, “Arctic Tale,” Director Adam Ravetch, Terry Tamminen, Ocean Rower Roz Savage and many other dedicated ocean defenders from sea to shining sea.

Summit sites include the Carnegie Institution, George Washington University, the new Smithsonian Ocean Hall and Capitol Hill.

Summit Sponsors to date include: Blue Frontier Campaign, Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation, Pew Environment Group, Oceana, Natural Resources Defense Council, The Ocean Conservancy, Clean Ocean Action, The Ocean Foundation and the D.C. Chapter - Surfrider.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2009, 01:35:47 AM »
Yeah, CIA and NSA are restricted in spying on US citizens, as well they should be restricted.  So what is a creative intel squirrel do?  Why he stands up and looks over his cube wall and consults a brit or aussie or kiwi intel squirrel and asks him / her to do a surveillance deed on an American citizen.  Presto chango, law is upheld and the info is gathered.  Great system that Echelon.

Skeptics would say I'm wrong.  I wish I was.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 10:35:48 AM »
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Feinstein thread or here. :)

-------------
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D95HSCU01&show_article=1

Obama apologizes to Feinstein for his CIA surprise     

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday that President-elect Barack Obama apologized to her for not notifying her ahead of time that Leon Panetta was his pick for CIA director.

His name leaked to the press before Obama informed Feinstein, a California Democrat and incoming Senate Intelligence Committee chairman, who will oversee Panetta's nomination hearing.

"I have been contacted by both President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden, and they have explained to me the reasons why they believe Leon Panetta is the best candidate for CIA Director," she said.

Feinstein complained Monday she had not been told about Panetta and expressed doubts he has the necessary experience.

There was no immediate comment from the Obama team, which has made no formal announcement of the CIA pick.

However, Vice President-elect Joe Biden told reporters at the Capitol that the Obama team made a "mistake" in not consulting with top Senate officials before deciding on Panetta.

Panetta is a congressional and White House veteran with a strong administrative background, but no intelligence-gathering experience.

Biden called Panetta a "strong figure" for the CIA who would "take it on a new path."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »
Yep, and she's already saying that "Gee Wally, on second thought Leon would be a great choice."

We're sooooo screwed.....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »

Summit Sponsors to date include: Blue Frontier Campaign, Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation, Pew Environment Group, Oceana, Natural Resources Defense Council, The Ocean Conservancy, Clean Ocean Action, The Ocean Foundation and the D.C. Chapter - Surfrider.

What!?! The National Underwater Marine Agency is not sponsoring the event? They can't hold a serious conference without Dirk Pitt.

Anygunanywhere

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »
Don't most policritters wait until actually taking office before royally screwing up?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
Don't most policritters wait until actually taking office before royally screwing up?

We have some over-achievers this time.

Most wait till taking office before their first scandal too.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought