Author Topic: Is there a Doctor in the house? Statin drug question  (Read 1438 times)

DrAmazon

• friend
Is there a Doctor in the house? Statin drug question
« on: October 29, 2005, 04:18:55 PM »
Hi all.  I'm wondering if there are any MD or DOs in the house who wouldn't mind answering some questions for me about the Statin class of cholesterol lowering drugs.  I've got some concerns about some recent prescription decisions that my Mom's Doc has made in the past few months and would like to know if my concerns are valid enough to merit giving the guy a call.  

Once contact is made, we can have the "conversation" off forum.

Thanx
Experiment with a chemist!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 02:08:08 AM »
Well, I'm no doctor (nor do I play one one TV) but I know I've tried almost every statin out there and none of them agree with me. I wish I had an answer for you. Go to a few health sites and research cholesterol. Some have chat forums on the subject where the patients are more informed than their doctors. Personally I think they (doctors) are pushing the stuff. I get the feeling they get a cut of the action or something. While some tolerate the drugs very well others don't. My experiences were unexplained muscle weakness and pain and a general feeling of lethargy or fatigue. Funny though, as soon as I stopped taking any of the various brands all my ill feelings stopped. Within  a couple of days of starting one particular brand ( I don't recall which) I was suddenly lacking the motivation to keep up my exercise regimen. How can THAT be good? I told the doctor I'd rather live a short life and feel good than live a long one feeling miserable every day. He agrees.

Remember, I'm just talking about ME. Your mother may tolerate the stuff just fine but if she starts to feel the way I just described or any other form of unexplained or drawn out illnesses, suspect the statin as having a role. If you stop the drug and the symptoms diminish almost immediately it probably is the drug causing the problem.

Hope this helps.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 02:33:49 AM »
I took them for 3 weeks but now I refuse to take them at all. My doctor didn't like it at first and we got in a little bit of a tiff about it, but once I was able to get cholesterol down 50 points by watching what I eat and exercising a little bit, she said she'd leave me alone and she has. After reading the side effects and experiencing some of them, I decided I'd rather have a stroke.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 09:16:48 AM »
I tried Lipitor about a year ago. I had high cholesterol, but I'm a vegetarian. Figure that one out. I only eat fish for meat, but I do eat dairy products. My old doctor pushed the drug on me for years; no matter what I tried, the cholesterol level stayed high. I finally agreed, and started taking it.

I began to get the worst muscle and joint aches you could imagine. It even hurt to hang up a coat or open a door! I quit taking it after three weeks, much to my doctor's dismay. She wanted to give me other statins, but I said no. When I asked her how long it would take to feel better, she said she didn't know! It took almost a year for the muscle and joint pain to go away. I gave up worring about my cholesterol levels. If this vegetarian has a heart attack, so be it. Do some research; those cholesterol lowering drugs can have some pretty bad side affects, some of them pretty serious. I read that the pharmacutical companies that make those drugs want to double the amount of people taking those drugs. There is a profit motive there that cannot be ignored. And I'm not sure how good they work; they may have negligible effects on preventing heart attacks and extending your life. Do some research. If you live right, maybe they are not needed.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 12:07:45 PM »
I have been on statins for 10 years now.  My cholesterol level was 330.  Runs in the family.  Tried the diet/exercise deal and it only came down 10 points.  

First used baycol then zocor and am now on 40mg of Lipitor.  The lipitor by far works the best for me.  My level is at 190 now and thats with piggin out at Burger King or Church's chicken.  

As for side effects, nothing with baycol, stomach issues with zocor and no problems with Lipitor.  

Also, isn't statins suppose to lower your chances for such things as alzheimers?  Thought I heard that from somewhere.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »
Lennyjoe, if that was true, you should be able to remember if it was, no?  cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 11:08:10 AM »
LOL

I guess you have a point!

Smoke

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 01:25:57 PM »
Been on Lipitor for 6 years.  No side effects.  Lowers cholesterol 30%
Does no good for HDL.  

Still don't eat like I should, don't exercise as hard as I once did (but heck, I'm gettin' up there, ya know)
I like Lipitor.

Smoke