Author Topic: Venezuela expels Israeli envoy  (Read 2541 times)

Regolith

• friend
Venezuela expels Israeli envoy
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »
Venezuela has ordered the expulsion of the Israeli ambassador to Caracas in protest at Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip.

A number of diplomatic staff have been expelled along with Shlomo Cohen.

President Hugo Chavez has strongly condemned Israel for its actions and called on Israelis to stand up against their government.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7814857.stm (More at the link)

Not surprising.  Pugsly continues his tradition of being an absolute nut-job via idiotic but completely ineffectual publicity stunts. Hopefully with oil revenues down, the people of Venezuela will give him the boot soon.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Venezuela expels Israeli envoy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7814857.stm (More at the link)

Not surprising.  Pugsly continues his tradition of being an absolute nut-job via idiotic but completely ineffectual publicity stunts. Hopefully with oil revenues down, the people of Venezuela will give him the boot soon.

If their economy keeps going the way it is, I would more expect him to accidentally run into a .308 with his head. That happens sometimes.

myrockfight

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
If their economy keeps going the way it is, I would more expect him to accidentally run into a .308 with his head. That happens sometimes.

I was hoping a little more than that, along with a couple of my native friends, that his chest would run into a dull spoon followed shortly thereafter by his heart. However, I can't say that I would have any qualms about a .308 either.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
Woudn't it be more like a .311?  I thought he was licensing/buying a bunch of AK's from Russia. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
Woudn't it be more like a .311?  I thought he was licensing/buying a bunch of AK's from Russia. 

Yes, but those go to HIS people. The older vets who might be disgusted with him might still have their FALs.

I'd not mind seeing the old "right arm of the free world" get one more notable notch in its stock for freedom, if so.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:24:49 AM »
President Hugo Chavez has strongly condemned Israel for its actions and called on Israelis to stand up against their government.

Given Venezuela's economy President Chavez might want to be careful about who he gives ideas to.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:07:51 AM »
Yes, but those go to HIS people. The older vets who might be disgusted with him might still have their FALs.

I'd not mind seeing the old "right arm of the free world" get one more notable notch in its stock for freedom, if so.

Would these older vets be the same ones who ran the notorious narco-state which preceded Chavez?  I imagine they used all their bullets shooting defenseless peasants; they'll have to find a new source of arms to run a new tyrannical latin american military regime.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:30:50 AM »
So nothing actually changed?

And I actually agree with Mr. Chavez - more people standing up against the government is a good thing.

I'm probably going to do so in February.  =D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »
Would these older vets be the same ones who ran the notorious narco-state which preceded Chavez?  I imagine they used all their bullets shooting defenseless peasants; they'll have to find a new source of arms to run a new tyrannical latin american military regime.

Wait a minute. You're now attacking the PEOPLE of Venezuela and supporting Chavez?

Man, you just keep reaching for new lows, don't you.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »
Wait a minute. You're now attacking the PEOPLE of Venezuela and supporting Chavez?

He was neither voicing support for Chavez nor attacking the people of Venezuela. He was only criticizing Venezuelan military veterans and their role in the previous government.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
He was neither voicing support for Chavez nor attacking the people of Venezuela. He was only criticizing Venezuelan military veterans and their role in the previous government.

Considering that Venezuela used then and also currently uses conscription, I think MW has a good point.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ve-venezuela/mil-military
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
Considering that Venezuela used then and also currently uses conscription, I think MW has a good point.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ve-venezuela/mil-military

Here's a little more detail:
Recruitment takes place in public at places were many people gather, such as cinema entrances, schools and market places. Recruitment officers, sometimes dressed as civilians and assisted by the military and police, 'verify the documents' and then arbitrarily force recruits into buses bound for to the barracks. The officers are paid for each young men they recruit. According to Venezuelan COs only lower class recruits get picked as those with economic means are able to buy themselves out.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »

Man, you just keep reaching for new lows, don't you.

Oh yes-it's a new low to point out that Venezuela's military before Chavez was corrupt and murderous.  It was just a paradise before they actually got to elect their leaders!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."