Author Topic: Obama's Newest Promise!  (Read 7004 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Obama's Newest Promise!
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »
... is fiscal responsibility and decreasing the deficit?...

http://townhall.com/news/us/2009/01/07/projected_deficits_put_obama_stimulus_in_new_light

President-elect Barack Obama said Wednesday he'll have to juggle the competing interests of economic stimulus and deficit control, but that restoring general business health must come first.

Obama indeed offered a promise of long-term fiscal discipline at a news conference that he held just a short time after the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office came up with a new _ and unprecedented _ estimate of the deficit expected for the 2009 budget year: roughly $1.19 trillion.

Such a red-ink mark on the federal ledger would dwarf last year's record of $455 billion deficit and represent more than 8 percent of the size of the economy, which is higher than the deficits of the 1980s.

Obama said that concerns about rising deficits prompted him to turn down advice from some economists who called for spending $1 trillion or more to jump-start the economy. Obama's proposal is expected to cost nearly $800 billion over two years.

"We have an economic situation that is dire, and we're going to have to jump start this economy with my economic recovery plan, creating 3 million jobs," he said. "That's going to cost some money. And in the short term, we will actually see, potentially, additions to the deficit."

He also said that by February he expects to have a plan on how to deal with big ticket spending such as Social Security and Medicare, waste in government and other factors, as well as some "specific outlines" on how to control the deficit.

"We're going to be inheriting a $1 trillion-plus deficit. And if we do nothing, then we will continue to see red ink as far as the eye can see," Obama said after introducing Nancy Killefer as his chief performance officer, a White House official who will work with federal agencies to set performance standards and hold agency managers accountable for progress.

But at Obama's transition office and in Congress, the urgent focus continued to be the economic stimulus.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pressed top congressional Democrats on Wednesday to pass a recovery bill by mid-February, and offered her own reassurance that the legislation would be fiscally responsible.

"Many will focus on the cost of it," Pelosi told the House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee. "While we are not discussing small sums, the bill is fiscally responsible because it will provide a fiscal dividend by returning 40 percent of the cost to the Treasury _ at least that much in increased revenue."

Noting that the stimulus proposal will include spending on roads and bridges, clean energy technologies, expanded Internet access, and modernizing schools, Pelosi declared: "This is not your grandfather's public works bill."

The congressional panel heard from a handful of economists, including former Labor Secretary Robert Reich, Harvard's Martin Feldstein and Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com and a former informal adviser to Republican presidential candidate John McCain. They all endorsed the need for a big, short-term spending package to jolt the economy out of its downward spiral.

Acknowledging the risk of deficits, however, Feldstein noted: "There should be an exit strategy. The spending should not create a political dynamic that makes it hard to stop."

Pelosi's call for passage by mid-February represents a slight adjustment in the Democrats' anticipated schedule for the legislation. Just on Monday, Obama had said he hoped for passage at the end of January or the first week in February.

Budget-conscious lawmakers have been pressing Obama to embrace deficit-reduction goals, even before the budget office's grim assessment Wednesday.

"Part of the discussion that needs to happen right now is not what we do just right now, but what we look to in the future _ about how we get back to a balanced budget and then start to deal with this horrible, horrible national debt that we have," said Rep. Dennis Moore of Kansas, a member of the congressional Blue Dogs, a coalition of conservative and moderate Democrats.

With Democrats in control of both chambers in Congress, Obama's reassurances to budget hawks from both parties already appear to be making a stimulus package more palatable. Republican leaders sounded a cautionary note, however.

"We cannot borrow and spend our way back to prosperity when were already running an annual deficit of more than one trillion dollars," House Republican leader John Boehner of Ohio said in a statement. "I was pleased to hear the President-elect say yesterday that we need to stop just talking about our national debt and actively confront it."

Obama has not detailed solutions for vexing problems such as growing demands on Social Security and Medicare. His prescriptions to make government accountable could easily run aground, much like those of predecessors who vowed to tackle government waste, fraud and abuse.

But lawmakers are not short on ideas. Conrad and the Budget Committee's top Republican, New Hampshire Sen. Judd Gregg, have proposed a bipartisan fiscal task force of lawmakers and administration officials that would create a plan to reduce budget deficits and lower the national debt.

Blue Dog Democrats would like to see legislation that would force Congress to pay for spending proposals with equal spending cuts or with new revenue. House Democrats this week plan to consider legislation that would require all federal agencies to undergo new audits and would call for congressional hearings when agency inspectors general find evidence of waste or fraud.

Well it looks like someone learned a lesson from the failures of the Republicans over the past 8 years.

Unfortunately, none of the Republicans seem to get it.

Now, HERE'S a question: how will he keep his promises of "free stuff" and decrease deficits?

I do notice he says: "Well, I plan on having decreases in deficits, just not anytime soon"

So, this may be another example of liberal rhetoric without any real intentions of following through.

If the democrats become the party of fiscal responsibility, I will be absolutely amazed.

My bet, however, is that next year we will get "We hoped to decrease spending, but gosh, the economy still stinks"

(Which will happen because of all the government programs this year that will CONTINUE to depress the economy).

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Obama's Newest Promise!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »
There's plenty of garbage in the budget, I'm sure it can be done, but I'm also sure it'll piss off some people.

Cut some of the new programs you want, cut a bunch of the male bovine excrement in the current budget...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »
There's plenty of garbage in the budget, I'm sure it can be done, but I'm also sure it'll piss off some people.

Cut some of the new programs you want, cut a bunch of the male bovine excrement in the current budget...

I have no doubt it can be done, but the problem you have already noted:

but I'm also sure it'll piss off some people.

Thus, it won't happen, because SOMEONE will lose their pet project, who will then sabotage someones elses...

Washington has become too much "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" and not enough "Dog eat dog"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:04:07 PM »
Silly conservatives/libertarians....cutting programs is not how you reduce deficits.  Raising taxes is how you reduce deficits.

Also, since ChosenHopeAnnoitedChange has said it, it has now happened.  He doesn't have to actually DO it, as he merely has to say it to make it so.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »
ChosenHopeAnnoitedChange

Sidebar:  do nicknames like this violate the ban on such wonderful and memorable nicknames like Juan McStain, Hitlery, Jorge Shrub, Ted "Swimmer" Kennedrunk and the like?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »
I don't think ChosenHopeAnnointedChange violates the rules, but let's ask the head honcho.

Hey, Mike! Is it okay to call Obama ChosenHopeAnnointedChange, or should we just stick to President Scumbag?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
Just call him President Elect Obama.

After January 20, just call him President Obama.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:10 AM »
That makes my stomach hurt.  I think I will call him Mr. Obama.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »
That makes my stomach hurt.  I think I will call him Mr. Obama.

So basically you are going to be like the left-wing moon-bats that wouldn't acknowledge George W Bush as President Bush even though he was elected and sworn into office?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
dissent...patriotism...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »
So basically you are going to be like the left-wing moon-bats that wouldn't acknowledge George W Bush as President Bush even though he was elected and sworn into office?

I never said anything about left-wingers not respecting Bush. I respected their right to not respect him.

I reserve the right to not respect Obama.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
To quote Richard Winters in the series Band of Brothers...

"Captain Sobel, you salute the rank, you don't salute the man."

No matter what your personal feelings are, the rank of the office goes with the man's name -- in this case, President Obama.

Everyone keep that in mind, please.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:08:23 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »
I never said anything about left-wingers not respecting Bush. I respected their right to not respect him.

I reserve the right to not respect Obama.

I didn't direct that to you. Plus since your not a citizen of the US I could give a flying flippy fart what you think of our President Elect.

Plus what Mike said.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »
And yes, Charby is correct, and I was wrong...

Currently it is President Elect Obama.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »
To quote Richard Winters in the series Band of Brothers...

"Captain Sobel, you salute the rank, you don't salute the man."

No matter what your personal feelings are, the rank of the office goes with the man's name -- in this case, President Obama.

Everyone keep that in mind, please.

That's definitely true - this forum has certain rules and we must all abide by them - they preserve the civility we have here. Some of the members here had voted for Obama and I would not wish to offend them by expressing my opinion of the man too harshly. It is okay to call Obama names over a beer, or curse at the TV in the privacy of your own home.

This, however, is not Sparta.

This is APS and we have standards here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:09:04 PM by Mike Irwin »

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »

This, however, is not Sparta.

So...does this mean we can't wear togas while posting?... 
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »
So...does this mean we can't wear togas while posting?... 

Even if this were Sparta, we couldn't wear togas - they were Roman clothing, not Greek.

What you're looking for is a chiton.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »
I'll just call him Obama, thank you, as this is just an internet forum.  Though, for some reason, I prefer to pronounce it all flat and midwesterney. 

You really think that's why they call him Mr?  They never used that form of address for other presidents? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
You really think that's why they call him Mr?  They never used that form of address for other presidents? 

huh?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »
So, am I in violation if I won't capitalize name of things I don't respect.  Like satan, obama, democrats, etc. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 07:59:38 PM »
As a retired military man I can understand respecting the rank or position. 

On that note, I'll refer to President Elect Obama as BO. 

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:16 AM »
Redacted.

If that's the very BEST you can do, digital, don't try.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:22:42 AM by Mike Irwin »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »
Referring to President Elect Obama as Obama is fine, no different that saying Reagan or Nixon instead of President Reagan or President Nixon. Pretty much calling President Elect Obama anything else would like the folks who called President Bush "Shrub" or President Reagan "Bonzo". Lot of is shows immaturity and lack of intelligence. Just think how idiotic moon-bats sound when they drivel on and on about "Shrub" and his failed policies and how life sucks because its "Shrubs" fault.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:43:57 AM by Charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I think I shall refer to him as Mr. Obama until the 20th and President Obama thereafter.

When I had completed my Ph.D., there was not a month between my dissertation defense and my getting my diploma that I was "Dr.-nextmonth Smythe".

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »
Referring to President Elect Obama as Obama is fine, no different that saying Reagan or Nixon instead of President Reagan or President Nixon. Pretty much calling President Elect Obama anything else would like the folks who called President Bush "Shrub" or President Reagan "Bonzo". Lot of is shows immaturity and lack of intelligence. Just think how idiotic moon-bats sound when they drivel on and on about "Shrub" and his failed policies and how life sucks because its "Shrubs" fault.

It depends on the context, and on what name you're using.  On this forum, we've been calling him, "the One," or "the Messiah," or some-such.  That's not usually childish or stupid, that's a humorous comment about his supporters.  Or at least about some of them.  But I wouldn't call him that in a lot of other places; it would be counter-productive. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife