Author Topic: "Delay the analog to digital transition"...Yeah, that's what I expected.  (Read 14910 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
if people were to look outside and talk to there neighbors once in a while they might get better first hand info

On the other hand, a lot of rumors go around that way.  There is some slight validity to what you say, but I know from years of experience that lazy people like me will keep being lazy, regardless.

I have been without television much of my life, and currently, my TV set has no outside feed.  Just DVD and VCR hooked up.  Much of my childhood was spent with no TV set at all, and kids would always ask (in the most stunned amazement) "What do you DO?"   :laugh:  It always amused me that they apparently could think of nothing that did not involve some sort of video entertainment.  You remind me of that right now.  You talk as if TV is the only entertainment out there, although I'm sure you know better than that.  With DVD, video games, and internet, there are plenty of other electronic entertainments in which to lose oneself.  DVDs may end, but there are always more.  Or you can go back, and watch your favorite scenes.  Or watch it with commentary.  Or watch it in Spanish, with French sub-titles, or watch the "Making of..."  I know, because I am stupid enough to do all of those things.  It's why I don't have TV; I don't need the extra distraction. 

Between work, housekeeping chores, watching DVDs, internet, going out to eat, and doing stuff at church and what-not, I usually manage to keep from sitting down to read very much.  And I don't even have kids!  Imagine how much more time and energy they would take away from my desire to read the paper.  If I didn't happen to hang out here, and listen to talk radio a lot, I wouldn't get any news at all. 

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure that if a bunch of Americans lost their TV for a few weeks/months, nothing much would change. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:55:18 AM by Mr. Tactical pants »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Or watch it in Spanish, with French sub-titles,

Heck, if the movie's bad enough, I switch to that during the first viewing.

It helps a lot if, like me, you understand very little Spanish and almost no French.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I tried that like once or twice, and it lost its novelty.  My wife still likes to do that for some reason, though. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
Heck, if the movie's bad enough, I switch to that during the first viewing.

It helps a lot if, like me, you understand very little Spanish and almost no French.

I've found it amusing that if a Mexican place has a Telemundo soap opera on in the background, you don't need to know Spanish to know what's going on. "Okay, she's cheating on him, and he's angry, and that was his friend, and now that one is blackmailing them..." And everyone cries all the time!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
...Or watch it in Spanish, with French sub-titles...

Thermian with English sub-titles, please.

Between work, housekeeping chores, watching DVDs, internet, going out to eat, and doing stuff at church and what-not, I usually manage to keep from sitting down to read very much.  And I don't even have kids!  Imagine how much more time and energy they would take away from my desire to read the paper.

Can I hear an "Amen?!" brothers & sisters?

I have subscribed to National Review (www.nationalreview.com) for over 15 years.  I used to subscribe to other mags, but they all have fallen by the wayside.  Nowadays, with kids, I still subscribe, but more as a way to support the mag than to read it, as I rarely have time for it. 

Daily newspaper?  Yeah, right.

After we saw the effects of TV on the kids, even just DVDs, we moved it to the garage, where it gathers dust.  And guess what?  I don't miss it, as I have so many other irons in the fire as well as the 'net.  If my wife & I want to watch a movie or DVD, we watch it on a laptop.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Dems want $650 million more for DTV transition
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »
Of course! Because just a few of the masses can't get their flickering opiate, SPEND MORE MONEY!!!!!!!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats in the House of Representatives proposed $650 million to continue the coupon program for the transition to digital television, according to a summary of the economic stimulus legislation released by Democrats on the House Appropriations Committee on Thursday.

Congress mandated the February 17 switch to digital television, which will affect some 20 million consumers who do not already use the technology. Owners of older television sets receiving over-the-air signals must buy converter boxes, replace their TVs with digital models, or subscribe to satellite or digital cable service.

But the government has said it had run out of $40 discount coupons for consumers to help pay for converter boxes needed to keep their sets from going blank, leading to calls for delaying the analog switch-off and for more money in the economic stimulus package for the program.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE50E5DJ20090115

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
The Senate took the first step today.  The House could follow as early as Tuesday.
Four bloody months.  It's not like there has not been enough time for people to prepare.  Idjits...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/26/senate-unanimously-votes-push-digital-tv-transition/

AP
Monday, January 26, 2009

Senate Unanimously Votes to Push Back Digital TV Transition
The Senate voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12.

WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Monday voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12 -- setting the stage for Congress to pass the proposal as early as Tuesday.

Monday's Senate vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover.

The Nielsen Co. estimates that more than 6.5 million U.S. households that rely on analog television sets to pick up over-the-air broadcast signals could see their TV sets go dark next month if the transition is not postponed.

"Delaying the upcoming DTV switch is the right thing to do," said Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., author of the bill to push back the deadline. "I firmly believe that our nation is not yet ready to make this transition at this time."

The issue now goes to the House, where Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., has vowed to work with House leaders to bring Rockefeller's bill up for a floor vote on Tuesday.

President Barack Obama earlier this month called for the transition date to be postponed after the Commerce Department hit a $1.34 billion funding limit for government coupons that consumers may use to help pay for digital TV converter boxes. The boxes, which generally cost between $40 and $80 each and can be purchased without a coupon, translate digital signals back into analog ones for older TVs.

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the arm of the Commerce Department administering the program, is now sending out new coupons only as older, unredeemed ones expire and free up more money. The NTIA had nearly 2.6 million coupon requests on a waiting list as of last Wednesday.

Jonathan Collegio, vice president for the digital television transition for the National Association of Broadcasters, argues that the Nielsen numbers may overstate the number of viewers who are not ready for the digital transition. He noted that the numbers exclude consumers who have already purchased a converter box but not yet installed it, as well as those who have requested coupons but not yet received them.

What's more, consumers who subscribe to cable or satellite TV service or who own a TV with a digital tuner will not lose reception.

Still Gene Kimmelman, vice president for federal policy at Consumers Union, argues that millions of Americans -- particularly low-income and elderly viewers -- will pay the price because "the government has failed to deliver the converter boxes these people deserve just to keep watching free, over-the-air broadcast signals."

In 2005, Congress required broadcasters to switch from analog to digital signals, which are more efficient, to free up valuable chunks of wireless spectrum to be used for commercial wireless services and interoperable emergency-response networks.

Republicans in both the House and Senate have raised concerns that a delay would confuse consumers, burden wireless companies and public safety agencies waiting for the airwaves that will be vacated and create added costs for television stations that would have to continue broadcasting both analog and digital signals.

Paula Kerger, president and CEO of the Public Broadcasting Service, estimates that delaying the digital TV transition to June 12 would cost public broadcasters $22 million.

But Rockefeller managed to ease some of these concerns by allowing broadcast stations to make the switch from analog to digital signals sooner than the June deadline if they choose and by permitting public safety agencies to take over vacant spectrum that has been promised to them as soon as it becomes available.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zahc

• friend
I don't understand how they can get away with this. Haven't they already sold the bandwidth to providers? What about the millions upon millions of dollars of the broadcasting industry, which was most likely making some pretty serious plans for the switchover?

In any private sector, this would be an antitrust lawyer's dream. Once again, government doing things that would get ordinary people locked in jail.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
The Democrats stand in the way of real change yet again.

Manedwolf

• friend
Some station owners already figured their budgets to subtract the cost of the high-powered analog transmitters. Bet they're pleased.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Well, now there's lots of logistical complaint coming in about PBS and other more lefty concerns within the industry too, and lots of municipal pushback because they've already budgeted money for the spectrum for LEO/EMS radio systems.

It might go ahead as planned now.

However, I don't find the timetable of a summer transition completely unapealling either.

I had some thought of organizing a bunch of fellow technorati into a nighttime torch-lit Shadenfreude march the night of the transition, we'd peep in windows looking for befuddled dullards, the ignorant, luddites, and the elderly, hopelessly trying to adjust their now dead analog televisions.

Then we'd yell chants to taunt them, "Hey Aunt Bea, where's your TV? ha ha ha!" etc. and throw rotten vegetables at them if they dared come outside etc.

Just too cold in Feburary for that kind of fun, IMO.
I promise not to duck.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Some station owners already figured their budgets to subtract the cost of the high-powered analog transmitters. Bet they're pleased.

There's nothing in the rules preventing them from switching anyways.  Channel 10 in my area changed over a week ago.  Much better picture now.

crt360

• friend
It looks like the House voted down the delay.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Pfft, all the stations have made the switch anyway.  Most around here stopped servicing their analog transmitters after the first of the year.  If they still work, great.  If not, call the scrap guy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB