Author Topic: Air Purifiers  (Read 3079 times)

Ktulu

• http://www.michiganshooter.com
Air Purifiers
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:28:09 AM »
So who knows anything about air purifiers. I've seen the Oreck and Sharper Image infomercials and I'm skeptical. Which ones work and which ones don't?
Jeff

MichiganShooter.cOm

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

Greg L

Air Purifiers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 04:55:00 AM »
We're in the market for at least 3-4 ourselves (one for each floor & one for the garage).  With a gravel driveway & 4 dogs bringing in dirt, this place is incredibly dusty.  I'm looking for something good with filters that can just be banged on the side of the garbage can (or rinsed off) to be cleaned rather than constantly having to buy replacements.  I don't mind spending the money if it actually works & is easy to service but I don't want to spend a bunch on something that won't get used.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Unisaw

• friend
Air Purifiers
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 05:34:31 AM »
I have three of the Honeywell HEPA filters.  The HEPA filters are expensive to replace but you don't have to do it very often.  The charcoal pre-filters are not very expensive but need to be replaced every few months.  I use one near my reloading area to capture the dust from the media in my vibratory cleaner.  These filters do work but some people never get used to the "white" noise, including SWMBO.  I'm also skeptical of any filter that doesn't have a fan motor.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
Air Purifiers
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 07:51:32 AM »
I second the Honeywell HEPA filter.  I have heard those Oreck things produce ozone which can irritate asthma, but I haven't really researched since I'm happy with what I have.

One drawback....big and ugly.

crt360

• friend
Air Purifiers
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:02:13 AM »
I have two of the Honeywells and agree with Unisaw and duck hunt.  They aren't real stylish, they take up some floor space, and they make a little fan noise, but they do work.
For entertainment purposes only.

pbhome71

Air Purifiers
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 02:29:04 PM »
I have one of the Honeywell HEPA.  It is loud, so we don't use it much.  I'm wondering how much electricity it uses.

My wife bought one of the Sharper image one a couple of month ago - due to our friend's recommendation.  It is much quieter, but the Ozone smell kind of bother me.  It seems to be working, since the amount of dust on my desk is less than before.   When you turn it on, you can feel air moving from the front of the purifier.  I'm not sure how they do it.

I also see some of the knock-off brand, but have not use it.

...has left the building.

Air Purifiers
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 02:53:57 PM »
I have the Sharper Image one that was given to me as a gift. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It definitely does a great job of keeping the room dust free. I know it doesn't collect allergens but that isn't why we wanted it.