Author Topic: Do you have a battery powered radio?  (Read 8619 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Do you have a battery powered radio?
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »
I was sitting in the reading room, and realized I had neglected y'all a bit with a somewhat valuable lesson that I had learned.

Do y'all have a battery powered radio?

Most, I assume, will say that they do not.

In this age of electronic crapola, most of us (again, I am assuming this), don't have an actual AM/FM radio.  Ipod?  Sure.  MP3?  Sure.  Radio?  Nope.

We lost power for five days, and it was an important source of information.  It was also soothing...

---------------------

It was summertime about five years ago.  Jen and I were looking for something to do, so we hopped in the car and drove up 89 to the VT/NH border to see what was there.  We found an LL Bean store.  I had to go in.  They had a little windup radio with a cheezy light, AM/FM radio and the weatherband.  This was back when I had extra money, so I just HAD to have one.  You know, just in case.  Jen rolled her eyes and went along with my paranoia...I brought it home, stuck four batteries in the case (NOT in the radio, lest they bleed and fry the radio) and stuck it on the kitchen counter in the corner.  Where it sat. 

And sat.

And sat.

Last fall I setup my man cave, and migrated it down there.

Where it sat.

------------------------------
Well, a couple of weeks back we had that ice storm.  You need to remember that Jen had TWO radial rears replaced Wednesday in Boston, and we got home around 10:30 at night.  The surgery was scheduled for 2 1/2 to three hours, and it took over four.  She has another screw in her arm, and they had to remove and reroute her bicep.  I was up at 4:00AM the next morning (Thursday) to drive to Manchester to the only 24hour pharmacy in the area.

That night, we went to bed at 10, and I was woken up at 12:30AM to no power.  Woken up?  No, actually I was suffocated at 12:30.  I have sleep apnea.  When the power goes, so does your air.  NOT a happy feeling, trust me.

We knew were were getting a storm, but in all of the prep with Jen, we never really paid attention to what we were getting.

We tossed and turned until 4AM Friday morning, then got up.  No heat.  NO FREAKING COFFEE EITHER.  Oh wait.  I have that camping coffee thing.

Phew.  Coffee.

So, how bad is it? 

No idea.

How long are we projected to be out?

No idea.

Jen, you have to understand, NEEDS background noise.  The TV is ALWAYS on when she is home.  She is not watching it, but needs the noise.

The silence was bothering her.  Her shoulder was bothering her.  The cold was bothering her.

Then, I remembered the radio.

I laughed, retreived it, put the batteries in, and had news, but more importantly, had a voice from the outside.

It was soothing to her.  It gave us the info we needed as far as severity and current situation.  It took her mind off of her shoulder.

Ah, yes, my paranoia paid off.....and she even admitted it!!!

-------------------------------------------

A couple of side notes:
1.  I normally know EXACTLY where my flashlights are.  My Daughter had "stolen" them all when we made a fort the weekend prior.  I was completely lost in the dark.  Stupid move on my part.  Remember where at least one light is.

2.  The radio that I bought is:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=55377&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

I dont work for LL Bean, nor am I affiliated with them.  It was a good product, and earned it's keep that morning.

One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Do you have a battery powered radio?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
Two of them, handcrank emergency with weather bands, weather/alert tone, light and cellphone chargers with many different connectors. Can sit and crank it to charge your cellphone.

Also, every closet has one of the stubby Dorcy waterproof LED lights that will run 200 hours, hanging on a 3M hook on the inside of the door's frame, out of sight.  There are also a lot of white snaplights.

I grew up in Florida. Power failures happened quite a lot. :)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »
As a matter of fact, yes.

The radio/shaving mirror I have in the shower.

I also have a small travel alarm clock/radio that, surprisingly, has fantastic reception.

I also have a couple of boomboxes that take batteries, but I doubt that I have batteries.

And, I always have the radio in the car.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
I'm going to have to choose a battery-powered digital TV soon, too.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »
Several radios (AM, FM, Amateur) and multiple means to power them (AC, battery, solar).

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 02:07:59 PM »
Yes.  Plus a carton of candles and a brick of matches.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »
Several.

Want one?  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »
Cabela's sells the same unit if you're not a Beaniac. I'm going to get one for the same "Oh ****" security.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »
Strangely enough, my father always gets me stuff like this for Christmas.  This year he got me a hand crank radio, with a lot of other features (motion detector with high pitched, loud alarm, flashlight, other stuff).  The strange part is that I don't think he has such tools.  Of course he knows that I appreciate that stuff.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »
I have a Eton crank radio my wife got me a few years ago.

http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=6138

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
My company gave all the employees in our area at least a weather radio with hand crank.  I didn't think much of it and didn't use it during the last hurricane, but several people I work with said they did.  My boss said the hand crank kept his 4 kids busy taking turns cranking the handle and charging the radio.  The light on it was handy also.

I listen to AM radio a lot so I have at least 3 radios that take batteries plus one walkman style radio.  Only one of the table top versions actually has batteries though. 

Due to hurricane season every year, I try to keep some of AA, AAA, C, and D batteries on hand. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:58:58 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
I have one that I keep in my reloading area. I use ac with it but have lots of AA and D batteries in the same room. Small flashlights hang from each doorknob in the apartment. If power goes out a light is near to hand.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »
Yep, got a few.  One hand crank radio along with a battery operated one in our camping box and another in the house next to the flashlights and spare batteries. 

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »
Two of them, handcrank emergency with weather bands, weather/alert tone, light and cellphone chargers with many different connectors. Can sit and crank it to charge your cellphone.
Sounds interesting.  Any info you could share on make/model?
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Any info you could share on make/model?

Eton...the ones other people have mentioned here. You can find them for sale at Cabelas, Target, Bean, all sorts of places.

The thing is, I wish someone would make a pull-cord flywheel charger instead. That's much more efficient than a crank.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »
Here is my emergency radio that also is small enough to bring backpacking. It sounds like I have the same one Manedwolf has.

The nice thing for emergencies and backpacking is that it has all the weather channels.

http://www.rei.com/product/777507

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
I don't have a battery powered radio.

I have two generators, a couple of marine batteries, a couple of inverters, and plenty of gas in the four cars in the driveway.

And extension cords. Don't forget extension cords.

Blog under construction

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:41 AM »
I don't have a battery powered radio.

I have two generators, a couple of marine batteries, a couple of inverters, and plenty of gas in the four cars in the driveway.

And extension cords. Don't forget extension cords.

But do you have a human treadmill powered generator?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 01:38:13 AM »
The electronics In my Oh S#!t backpack include a Midland CB/weather radio, a small Panasonic AM/FM, a pair of Motorola FRS/GRMS radios, my Lowrance GPS, and a couple of mini Maglights. All of which run on AA batteries that get restocked annually after hunting season.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cslinger

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »
Actually, yes I do.  Two actually.  :D

That and at last count I have enough flashlights and batteries to provide 10 hours of light daily for the better part of a year.  Then I move to the oil lamps.  :D

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 05:48:38 PM »
I've got a crystal radio, does that count. 

Although I do like that Eton thing from REI.... espcially the kid powered crank and the ability to pick up the NWS stations. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 06:19:22 PM »
One can always build themselves a Foxhole radio:

http://dimme.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/wp_foxholeradio.pdf
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
I've got one of those crank powered radios that NPR gave me after funding them.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
I've got a few.  My favorite is an older Sony ICF-2003 that I listen to almost every day.
For entertainment purposes only.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
Yep...AM/FM weather radio with battery and/or crank.  Also have a few L.E.D. crank lanterns, that I got at Kohls of all places. They work pretty well though.