Author Topic: Czech Sculpture No Laughing Matter in Brussels  (Read 2013 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Czech Sculpture No Laughing Matter in Brussels
« on: January 15, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
This is a scream.

I love it when folks poke fun at pompous functionaries.

Do check out the photo gallery at the link.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,601209,00.html

Czech Sculpture No Laughing Matter in Brussels

A new sculpture in Brussels, commissioned by the Czech Republic in honor of its stint as holder of the European Union presidency, has rankled some EU members. The artwork depicts countries using stereotypes, not all of them terribly flattering.

It's no secret that the Czech Republic is one of the more euro-skeptic members of the European Union. The country's president, Vaclav Klaus -- who, as it happens, is the current holder of the EU's rotating presidency -- called in 2005 for the bloc to be "scrapped" and was a vocal opponent of the Lisbon Treaty, which was rejected by Irish voters in 2008 before the Czech Republic had a chance could torpedo it.

Still, a new art project commissioned by Prague in honor of its six-month stint at the head of the 27-member bloc has caused the Czechs to blush with embarrassment. Called "Entropa," the piece is a €373,000 over-sized mosaic map of Europe that relies on stereotypes to depict each country. And a number of countries are furious about it.

"It is preposterous, a disgrace," Betina Joteva, press officer for Bulgaria's permanent representation in Brussels told the euobserver Web site. "It is a humiliation for the Bulgarian nation and an offence to national dignity."

Joteva has, perhaps, reason to be upset. Her country is depicted in the eight-ton sculpture as a Turkish toilet. Many speculated that the reference might be to the centuries Bulgaria spent under Turkish rule.

But in a conversation with SPIEGEL ONLINE, the artist responsible for the sculpture, David Cerny, said it was intended to point to one of the things that is most obviously different for people who travel to Bulgaria. "No other country in Europe has those kinds of toilets," he said, before adding that he had officially apologized to Bulgaria for offending them.

Bulgaria's depiction, though, wasn't the only part of the sculpture that created controversy. Germany is shown as being criss-crossed by autobahns -- and some thought they recognized a slightly deformed swastika in the resulting design.

Cerny was categorical in his denial. "It has nothing to do with the swastika," he said. It is about highways and Germany's obsession with cars. Nothing else." Cerny said that the autobahn belts on the sculpture will move once turned on, meaning that the pieces had to be straight, thus leading to the misunderstanding.

Still, other depictions make it clear that flattery was not one of Cerny's goals. Romania is shown as a Dracula theme park; Spain is merely a slab of concrete, in reference to its recently burst real-estate bubble; Holland is shown as being flooded over with only a few minarets poking out above the waves; Luxembourg is a gold nugget with a huge "For Sale" sign sticking out of it; and France is covered with a large sign reading "strike," an allusion to that country's frequent labor battles.

The Czech government commissioned the work in the belief that it would be completed by artists from the 27 EU member-states. That, at least, is what Czech artist David Cerny promised in his project application. Instead, Cerny made up the names of the European artists supposedly participating in the project and put it together with a couple of friends.

"We were hoping that it wouldn't be taken with the kind of seriousness that it has been and that it would be fun," Cerny said. "It wasn't about insulting anyone. I am shocked that certain states don't have a sense of humor."

The piece was unveiled on Tuesday after having been carted to Brussels in three trailer trucks. But it is unclear how much longer it will remain on display. Bulgaria has demanded that it be removed from the sculpture and Czech Republic Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondra said his government would be deciding on Thursday how to proceed. "The full responsibility for violating this assignment … lies with David Cerny," he said.

Not all countries are angered by the piece. Sweden is depicted by an IKEA cardboard box and Belgium is a box of chocolates, both references to popular exports from those countries.

Responses from Great Britain, Cerny reports, have likewise been quite positive. The historically euro-skeptic country was left off the sculpture altogether.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Czech Sculpture No Laughing Matter in Brussels
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:15:49 PM »
Heh, I think they're pretty good.  Of course, I like caricatures.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 03:16:48 PM »
you know sometimes the truth hurts...

I think the artist did a pretty good job of depicting how these countries are precieved by outsiders.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
dang that looks like a fark contest winnar
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »
Somone actually PAID €373,000 - that's pushing a half-million US - for this conglomeration of junk?

Idiots.

Absolute, blooming, idiots.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »
Funny :D

Someone should do one for the 50 States  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »
Funny :D

Someone should do one for the 50 States  :laugh:

If I could get 500K for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »
If I could get 500K for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'll do Iowa, lets see, hmm an ear of corn and a pig.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:51:15 PM »
Luxembourg is a gold nugget with a huge "For Sale" sign sticking out of it
:laugh:

What's with all the objections to this piece by the Euro-folk? Don't they know art is supposed to be edgy?  =D

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:57:20 PM »
This reminds me of the "Canada: America's Hat" t-shirts...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »
I'd show my Michigan as a mitten shaped burned out lightbulb.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
i fixed the one for France:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... gotta love the Czechs for sticking their tongue out at the rest of Europe.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.