Author Topic: Frost/Nixon...  (Read 2214 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Frost/Nixon...
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
anyone read this yet? I ust finished it. Fascinating. The mention of Atlas in 52 years rings a bell becasue if you read his take on Vietnam and how the end all went down (which he describes in 1978) reads an awful lot like what's happened recently with Iraq and the past election. Deja Vu baby...  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Frost/Nixon...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
I'd call it the biggest self fulfilling prophesy to day.

The Media has hammered Iraq = QUAGMIRE! VIETNAM! DEFEAT! for the past 6 years. 

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like "The lie repeated often enough becomes fact"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like "The lie repeated often enough becomes fact"
I think one of Hitler's cronies, or possibly Hitler himself said something along those lines.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »

And yet, the media wasn't able secure defeat for us in Iraq.  It wasn't for lack of trying, though.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
A couple days ago, there was a (upi?) story.  The word quagmire popped up again.  The media has now turned it's eyes on A'stan.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »
They're also starting to turn on their darling Obama too.  :rolleyes:

I strongly suggest you all get the book and read it, don't wait to see the movie. All else aside, Nixon was a master of world politics, very insightful read.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
I think one of Hitler's cronies, or possibly Hitler himself said something along those lines.
Goebbels.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
Goebbels.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

I thank ya.  Can't figure why I forgot, Goebbels was a master of such stuff.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »
Goebbels.

This is PRECISELY what the government is doing: Sheilding people "from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie" that government is the solution and not the problem.

The question is, how long can this be maintained?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
A few days ago WTOP had some national correspondent on who said "and we're losing two overseas wars..." or something very similar.  :rolleyes:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
A few days ago WTOP had some national correspondent on who said "and we're losing two overseas wars..." or something very similar.  :rolleyes:

WTOP?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 10:13:25 PM »
Yes. It's the local all news radio station. It's actually VERY good.

I know several of their reporters.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.