Author Topic: Obama's National Day of Sevice  (Read 7853 times)

doczinn

• friend
Obama's National Day of Sevice
« on: January 17, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
Surprised no-one beat me to it. Check this one out:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g1nWr2gQuI1zQvW6fDS-IhpQhiCgD95N5KIO0

Obama urges service around inauguration

3 days ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Barack Obama said Wednesday that he wants his inauguration to be about more than him; it should be about getting all Americans involved in community service.

Obama, in a four-minute speech posted on the Internet, urged his supporters to volunteer for projects scheduled around his Jan. 20 ceremony. Obama, Vice President-elect Joe Biden and their families plan to participate in service projects in the Washington area Jan. 19.

"I am asking you to join us in that same spirit of service to others — no matter where you live," he said.

The president-elect also said that if everyone rolled up their sleeves, the country could improve: "At this defining moment in our history, it serves as our opportunity to come together in common purpose, united in our resolve to renew the promise of this nation and meet the challenges of our time."

An e-mail announcing the video message included a request for donations. Obama raised a record-shattering $745 million for his presidential bid, relying in part on his massive e-mail list. Obama has already raised $35 million for next week's inaugural events.

Obama's aides have posted thousands of volunteer opportunities on a Web site, USAService.org. Last week, Obama supporter and former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell urged Americans to visit the site to find projects near them.

Obama made a similar appeal Wednesday, just days before his inauguration events are scheduled to begin.

"Because I'm not just asking you to take part in one day of service. I am asking you to make a lasting commitment to make better the lives of your fellow Americans — a commitment that must endure beyond one day, or even one presidency," Obama said.

Obama also announced that supporters can sign up to receive text messages about volunteer opportunities, traffic problems and event schedules. Organizers expect millions to visit Washington.

"Unprecedented numbers of Americans are planning to join us in Washington," Obama said. "That will mean long lines, a tough time getting around, and most of all, a lot of walking on what could be a very cold winter day."

He urged voters to send a text message with the word "open" to 56333 to receive quick updates about logistics in Washington during his events.

The U.S. Secret Service plans to close down more than 3 square miles of downtown on Inauguration Day. All bridges crossing the Potomac River into Washington also will be closed to personal vehicles. Some officials estimate that as many as 4 million people could visit Washington for the events.

At least this time it's voluntary. Me, I'll be working.

D. R. ZINN

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Obama's National Day of Sevice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »
Screw you, Obama...

I don't work unless I get paid...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
Regardless of the temperature and weather, I'm going shooting on Tuesday.  Does that count as service?  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
...it should be about getting all Americans involved in community service...

Been there, done that.  Seven years serving on the board of my HOA, helping to run our little community, making sure the grass gets cut, the budget stays balanced & the reserve fund grows, the snow shoveled from the walks, the buildings painted, the property remains visually pleasing and attractive to new buys, and that the HOA otherwise leaves the members the heck alone.  For my troubles I've been ridiculed, insulted, harrased and come w/in a hairbreath of being assaulted several times by one homeowner.

Mr. Obama can go pound sand.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
Regardless of the temperature and weather, I'm going shooting on Tuesday.  Does that count as service?  =D

To me it does. It means you're part of the intended citizen-militia that would be ready to take up arms to stop a threat within sovereign borders, "well-regulated" by having arms in working order and the skill to use them. The Brown Bess above the mantel or in the pantry then is the AR/AK/whatever in the safe now, something the founding fathers would just nod and smile at.

It makes liberals hyperventilate and cry, though. :lol:

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
Because I'm not just asking you to take part in one day of service. I am asking you to make a lasting commitment to make better the lives of your fellow Americans — a commitment that must endure beyond one day, or even one presidency,

That's one of the reasons I'm an NRA-certified firearms instructor.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »
Obama:  "Go out and roll up your sleeves and work to make America better.  She'll need it, because in Washington, we'll be working harder than ever before to gut her and rip out her soul."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 11:54:24 PM »
Screw you, Obama...

I'm willing to volunteer through my wife's church and other charitable organizations that don't rely on cultish leaders to tell them to step up and serve.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:36:07 AM »
If anyone wants to volunteer, MEPS will be open.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »
It makes liberals hyperventilate and cry, though.

I'm happy to help the cause.  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »
Screw you, Obama...

And there ain't enough money to get me to work for the ObamaNation.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

taurusowner

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »
Since school is closed on the 19th, I think I'll lay around all day and watch Band of Brothers.  Maybe go to the range later if the roads aren't too bad.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
And there ain't enough money to get me to work for the ObamaNation.

Yep...I won't help sell our nation down the river...

Since school is closed on the 19th, I think I'll lay around all day and watch Band of Brothers.  Maybe go to the range later if the roads aren't too bad.

Our school just adopted a compressed schedule last semester. We didn't get any holidays off (except Thanksgiving). This semester, the only holiday we'll get off will be MLK day...you know why...

And I'm going to enjoy my one day off...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »
Apparently, Obama just said (yesterday or today) that "we can't afford any idle hands, everybody has to pitch in."  ???  Look, Pres-elect - we don't work for you, see?  We don't take orders from you, either, on what to do with our own time.  That's not exactly how it works.   =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 12:57:02 PM »
I miss the days of school being closed meaning I don't have to go.  Unfortunately, I have a key to the science buildings, which means I get to do work today!
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »
You can't help people who don't want to pitch-in themselves.

By definition, you can only give to those people.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »
You can't help people who don't want to pitch-in themselves.

By definition, you can only give to those people.

I wrote a blistering/scathing response to the above and then deleted it.

Instead I offer this:
What you wrote reads like you're saying those of us that choose not to pitch in and participate in Obama' feel good national day of service BS are the ones not pitching in and thus by definition are the one on the dole.

I certainly hope that's not what you meant. Perhaps you can explain what you meant a bit more clearly.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 02:44:52 PM »
I wrote a blistering/scathing response to the above because it reads like you're saying those of us that choose not to participate in Obama' feel good national day of service BS are the ones not pitching in and thus by definition are the one on the dole.

I certainly hope that's not what you meant. Perhaps you can explain what you meant a bit more clearly.

FTA does not mean what you think he means, Werewolf.

I think he means that the "unfortunate" people Obama and his ilk are forever harping about and insisting that we give to them are the ones who aren't doing anything to improve themselves and will never improve.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »
That's how I read FTA's response, too, Avenger.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
Apparently, Obama just said (yesterday or today) that "we can't afford any idle hands, everybody has to pitch in."  ???  Look, Pres-elect - we don't work for you, see?  We don't take orders from you, either, on what to do with our own time.  That's not exactly how it works.   =|

Yet.
One day at a time.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 08:24:53 PM »
Yeah... I don't do enough to help those less fortunate than I. I really SHOULD try to give more than I do...

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »
I agree with that sentiment.  If anyone should roll up their sleeves and get to work it is the able bodied people who should work, but get unearned govt welfare instead. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Francis Marion

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 10:56:22 AM »
Want to enlist yourself for worthwhile community service?
Volunteer to teach people to shoot rifles.

www.appleseedinfo.org

I spent last weekend with ten other volunteers doing precisely that. 
Rewarding, fulfilling?  Yes.

Men, women, kids, whole families learning about their heritage and how to handle a rifle capably. 
Leaving the country and community better than we found it. 
That's a great way to volunteer.  If you people know how to handle a rifle, join in. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 11:02:09 AM »
Apparently, Obama just said (yesterday or today) that "we can't afford any idle hands, everybody has to pitch in."  ???  Look, Pres-elect - we don't work for you, see?  We don't take orders from you, either, on what to do with our own time.  That's not exactly how it works.   =|

How in the name of all that is Holy did you arrive at the conclusion that Obama is ORDERING you to work for him?

And how, you bunch of clownfishes, is this much different than Bush One's Thousand Points of Light speeches that urged community service?

All he's doing is asking you to take an interest in your community and your county.

How the hell are you 'tards getting something nefariously evil out of that?

Are you all rushing out to QUIT the community service that you already do just because a Democrat DARED to challenge you (collective) to do something?

Even Reagan and Bush Two called for people to get involved in their communities during their presidencies. But that's OK, they were Republicans, so that has none of the inherent evil that a Democrat calling for the exact same thing does, right?

You know, for a bunch of supposedly smart people, you all tend to get your shorts sucked up your bungs over the stupidest things.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:09:22 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »
"I'm willing to volunteer through my wife's church and other charitable organizations that don't rely on cultish leaders to tell them to step up and serve."

Oh, you mean your wife's minister?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.