Author Topic: The media are smitten  (Read 7035 times)

john828

The media are smitten
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »
Watching some of the pre-inauguration reporting this morning has absolutely sickened me.  Most of the talking heads are gushing as if they are talking about their high school sweetheart.  I knew throughout the primaries and election that they were mostly in his corner, but man, I bet Obama could have his way with them without even buying them a drink first.  Brokaw has to be the worst.  With his smug, condescending nasally voice, I cannot even listen to him, so I joined APS instead. 

Rant's over.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

longeyes

• friend
Re: The media are smitten
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »
Brokaw thinks that because he wrote about "the greatest generation" he's part of it.  The pomposity of old news readers never fails to amaze me.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
The media are not smitten.

The media today are on their knees with religious adoration in their eyes. Even Fox.

john828

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »
Pomposity is right.  They truly do believe that they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong.  They believe that they can govern, lead, and convert the masses through their drivel.  Oh, and so many buy into it.  I guess my rant is not over.

Can we discuss the media in this forum?

My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
Religious adoration leavened with too many lines of coke over the years, I suspect.

I'm no more of a fan of W. than many people on this forum, but one reason Bush was so hated was that he is viewed by the overheated Left as the utlimate party-pooper.  Reality is not a word that the Left wants to hear.  As far as the worshippers are concerned, the party's not over, it's just beginning.  The "day after" hangover should be interesting to watch.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:35:57 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
Pomposity is right.  They truly do believe that they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong.  They believe that they can govern, lead, and convert the masses through their drivel.  Oh, and so many buy into it.  I guess my rant is not over.

Can we discuss the media in this forum?

I have no problem with people believing they are right and those who disagree with them are wrong.

If you don't believe that, please don't try to lead.

However, they believe they are right and those who disagree with them are utter morons and evil people who must be destroyed. Not their ideas, the people themselves.

That's what's scary about the left.

I think the left is ignorant and short-sighted. As such, their ideas must be defeated. They think people like me must be destroyed. (Especially in public office).
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
This is not an Inauguration.

It is an Inaug-o-rama...or, to some of us, an Inaug-o-thon.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 11:42:03 AM »
Call it what it is.

It's a coronation.

john828

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
makattak,

I understand that a person who believes in A necessarily has to believe B is wrong if A and B are contradictory.  And I appreciate you elaborating on my thoughts.  Sometimes I don't express myself to well.  Thanks.

Wasn't an augur something like an omen or something?  And an augury, someone who divined and explained the omens?

Whatever, either way, we're in for one hell of a ride over the next four years.  Hopefully many people will wake up and not hit the snooze as soon as their larders are full again.
~z

john828

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 11:47:05 AM »
Nothing honorable about Feinstein but the title she holds.  I guess I am going to watch the inauguration/coronation.
~z

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »
The media are not smitten.

The media today are on their knees with religious adoration in their eyes. Even Fox.

Judging by what I was seeing this morning, I think that's a lot closer to the truth. Even the local DC Fox station is under the spell of the Magi, as it were.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »
Nothing honorable about Feinstein but the title she holds.  I guess I am going to watch the inauguration/coronation.

Yay, Feinstein talking about liberty.

I'd rather not watch this, but the people at work are.  It's not worth the conflict to leave.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »

I'd rather not watch this, but the people at work are.  It's not worth the conflict to leave.

Why are they watching that instead of doing work?

If I had control over IT, I'd kill the mime types for all streaming video for the day. If they want to waste time, they can take PTO from their total and sit at home.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »

Well, I'm on my work computer, but my team works in a conference room.  My teammates fired up the TV in the conference room.

john828

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 12:04:18 PM »

Lipservice only, just like Biden's (and soon to be Obama's) oath to defend the Constitution from all enemies domestic and foreign.  The entire BoR is like a playground for them, and they think swings are slides and slides are monkey bars.
~z

ronnyreagan

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »

If I had control over IT, I'd kill the mime types for all streaming video for the day. If they want to waste time, they can take PTO from their total and sit at home.
Why are most of us posting on an internet forum instead of doing work? Would you block access to APS as well? :police:
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 12:13:40 PM »
Why are most of us posting on an internet forum instead of doing work? Would you block access to APS as well? :police:

Yeah, that takes all of five seconds to post something in one of many windows on two screens while I'm waiting for a video segment to render so I can continue working with it. It's not rapt attention on a TV show.

john828

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
Well, I turned it off after the first few minutes of his speech.  After he said something about us weathering the storms by remaining faithful to our forebearers and true to our founding documents, I just heard all I needed to hear.

The brightest spot of the day was Rick Warren's prayer.  If only it will be answered the way he prayed.  I oftentimes don't get what I ask for, but seem to get what I need.

I think I will watch the after action reports by the talking heads.  I must be a masochist to do so, but I want to hear their spin and see if any creamed their pants.
~z

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
From the speech.

Nor is the question before us whether the market is a force for good or ill. Its power to generate wealth and expand freedom is unmatched, but this crisis has reminded us that without a watchful eye, the market can spin out of control - and that a nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous. The success of our economy has always depended not just on the size of our Gross Domestic Product, but on the reach of our prosperity; on our ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart - not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good.

Prosperous. Those who worked hard to get rewards.

Oh, f___  =(

john828

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
I hope by...
on our ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart
...he meant, "get a job you lazy parasite on society."
~z

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
that a nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous.

IMO, a "nation" should not prosper at all.  It should subsist.

Individuals should prosper if they earn the means to do so.

Nations should also not favor anybody... prosperous folks or non-prosperous folks.  Nations should be blind to income just as they should be to race, religion, ethnicity or sex.

Sigh.  So much broken logic, so little time, and no ears to hear it. ;/

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »
Do they have crazy poets reading at every inauguration? I know Clinton had Maya Angelou, can't recall if GW had anybody.
Heh. There's a kid just to Michelle's right that has a total 'WTF' look on his face. I sympathize.

P.S. Hot damn, at least the bishop can make a rhyme.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »
not out of charity,

Because charity is an act of free will, and taxation is not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »

Yup.

This ought to be interesting. If you dared work hard for money, it's going to be taken away to give to people with poor impulse control and zero work ethic.

john828

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »

LMAO, Ben.  Too true.  To take my money and give it to someone who sits around and just collects a check or two a month is an abomination of justice.

Real conversation overheard on a bus in Minneapolis.  Girl basically says, "I can't wwait for my baby is born, so I can get that new Durango."  Pitiful.  Here I was driving a POS minivan with over 200,000 miles which had broken down which put me on the bus just so I can overhear that conversation.  
~z