Author Topic: Last Day Blues  (Read 1392 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Last Day Blues
« on: November 04, 2005, 06:19:48 AM »
This is my last day at my job in Austin. we start packing this weekend, and I start my new job in Dallas on Monday.

While I despise many aspects of this situation (local politics/favoritism, bureaucratic management, etc.) I will miss some of the people I've formed bonds with. At 34, I'm more prone to wistfulness and melancholy in reflecting on the past. I'm also the type who has difficulty getting excited about the future. A glass half empty person all around, I suppose.

So, a little sad, just wanted to express it here among other friends, many of whom I look forward to meeting soon.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Last Day Blues
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:55:32 AM »
Here's to new beginnings!

I'm wired about the same way as you, but the only constant in life (and careers, these days) seems to be change, so dealing with it becomes an acquired skill.  
Steer what you can.
Sit back and experience the ride on what you can't control.
Tomorrow's a new day.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Last Day Blues
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 08:27:23 AM »
Not an uncommon feeling, especially if you like some of your coworkers.

I moved to a new job inside my company a couple of years ago. The unit I worked for was disintegrating due to major contract losses and other issues. I still miss many of the people I worked with even though I see them relatively often because I'm only a couple of miles from the old office. We had a really tight group of people, and that hasn't been replicated here.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
Last Day Blues
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 10:17:26 AM »
Hey, you're in Texas.  You could be in Michigan and moving from Flint to White Cloud and not see the sun again until June 22, 2006.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SADShooter

• friend
Last Day Blues
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 11:07:59 AM »
Point taken, gramps.

I had a nice lunch, and I feel a bit better. Still sort of a weird state, though. Why do I have to care what I haven't accomplished when no one lese does (except my supervisor)?

In two months this place will be just as dysfunctional as it is today, and I'll be the scapegoat for everything bad that happened before I left. I know this. Why am I still here working?

OK, a coworker on her way out gave me a hug and some very nice compliments. Never mind...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Penman

Last Day Blues
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 03:06:30 PM »
Yup. A friend who retired from the company where I work said that he didn't miss the work but he missed his friends.

Moondoggie

• friend
Last Day Blues
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 04:46:32 PM »
Keep an open mind in your new assignment...you never know, it may turn out to be better than where you were.

26 yrs in the military...I've been transfered more times than I can count.

Even if it sucks big time, it's not forever.

Happy Trails!
Known from coast to coast, almost!