Author Topic: Obama closes Gitmo and officially bans torture by Executive Order  (Read 24071 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Obama closes Gitmo and officially bans torture by Executive Order
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
i think we need to keep very careful track of them and everytime one of em kills americans we need to hold peoples feet to the fire. maybe vigils outside their home office and church with posters of those killed  i am getting soft in my old age i was originally gonna say outside their kids school as well
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »
Really. Hardened killers from some ickystan.

Well, then I suppose you'd not mind if they had at your family?

False choice fallacy.

I can prove just as effectively (i.e. not effectively at all) that the treatment of prisoners (guilty or not) at Guantanamo will put just as many terrorists in my back yard as releasing all 800 or so prisoners.  That's assuming that they will be released into society, which most of them will not be.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:58:06 PM by Nitrogen »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
False choice fallacy.
It's not a fallacy at all.  It's a good point.  If we let these guys out of jail, some of them are gonna attack us again.  Maybe you're ok with that.  I'm not. 

Letting these guys go is a Really Bad Idea.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »
It's not a fallacy at all.  It's a good point.  If we let these guys out of jail, some of them are gonna attack us again.  Maybe you're ok with that.  I'm not. 

Letting these guys go is a Really Bad Idea.

If they were normal POW's they'd be let go after hostilities ended anyway.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:55 PM »
Alright, then let's hold 'em until hostilities are over. 

That's not to say all of these guys are POWs or should be given any such consideration.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:15:29 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

lone_gunman

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »
Alright, then let's hold 'em until hostilities are over.

The War on Terror will never end.  So they will be held until they die.  That is expensive, and more inhumane than simply executing them.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 08:23:12 PM »
Ahem.

"Gitmo" aka, Guantanamo Bay existed long before the current holding facility was built there.

It's a U.S. Naval Base base on the very eastern end of Cuba, established in 1903, much to the chagrine of Fidel Castro when he took over.

The new administration has signed paperwork closing the detainee camp, which has taken on the "Gitmo" moniker previously assigned to the entire naval base.

That is all.  

We're not giving up our toehold on Cuba that easily.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lone_gunman

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Yes you are correct.  I think everyone is aware that Gitmo is a US Naval base, thanks to Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson.  Only the prison is closing.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »
The War on Terror will never end.  So they will be held until they die. 
That, I believe, is pretty unlikely.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
iirc some of thopse we've already released have "reoffended"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »
iirc some of thopse we've already released have "reoffended"

Had we just executed them, we wouldn't have to worry about "re-killing" them.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 10:44:29 PM »
Put them on a C-17 and lose them out the back somewhere over the atlantic. Seriously though, BHO will regret closing Gitmo. Time will tell but unfortunately someone will die from the hands of one of them Gitmo residents within 2 years of their release.

lone_gunman

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
I don't think any Gitmo detainees are going to be released.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »
Nor do I.  I think they'll be shoe-horned through the criminal courts here, making a mockery of justice in the process.  It's a really dumb thing to do, but we're going to do it anyway, and then we're going to pat ourselves on the back for doing it.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:14 AM »
Not even repatriated to their own country? Some may never be released from custody but the few that have in the past have went right back into their chosen profession.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 06:17:42 AM »
Not even repatriated to their own country? Some may never be released from custody but the few that have in the past have went right back into their chosen profession.

Really?

A 100% reoffense rate? Even among those ruled not guilty?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lone_gunman

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »
Nor do I.  I think they'll be shoe-horned through the criminal courts here, making a mockery of justice in the process.  It's a really dumb thing to do, but we're going to do it anyway, and then we're going to pat ourselves on the back for doing it.

That is what I think will happen as well, if Gitmo actually closes.  We will try them in US courts, convict them, and give them life sentences in US Prisons.  None will be executed, and none will be released.  Then as you say, we will compliment ourselves on how much more humane we are now that Obama is our president.  France and Germany will be happy.  The terrorists will get worse treatment in federal prison than they were getting at Gitmo.  A fair number will get killed by their cell mates.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 08:45:36 AM »
Seriously though, BHO will regret closing Gitmo.

Literally or figuratively?

I doubt seriously if BHO will ever regret anything he does.

Other individuals will regret the closing, but not BHO.

Anygunanywhere

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »

That is what I think will happen as well, if Gitmo actually closes.  We will try them in US courts, convict them, and give them life sentences in US Prisons.  None will be executed, and none will be released.  Then as you say, we will compliment ourselves on how much more humane we are now that Obama is our president.  France and Germany will be happy.  The terrorists will get worse treatment in federal prison than they were getting at Gitmo.  A fair number will get killed by their cell mates.

Some will be killed.  But some will be treated as heroes, and many will have the opportunity to convert others to the cause.

Prisons have long been called finishing schools for criminals.  You'll be able to add "domestic terrorists" to that soon enough.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »
How many of you would be considered a terrorist suspect with evidence like this: "The evidence against 39% of the detainees rests in part on the possession of a Kalashnikov rifle."?  :O
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
None will be executed, and none will be released

There are some people in Gitmo already known to be innocent.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
There are some people in Gitmo already known to be innocent.

Source, please?

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »
Source, please?

I think he means people already found innocent (through "trials") and scheduled released except the bureaucrats gummed up the works.

I'd welcome other information though :)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
Hmmp, I don't recall saying anything about 100 percent of anything.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 12:27:54 PM »

I agree. Or a few low-risk/low value detainees are going to get shuffled to other countries. A few others will get the "constitutional" civilian stateside show-trials. Net result, either Gitmo will remain open indefinately due to "unforseen problems", or Gitmo will just get distributed and broken up into other centers that are essentialy the same, and the liberal establishment/MSM will direct it's attention elsewhere.

Beyond the pro-forma placation of the beeding-heart Amnesty International types who find it easier to engage a relatively honest and humane country like America, than the real despots of the world, the reality of being a captured stateless non-uniformed combatant in AWOT will not change much over the next four years.

Or, it'll be worse as our military and intelligence services look for other avenues to detain and interrogate terrorists. Such as increased use of leaving them with our "allies" who have no standard of humane treatment whatsoever. Or simply searching for "plausible denial", and it happens completely anonomyously in the field. Field telophone, testicles, and an unmarked grave...

Gitmo is going to look like heaven in comparison. Both for what will really happen to terrorists and "people of interest/suspicion", and for what America will become now that there's incentive to detain and interrogate "off the books".
I promise not to duck.