Author Topic: Someboy make my Christmas List for me...  (Read 1763 times)

Smoke

Someboy make my Christmas List for me...
« on: November 05, 2005, 01:05:48 PM »
My wife/mother/sister are all asking for christmas ideas already.  I hate making lists.  Never know what I want.....(at least that's in theit budgets)

So to attempt to make it easy on them I'm doing the Amazon.com thing.  Books and movies.....

Your suggestions, please.  My tastes in movies run to westerns,(not Eastwood) gun/action flicks, and comedys.  I don't see many new releases unless they are by Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks (Kid flicks) so thats open too.

For Example:
Black Hawk Down
Monte Walsh
Last Man Standing

Ok people give me your best  recommendations.

Thanks

Smoke

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 02:24:18 PM »
I know where a 70's vintage  NIB 870 28 ga is Cheesy

You really really need this.  Why yes you are quite welcome!  

Books:

"The Pillar of the Earth",  "Atlas Shrugged",  "Civil Disobedience".

Have you read any of Nelson Demille's works?  I recommend these. His character John Corey is...is...you would like John Cory. *grin*.  http://www.nelsondemille.net/

Movies:

[Bone to pick, Just what is the hell is wrong with Eastwood?]

Classics you gotta have:

Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Dr. Zhivago, Wild Bunch, Dirty Dozen, MASH, The Sacketts, Way of the Gun, Heat, Collateral,...

Tapes:

Okay some folks have CDs, in vehicles- sue me.  Gotta have:

Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, ZZTop, Allman Bros, Stones, Eagles, Seger, Eric Clapton, ...

Now being as you are still a whippersapper - have I got an idea that would really blow the kinfolks mind - especially the wife.

Need an old beater truck , INVITE ME down. What we do is - just stick any old oil in the truck to keep it running, water from the creek for radiator, cigarette lighter needs to work for Q Beams,  brakes are optional, air in the balding tires are good, we run the property, Briars, brambles, bounce off Mesquite trees, chase critters, shoot, make ruckus.
You do have a cell phone with numbers of folks with tractors, saves walking out so far. You still got a buddy in the Sheriff's dept - good, that saves lawyers fees.  

This would be "memorable" , I would get to pass forward as I'm supposed to do, and you need to do this before you get old.

Well...you did say you hated coming up with ideas, and needed something different to suggest. *grin*.

Certified Trouble Maker and Curmudgeon at your service sir-

Steve

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:38:40 PM »
Anything by John Steinbeck, start with Tortilla Flat, Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday (read CR first, and then ST), or any of the short stories, finish with The Grapes of Wrath.  Read it, and then read it again.

"[Bone to pick, Just what the hell is wrong with Eastwood?]"

Yeah!  What's up with that?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 02:39:20 PM »
Give'em all a boot to the head.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Smoke

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 03:38:33 PM »
Nothing "wrong" with Eastwood....just not one of my favorites.  Seen 'em all.....no desire to own them......they run on TV often enough.

Music:  Internet and a VERY extensive CD collection has most of that filled.

28ga 870 - nice thought.......maybe for a gift for myself.  None of the aforementioned family chicks are laying that kinda scratch down for this rooster.

"Pillars of the Earth"  (Follett) is my al time favorite book.  Is that the one you were referencing sm?  Read it a half dozen times.

Haven't done Steinbeck, thanks.....I'll add some of these in.  Keep 'em coming

Smoke

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Smoke
Haven't done Steinbeck, thanks
Oh, man, you have been missing out.  Make sure and read The Red Pony, but only after you are used to Steinbeck's style (sad story).

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »
Also.  Anything by Pearl S. Buck.

I guess that brands me as an old timer.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 03:49:59 PM »
"Pillars of the Earth"  (Follett)
Yes  that is the one!  Great Book and I am due for a re-read myself. I have lost count on how many times I have read it.

Robert Ruark , is another one I collected all his works.  I 'think' I lost a couple in a move...need to check.

Hemingway, I have a lot.  I like Kipling, Faulkner and other classics as well.

What I wish someone would do, with a great speaking voice like Sam Elliot - is do Books on Tape of Ruark, Hemingway and such.

Oh, I still read all the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

One of my next 'goals' is to find the works of Bob Brister. He did some great stories and some include coverage of Hurricane, disasters, conservations, hunting, fishing and whatnot  back when...

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 04:07:47 PM »
Quote from: sm
Oh, I still read all the works of Edgar Allan Poe.
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"

Jeez, I haven't read Poe for many years.  Time to do some catching up.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 04:30:28 PM »
Tell them you want a Porsche 911.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 06:23:16 PM »
Tell 'em to fly a bunch of us in for the holidays and we'll go shoot and make chili and drink beer and tell lies.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 06:32:07 PM »
grampster-
That'll work.

Still gonna need that truck I mentioned. No need to license the thing tho...I gots a plan - gotta do something while the chili simmers....*smirk*

Sure hope Smoke still has that Sheriff buddy of his...

We gotta make sure LawDog comes along for sure...just in case...back up plan and all that stuff...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 06:45:31 PM »
Lawdog is a necessity for the lies part.  Your truck is a given.  .22's and shotguns too.

We'll need a tumble down cabin, some dogs, sleeping bags and a lot of grub.  Cigars, beer and good bottled water.  What else?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 07:25:41 PM »
Tunes!

Smoke-

Whatcha YOU need is a PARTY!  You have been working way too hard.  And...err...oh yeah you will have take down the lights, dispose of the tree and all that stuff later on anyway...

So you need an "attitude adjusment" beforehand.

ZZTop " just a little old band from Texas"  - good description how this bunch could Party and give you a holiday not likely to be forgotten for a long time...
...by a lot of folks...
...some may just want to remember anything about it later...

I don't drink so I can be designated ...err...I usually get designated and called names for stuff I do sober....

Mrs. Smoke will be soooo Proud!!