Author Topic: Marines order new batch of M72 LAW  (Read 30340 times)

• friend
Marines order new batch of M72 LAW
« on: January 27, 2009, 05:15:38 AM »
I just saw an article that said the Marines ordered about 8000 M72 LAWs.  I always liked the LAW.  =)  But, the LAW had just about completely disappeared from the military's inventory.

They aren't strong enough for some modern armor applications, but they were relatively light and easy to carry.  And they work well against cars and small trucks and modestly fortified positions.  But, probably the best thing about them was a lefty could shoot them just as easily as a righty.  Try that with an AT4.   =|  A lefty can do it, but it's awkward as all get-out.

Sometimes old technology is better.  But then most gun folks know that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Marines order new batch of M72 LAW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:29:10 AM »
A cute little, fold-up bazooka?  Ya gotta love those things.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:42 AM »
Cool, I like LAWs.  You can carry more.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:14:05 AM »
Maybe someone figured out that instead of trading rounds with bad guys in the next building or trying to get close enough to put a grenade through the window, hitting it with a LAW is more effective?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:09 AM »
It is not just the Marines, but the Rangers like LAWs over the AT4.  You can collapse the LAW and stuff it into your rucksack for a jump.  The AT4 you gotta strap to your side.

If the balloon goes up, there are enough LAWs to go 'round so that every Ranger could pack a LAW in their ruck.  SOP was that once you completed your PLF & yanked the quick-release on the one riser, you unlimbered your primary weapon, stuffed your chute away in the bag, and then unlimbered the LAW.  Then, you ran to the AA, ruck on back, a LAW under one arm & rifle under the other arm.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
I just saw an article that said the Marines ordered about 8000 M72 LAWs.  I always liked the LAW.  =)  But, the LAW had just about completely disappeared from the military's inventory.

They aren't strong enough for some modern armor applications, but they were relatively light and easy to carry.  And they work well against cars and small trucks and modestly fortified positions.  But, probably the best thing about them was a lefty could shoot them just as easily as a righty.  Try that with an AT4.   =|  A lefty can do it, but it's awkward as all get-out.

Sometimes old technology is better.  But then most gun folks know that.

Sounds perfect for use against a "technical" or a car full of AK-wielding insurgents.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »
Sounds perfect for use against a "technical" or a car full of AK-wielding insurgents.

Have they made any improvments/changes to the warhead? It seems to me that a shaped charge would be kind of overkill on thin-skinned vehicles. Perhaps a general purpose HE/Frag warhead would be more suitable in some applications?

The insurgency does not field much armor.  =D

I wonder if there's anything like that new SMAW rocket that "counts" the walls/barriers it goes through before exploding to overpressure the whole vehicle/structure from inside.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »

Using a LAW against modern armor is an interesting means of committing suicide.  Enacted by either by said armor, or by your coworkers.

What we need is our own copy of the RPG.  There is a paratrooper varient of the RPG that unscrews into two pieces.  RPG is excellent for breaching walls, disabling modern armor, breaching fortified positions (if used correctly), vaporizing small vehicles, etc.  Hell, folks have used them as AA weapons to decent effect in volley firing.  The Russians never showed the interest in doing so, but it's entirely possible to make a range of rockets that are specialized.  Breacher rounds, frag rounds, armor piercing rounds, etc.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »
Interesting, I didn't know we still had LAW's in inventory. Gotta be better than an AT4. Got a old Soviet copy of a LAW shot at me one time; blew up the store-front ~20 feet behind the truck real good. I was actually surprised how much damage it did.

AJ: I was a SMAW gunner, and I believe you're referring to the "Novel Explosive" rocket. It's not a "smart" round as you seem to imply. It's just a thermobaric warhead; you had to shoot it through a window or opening to get the implosion affect. Although they may have changed it since I got out.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »
Using a LAW against modern armor is an interesting means of committing suicide.  Enacted by either by said armor, or by your coworkers.

What we need is our own copy of the RPG.  There is a paratrooper varient of the RPG that unscrews into two pieces.  RPG is excellent for breaching walls, disabling modern armor, breaching fortified positions (if used correctly), vaporizing small vehicles, etc.  Hell, folks have used them as AA weapons to decent effect in volley firing.  The Russians never showed the interest in doing so, but it's entirely possible to make a range of rockets that are specialized.  Breacher rounds, frag rounds, armor piercing rounds, etc.

The Germans already make one.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
Interesting, I didn't know we still had LAW's in inventory. Gotta be better than an AT4. Got a old Soviet copy of a LAW shot at me one time; blew up the store-front ~20 feet behind the truck real good. I was actually surprised how much damage it did.

AJ: I was a SMAW gunner, and I believe you're referring to the "Novel Explosive" rocket. It's not a "smart" round as you seem to imply. It's just a thermobaric warhead; you had to shoot it through a window or opening to get the implosion affect. Although they may have changed it since I got out.

I'm pretty sure they have a new variant that counts one impact/piercing of a wall then detonates to over-pressure the structure. It was on that "Futureweapons" show with the bald former SEAL who constantly talks in that overly dramatic hissing whisper all the time.

I think that show would be one of my absolute favorites if it had Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs" as the host instead.  :laugh:

Also, do we still field the four-shot boxy LAW that Ahhhhnallld made famous in "Commando"?
I promise not to duck.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
Marines have gone back to using the LAW for a couple of years now. Mostly this is for busting up enemy firing positions and mouse-holing during MOUT.

Easier to carry a bunch of them than the SMAW or AT4.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »
Here we go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M72_LAW#US_variants

We were issued the M72A6 when I was in (1996-1999):
"M72 variant; rocket w/ low penetration, improved blast effect; uses improved launcher assembly"

I recall that they had been re-arsenalled.  The black rubber bits had been replaced and glued in place with clear GE silicone sealant/adhesive.

FTR, I would not want to be the guy re-arsenalling a M72 law.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
How accurate are they?

Is the explodyness more or less than a normal grenade?

So the LAW is given to everyone? There is no designated person - a law-man - in each unit who might carry a bunch of them?

What happens if the fins don't pop out?

What if you extend it then decide you don't need to use it, can it be collapsed back with no risk?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
How accurate are they?

Is the explodyness more or less than a normal grenade?

So the LAW is given to everyone? There is no designated person - a law-man - in each unit who might carry a bunch of them?

What happens if the fins don't pop out?

What if you extend it then decide you don't need to use it, can it be collapsed back with no risk?

Accurate enough to hit a vehicle within their effective range.  Stationary vehicles were no problemo.

Not sure

The only folks who didn't get them in my unit were those who carried the heaviest loads: radiomen, M240 gunners, Gustav gunners, mortars, medics, etc.

Hell if I know.  Probably don;t fly straight.

Yes.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Marvin Dao

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »
Quote from: Manedwolf
The Germans already make one.

The Panzerfaust 3? That's much closer in weight and capability to the AT4/SMAW/RPG-29 than the RPG-7.

I'm pretty sure they have a new variant that counts one impact/piercing of a wall then detonates to over-pressure the structure. It was on that "Futureweapons" show with the bald former SEAL who constantly talks in that overly dramatic hissing whisper all the time.

Probably the Bunkerfaust variant of the Panzerfaust 3. It doesn't "count" walls per say. Rather, it creatively uses a dual warhead setup to make a hole in a wall and drop a grenade inside with unhealthy results for the people occupying that area.

Significantly better than the LAW for that purpose, but it's also about 6 times heavier.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:45:55 PM by Marvin Dao »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »
Also, do we still field the four-shot boxy LAW that Ahhhhnallld made famous in "Commando"?

M202A1 Flame Assault Shoulder Weapon (Flash)

I got to play with the things many years ago, back in the days of "The Old Corps."TM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M202A1_FLASH

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/flame/M202.html

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:40:12 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
The Panzerfaust 3? That's much closer in weight and capability to the AT4/SMAW/RPG-29 than the RPG-7.

Probably the Bunkerfaust variant of the Panzerfaust 3. It doesn't "count" walls per say. Rather, it creatively uses a dual warhead setup to make a hole in a wall and drop a grenade inside with unhealthy results for the people occupying that area.

Significantly better than the LAW for that purpose, but it's also about 6 times heavier.

Yes, but it's got such a cool name. You yell for that, someone knows the hurt is coming. When German words involving artillery start flying around, something's going to go bang in a big way. They've always been rather good at that. =)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 12:05:06 AM »
You don't want to be standing behind them or in a confined space (cover - doh...). Plus they're single shot. I'd figure that you could carry more, and a wider variety of, blooper rounds... IMHO, they oughta bring back the M79... I think the 203 is "convenient," but it's more awkward.

Blog under construction

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:44 AM »

IMHO, they oughta bring back the M79... I think the 203 is "convenient," but it's more awkward.

Precisely what I thought when I had to carry one of the damn things.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 12:38:40 AM »
Yes, but it's got such a cool name. You yell for that, someone knows the hurt is coming. When German words involving artillery start flying around, something's going to go bang in a big way. They've always been rather good at that. =)

I swear to the Gods, if I ever hear an APS member say "Erhalten sie Bunkerfausten für die Panzerfaust"...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »
I was never a military man, and with no practical experience at all I preferred the M-79 over the 203 also.

I've always wanted one yet I've never lusted after the 203.

I don't have anything to base that opinion on (other than "internet rules") but it just seemed like it was a better system for delivering small pain packages. Handier to use and aim, lighter to carry than the combo system, and just plain cooler looking.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 03:47:43 AM »
We had some in Panama - heck, back then there were still grease guns floating around. The M79 is also just so much easier to aim and fire, and is more intuitive/instinctive against close massed targets with multiple projectile loads... and it hurts when you try to fire it from your shoulder. I wish they'd come up with a SxS or O/U version of it. Probably wouldn't be that hard, altho it would increase the weight a bit.

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 03:49:00 AM »
You'll know that you're going to hear...

"Erhalten sie Bunkerfausten für die Panzerfaust"...

...if just before, you hear the words...

"Hey, could someone hold my Shiner while I do this?"
Blog under construction

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 04:36:19 AM »
The IDF actually uses the RPG-7 a lot, as I learned during the armorer courses. The likely opponent (Palestinians, Syrians) has no armor that cannot be pierced by them, and they're very useful in delivering pain packages in areas that regular arty can't get to.

Also, according to the books I have read about the Russian Army, they've used the RPG-7 in Chechnya for the same purpose, and (again according to written accounts, I do not pretend to have real experience with the weapon beyond having held one) apparently the soldiers there swear by it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner