Author Topic: Cartels in Mexico's Drug War Get Guns From US  (Read 13426 times)

Waitone

• friend
Cartels in Mexico's Drug War Get Guns From US
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »
Anytime I see an article about guns in Mexico my ears perk up.  US officials have yet (to my satisfaction) to demonstrate the problem.
http://www.newsmax.com/us/cartel_guns/2009/01/27/175504.html

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:00 AM

PHOENIX -- As police approached a drug cartel's safe house in northwestern Mexico last May, gunmen inside poured on fire with powerful assault rifles and grenades, killing seven officers whose weapons were no match.

Four more lawmen were wounded in the bloodbath and a cache of weapons was seized, including a single AK-47 assault rifle that authorities say was purchased 800 miles away at a Phoenix gun shop and smuggled into Mexico.

The rifle's presence in Mexico underscores two realities in the government's war against drug traffickers: Nearly all the guns the cartels use are smuggled into Mexico from the U.S., and officials say a small number of corrupt American weapons dealers are making the gun running possible.

"It's a war," said Bill Newell, special agent in charge of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Arizona and New Mexico. "It's a war between the drug cartels. And it's a war between the government and the drug cartels. And the weapons of war are the weapons that they are acquiring illegally here in the United States."

Authorities don't know how many firearms are sneaked across the border, but the ATF says more than 7,700 guns sold in America were traced to Mexico last year, up from 3,300 the year before and about 2,100 in 2006. The increase is attributed both to a higher volume going south and a growing interest among Mexican authorities in running recovered weapons through a U.S. gun-tracing database.

Mexican and U.S. officials estimate the cartels get 95 percent of their guns from the United States; others are stolen when cartels overrun Mexican authorities. Cartels recruit "straw buyers" in the United States who make purchases on their behalf. Then people are paid to bring the weapons across the border.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection, whose inspectors scrutinize border-crossers at ports of entry, declined to characterize the frequency of its searches of vehicles driving into Mexico, but conceded that not all traffic leaving America is searched.

Inspections of vehicles coming into the United States are considered a bigger priority, because they are aimed at stopping weapons, terrorists and other dangerous elements from coming into the country. Periodic searches of outgoing traffic are done as spot checks and in response to tips of upcoming attempts to smuggle guns or cash.

"We just don't have the manpower to do 100 percent inspections of outgoing traffic," said agency spokesman Jason Ciliberti.

Federal agents say the small number of dealers who knowingly sell guns to smuggling rings have the potential to inflict a lot of damage. As evidence, they cite the Arizona gun dealer accused of selling the AK-47 recovered at the May 27 shootout in Culiacan involving the powerful Sinaloa cartel.

George Iknadosian, owner of X-Caliber Guns in Phoenix, is accused of selling guns to two groups of straw buyers when he knew the weapons were going to be smuggled into Mexico. He also was targeted in stings in which he allegedly sold guns to undercover officers posing as straw buyers.

Iknadosian is set for trial Feb. 3 on fraud and other charges. His lawyer, Thomas M. Baker of Phoenix, didn't return calls seeking comment.

Investigators believe 600 guns sold by Iknadosian ended up in Mexico, most headed to the violent Pacific Coast state of Sinaloa.

Authorities say several have surfaced. They include:

_ An AK-47 and .38-caliber Super pistol with diamond-encrusted grips found after the Nov. 2 killing of the police chief of the northern state of Sonora as he walked into a hotel about two miles south of the Arizona border.

_ A .38-caliber Super pistol seized a year ago when Mexican special forces captured a top Sinaloa cartel lieutenant, Alfredo Beltran Leyva, and three members of his security team in Culiacan.

_ Three assault rifles recovered after patrolling federal police officers were fired upon and responded by killing four gunmen from the Beltran Leyva drug gang on July 2 at a house in Culiacan.

The overwhelming majority of guns recovered in Mexico come from America's four southern border states, with Texas first, followed by California, Arizona and New Mexico, according to the ATF. Many of the rest come from other Western states (Washington, Nevada, Colorado and Oklahoma), the South (Georgia, Florida and Louisiana) and the Midwest (Illinois, Ohio and Indiana).

Gun smuggling corridors are usually dictated by proximity to the nearest and easiest sources of weapons.

Drug smugglers seek out guns in America because gun laws in Mexico are more restrictive than in the United States. Mexicans must get approval for a gun purchase from the Mexican defense department and are limited to guns with a caliber no higher than the standard .38-caliber. Larger calibers are considered military weapons and are off-limits to civilians.

Gun traffickers break caches into small loads to lower the risk of losing them all in a bust. Some guns are walked into Mexico, but most are driven through ports of entry, stuffed inside spare ties, fastened to undercarriages with zip ties, kept in hidden compartments, or bubble-wrapped and tucked in vehicle panels.

Investigators say smugglers sometimes wait until inspectors on both sides are busy with peak border traffic to drive across.

Prosecutors allege Iknadosian offered smuggling advice to a confidential informant during a police sting at his shop in Phoenix, telling the informant to break up purchases. "If you got pulled over two is no biggie," Iknadosian is quoted as saying in a search-warrant affidavit. "Four is a question. Fifteen is what are you doing. So if you got two, hey me and a buddy are going to go out shooting."

Arturo Sarukhan, the Mexican ambassador to the United States, says his country wants the U.S. government to fully enforce gun exportation laws, crack down on more straw buys at guns shows and gather more information on which firearms dealers are selling to rings.

For its part, Mexico must put more money and people into searching incoming border traffic, Sarukhan said.

"If Mexico and the United States are going to be successful, we are going to have to tango together," Sarukhan said.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:14:28 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
Re: Cartels in Mexico's Drug War Get Guns From US
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »
With a porous border and two-way migration and millions of "willing friends," it's hard to see how this problem does not get worse.

The answer: legalize the stuff and take the money out of it.

Oh wait, our banks would collapse...

But haven't they already, anyway?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
With a porous border and two-way migration and millions of "willing friends," it's hard to see how this problem does not get worse.

Oh wait, our banks would collapse...

But haven't they already, anyway?

I can always tell who has never seen a meth tweaker's rampaging in person.

john828

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »

Much like the war on drugs, we may see a war on guns.  Seems hypocritical to fight fire with fire, but there you have it.  *expletive deleted*it, I just caught your drift.  I thought you were saying that Mexico should legalize guns.  Nevermind.  Maybe I should ban myself because I am getting more and more pessimistic, post by post.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

Beagle

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:35:09 PM »

<thread drift>I have. But as an old paramedic, I saw far more violence over drug turf and money than by actual consumption of the drugs. Legalization is no panacea, but I think it would probably be noticeably better than what we've got now.</thread drift>

Beagle

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:36:32 PM »
At any rate, it's too bad our military is all overseas. A decent argument can be made for Mexico as a threat to America. If there is anywhere in the world ready for the spreading of democracy at gunpoint, it's Mexico.

john828

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
You mean the "bugs under my skin" and stuff?  All I know about meth is that, if a meth head can reinvent the wheel, they damn sure are gonna try.  I also know that if I were a dentist, I'd want to go rural and help them out.

Seriously, the day will come when Beagle's complaint is verified and then the army will be stationed there, but by then our gun rights will be abolished.  Our only hope is that, just as in the case of alcohol, the amendment will be repealed.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »
Let me see if I've got this straight.

1. Mexican criminals are shooting the place up.
2. Some of their guns come from Los Estatos Unidos.
3. Therefore, we need to disarm America's commoners.

Stalin would understand, I'm sure.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Beagle

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:59:24 PM »
You mean the "bugs under my skin" and stuff?  All I know about meth is that, if a meth head can reinvent the wheel, they damn sure are gonna try.

One of the most violent episodes I have ever witnessed was at the hands of a doper. The depths of uncontrolled rage that some drugs can release are simply astonishing.

So I understand the anti-drug argument from that POV. I just think it's an instance of emotion getting in the way of cold logic. The damage caused by dopers is a fraction of the damage caused by artificially inflated drug prices.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:51:58 AM »
 Therefore, we need to disarm America's commoners

other than you who said this?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:03:45 AM »
Pete Shields.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »

Ever seen a guy with an AK47 rampaging? 
Your arugment is invalid and exactly the same that the antis use in their plan to disarm us.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
tweakers rage when they run out. make it legal and cheap they can do meth till they die or want help.its a self curing problem.meths a funny thing  i know old drunks old junkies and occaisional old coke freak that got old and of course lots and lots of old pot heads. but meth doesn't lend itself to old age. i think what convinced me was having some that was wrapped up in that thick restaraunt grade aliminum foil  i left it on my dresser  i came home from school and it had disolved the foil and stripped the finish off a circle a couple inches round on the dresser.  that image managed to cut through the fog and had an impact.

so my solution to raging tweakers?  an all you can eat buffet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »
Dear Mexico:

If illegal cross-border traffic is a problem for Mexico, then you'll no doubt be eager to join with the USA in building, maintaining, and guarding a fence to stop ALL illicit cross-border movement of ANY type.

We invite you to work with us.

Very Truly Yours -

The USA.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:23 AM »
Read between the lines.

PHOENIX -- As police approached a drug cartel's safe house in northwestern Mexico last May, gunmen inside poured on fire with powerful assault rifles and grenades, killing seven officers whose weapons were no match.

Four more lawmen were wounded in the bloodbath and a cache of weapons was seized, including a single AK-47 assault rifle that authorities say was purchased 800 miles away at a Phoenix gun shop and smuggled into Mexico.

ONE rifle came from the US. The rest of the rifles, and definitely the grenades would have come from the Mexican military.

Ever seen a guy with an AK47 rampaging? 
Your arugment is invalid and exactly the same that the antis use in their plan to disarm us.

Oh, come on. That's apples and oranges, and completely invalid. You KNOW better than that.

An AK-47 does not make someone rage. It's an object. Meth, on the other hand, causes people to become intensely paranoid, see shadow people, and become violent.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
Read between the lines.

It seems like since maybe last summer (mid election), that these types of stories have increased, too.  I get that fear sells, but they way the media sells it makes me quite suspicious.
Oh, come on. That's apples and oranges, and completely invalid. You KNOW better than that.
An AK-47 does not make someone rage. It's an object. Meth, on the other hand, causes people to become intensely paranoid, see shadow people, and become violent.
And if they become violent, its well within my rights to protect myself from them.  That is the root issue in our country, that people are stripped away of their rights and expected to be sheep.  Get violent on Meth?  Expect to pay the consequences with your life.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »

Like These guys?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 10:21:46 AM »
_ An AK-47 and .38-caliber Super pistol with diamond-encrusted grips found after the Nov. 2 killing of the police chief of the northern state of Sonora as he walked into a hotel about two miles south of the Arizona border.

_ A .38-caliber Super pistol seized a year ago when Mexican special forces captured a top Sinaloa cartel lieutenant, Alfredo Beltran Leyva, and three members of his security team in Culiacan.

Who the heck buys a .38 super with the express intent for using it in a crime?  Seriously?

You can't exactly go down to the nearest sporting goods store to get ammo.

Obviously a stolen gun, or one bought in a private party transfer just to get "a gun, any gun" rather than through a straw purchase.

I like how "Super" these guns are in the story though, and how the diamond-encrusted grips (yeah right.... probably zircs) made one extra-specially dangerous.

Those are the first two .38 Supers I've heard of being used in crimes.  It's gotta be about as rare as a Deagle in .440 Corbon turning up for the same reason...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »
I would imagine Mexicans would buy .38 Supers.

.38 Super is extremely popular in Mexico.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »
ONE rifle came from the US. The rest of the rifles, and definitely the grenades would have come from the Mexican military.

very strong assertion, unsubstantiated but strong

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
Who the heck buys a .38 super with the express intent for using it in a crime?  Seriously?

You can't exactly go down to the nearest sporting goods store to get ammo.

Obviously a stolen gun, or one bought in a private party transfer just to get "a gun, any gun" rather than through a straw purchase.

I like how "Super" these guns are in the story though, and how the diamond-encrusted grips (yeah right.... probably zircs) made one extra-specially dangerous.

Those are the first two .38 Supers I've heard of being used in crimes.  It's gotta be about as rare as a Deagle in .440 Corbon turning up for the same reason...

In Mexico, you can't have handguns (dunno about rifles) chambered in military calibers. Hence, .38 Super is popular down there, but not so much here.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 11:09:26 AM »
In Mexico, you can't have handguns (dunno about rifles) chambered in military calibers. Hence, .38 Super is popular down there, but not so much here.

;/

Which is why there are no AK's, AR's or 9mm handguns at all in mexico?

Who even makes a .38 super besides Colt?  It's a boutique weapon as far as I can tell.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
Who even makes a .38 super besides Colt?  It's a boutique weapon as far as I can tell.

Kimber, Springfield Armory, Tanfoglio, Astra, Llama, Star, Taurus, Les Baer and others I am forgetting.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 11:32:03 AM »
I would imagine Mexicans would buy .38 Supers.

.38 Super is extremely popular in Mexico.
Yep, IIRC, "military" caliber like 9mm, .45, .223, .308 and such are banned/heavily restricted for the hoi polloi of Mexico.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »

very strong assertion, unsubstantiated but strong

Right, I'm sure they bought their grenades in the US where they're far easier to get.  :rolleyes:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.