Author Topic: Cartels in Mexico's Drug War Get Guns From US  (Read 13425 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Cartels in Mexico's Drug War Get Guns From US
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
Manedwolf,

Usually we agree, so I am a bit surprised to see you supporting the "war on drugs."  For the record I do not support the abuse of anything, including intoxicants, but I believe the answer to that and just about all problems lies in self-control, responsibility, education, and a focus on the kind of tough-minded honoring of individual liberty that has been synonymous with this nation's deepest beliefs.  We must not be afraid of who we are.  You're right, the hard stuff can make you do ugly and crazy things, but better the isolated rampaging doper than a marauding pack of ruthless and venal killers; better the occasional berserker than a predatory state.  This is always the argument, isn't it?  That one "wild" person disqualifies everyone else, no matter how self-controlled, from exercising their rights?  And, let me add, you will never succeed in banning "altered states," because they are an intimately entwined with not only human deliquency but higher human aspirations.  A wise society will use wisely; a corrupted polity will use badly.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
Their argument is that we are corrupting Mexico, is it not?

Our freedom to own firearms is corrupting what would otherwise be a peaceful, lawful state?

If that isn't the worst sort of cultural blindness, hypocrisy, and self-rationalization I don't know what is. 

We will never get drug abuse under control when it becomes an integral part of ours and others' economies on such a vast scale as it is today.

Take the money out of it--that's a start.

Then we can begin to take the money out of our own national indebtedness...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »
;/

Which is why there are no AK's, AR's or 9mm handguns at all in mexico?

Who even makes a .38 super besides Colt?  It's a boutique weapon as far as I can tell.

You know that I mean legal for law abiding citizens to own.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »
Unless our government is giving the cartels the guns, I don't see how this is even remotely politics.

Moving to Round Table.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 01:47:39 PM »
Right, I'm sure they bought their grenades in the US where they're far easier to get.  :rolleyes:
Got any links? I need to stock up on grenades, assault rifles, flamethrowers and napalm. It's obvious that they would just dump it into a crate and send it right to my door too, right? After all, everyone knows there aren't any gun laws in the US :rolleyes:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Got any links? I need to stock up on grenades, assault rifles, flamethrowers and napalm. It's obvious that they would just dump it into a crate and send it right to my door too, right? After all, everyone knows there aren't any gun laws in the US :rolleyes:.

Dude, you can order it off the internetz, didn't you know that?  :O
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 12:09:12 AM »
After all, everyone knows there aren't any gun laws in the US

Exactly, like these 2 guys that were talking on my job.  They were saying how anyone can just go to a gun show and get rpgs, grenades, and such.  I aked them the last gun show they went to... answer.. "uhh never"... so I state that in the many gun shows I've been to I've never seen anything close to what they were talking about... they said I "didn't know the right people".. uh huh.

Got any links? I need to stock up on grenades, assault rifles, flamethrowers and napalm.

Actually, I think flamethrowers are legal on the federal level, if you can find or build one.

Back to OP, I'm guessing it is much easier to get weapons from the corrupt mexican military than to buy them and sneak them across the border.  BS reporting as usual.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 12:30:17 AM »
Dude, you can order it off the internetz, didn't you know that?  :O
I have yet to find any shops willing to ship overseas in an unmarked crate. Obviously they haven't heard about you guys not having any gun laws.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 03:05:33 AM »
Actually, I think flamethrowers are legal on the federal level, if you can find or build one.
\
Indeed that is correct - flamethrowers are not legally a firearm, so they're not regulated even on the same level as a pistol would be.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:41 AM »
\
Indeed that is correct - flamethrowers are not legally a firearm, so they're not regulated even on the same level as a pistol would be.

I think I would have a letter from the BATFE in hand before owning a flamethrower.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 08:05:52 AM »
I think I would have a letter from the BATFE in hand before owning a flamethrower.

Can't give you that.

This might turn out to be informative, though.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 08:34:59 AM »
Kimber, Springfield Armory, Tanfoglio, Astra, Llama, Star, Taurus, Les Baer and others I am forgetting.

Sig does as well. =D

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »
Can't give you that.

This might turn out to be informative, though.

When Deputy Cleetus arrests me for playing with my flamethrower at the local shooting hole, I'd rather have a signed letter from the BATFE on official stationary than an NFA FAQ printed from a college website.
These days its arrest first, hide the evidence of your being innocent later.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
When Deputy Cleetus arrests me for playing with my flamethrower at the local shooting hole, I'd rather have a signed letter from the BATFE on official stationary than an NFA FAQ printed from a college website.
These days its arrest first, hide the evidence of your being innocent later.

+1 on that.

A friend of mine built a "paintball flamethrower" for a paintball game... it flung paint about 50 feet and worked of the same principle as a normal flamethrower.  We considered putting a pilot light and "napalm" in it just for fun, but it wasn't worth the potential legal and safety hazards.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 10:35:43 AM »
A lot of totally unlicensed flamethrowers at Knob Creek each year. Not to mention the kid from Something Awful forums who built his own.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »
A lot of totally unlicensed flamethrowers at Knob Creek each year. Not to mention the kid from Something Awful forums who built his own.
I remember that one. Most awesome ever. Now I want to build one =D.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 12:40:42 PM »
Back to OP, I'm guessing it is much easier to get weapons from the corrupt mexican military than to buy them and sneak them across the border.  BS reporting as usual.
Well, they have drugs, we have what is probably the world's largest supply of guns. Maybe they don't want to contribute to our trade deficit.  :laugh:

I figure Mexico is lying through its teeth regarding the percentage of weapons stolen (or 'lost) from their .gov armories versus the ones they get from El Norte. They seem to be doing everything they can to foist the blame off on the gringos, as opposed to their own deep and abiding failings. America is their Fistful.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »
I call BS to the article. Why in the hell would the cartels come to the US to get overpriced semi-auto guns when every banana republic south of the border is willing to sell them what ever they want in full military dress just so they can destabilize the US?  They sure as $^!t didn't get the grenades here. I seriously doubt the guns are from here either.

The reporter wrote an article with false facts in it to gin up anti-gun sentiment.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »
I call BS to the article. Why in the hell would the cartels come to the US to get overpriced semi-auto guns when every banana republic south of the border is willing to sell them what ever they want in full military dress just so they can destabilize the US?  They sure as $^!t didn't get the grenades here. I seriously doubt the guns are from here either.

The reporter wrote an article with false facts in it to gin up anti-gun sentiment.

Over on one of the Yahoo gun boards, there's a guy (insert your own, less-complimentary phrase as a substitute for "guy") who INSISTS that the cartels' use of FN select-fire P-90s and semi-auto 5Sevens, with the real-deal AP ammo, is entirely the fault of the "lax gun laws" in the United States.  He blithely ignores the fact that civvies can't get the SS190 (standard-duty AP) ammo here, and that the P-90 and 5Seven are issue weapons for elements of the Mexican military (or that the P-90 is not available for civilian sale and that the semi-auto-only PS-90 and 5Seven are $1600+ and $1000+ rarities, respectively, here in the US), even when said documented facts are pointed out to him.

He also insists that the presence in Sinaloa-cartel hands of some seven semi-auto Kalashnikov rifles originally sold in Phoenix (no mention of HOW LONG AGO they were sold in Phoenix...) proves that the US gun market is stocking the Mexican drug cartels with their firearms, C4, and grenades (pointing out the governmental limitations of sale of military explosives like C4 and grenades to him is as futile as pointing out that Mexican drug lords using cartridges not available for sale to US civilians cannot be an indicator that our "lax gun laws" are the problem).  Don't EVEN get him started on how it's wrong to demand that the Mexicans work on border porosity from their end, either - apparently it's evil and totally wrong for us to allow the Iron River of evilnastybaduglyGUNNNZZZZ11!!!!1!one! to flow INTO Mexico, but there's absolutely no problem at all with with sending hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants across that same border in the other direction. 

Yeah, reason and logic and fact don't seem to be stock-in-trade for many of our opponents in the victim-disarmament discussion. :rolleyes:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
Yeah, reason and logic and fact don't seem to be stock-in-trade for many of our opponents in the victim-disarmament discussion

Why bother with logic and fact when you can pass off emotions, opinions, and lies as truth? It's easier than doing actual research...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:28 PM »
Over on one of the Yahoo gun boards, there's a guy (insert your own, less-complimentary phrase as a substitute for "guy") who INSISTS that the cartels' use of FN select-fire P-90s and semi-auto 5Sevens, with the real-deal AP ammo, is entirely the fault of the "lax gun laws" in the United States.  He blithely ignores the fact that civvies can't get the SS190 (standard-duty AP) ammo here, and that the P-90 and 5Seven are issue weapons for elements of the Mexican military (or that the P-90 is not available for civilian sale and that the semi-auto-only PS-90 and 5Seven are $1600+ and $1000+ rarities, respectively, here in the US), even when said documented facts are pointed out to him.

He also insists that the presence in Sinaloa-cartel hands of some seven semi-auto Kalashnikov rifles originally sold in Phoenix (no mention of HOW LONG AGO they were sold in Phoenix...) proves that the US gun market is stocking the Mexican drug cartels with their firearms, C4, and grenades (pointing out the governmental limitations of sale of military explosives like C4 and grenades to him is as futile as pointing out that Mexican drug lords using cartridges not available for sale to US civilians cannot be an indicator that our "lax gun laws" are the problem).  Don't EVEN get him started on how it's wrong to demand that the Mexicans work on border porosity from their end, either - apparently it's evil and totally wrong for us to allow the Iron River of evilnastybaduglyGUNNNZZZZ11!!!!1!one! to flow INTO Mexico, but there's absolutely no problem at all with with sending hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants across that same border in the other direction. 

Yeah, reason and logic and fact don't seem to be stock-in-trade for many of our opponents in the victim-disarmament discussion. :rolleyes:

He sounds like a well-fed troll.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 02:08:04 AM »
Ever seen a guy with an AK47 rampaging? 
Your arugment is invalid and exactly the same that the antis use in their plan to disarm us.

You've obviously never been the victim of "trigger slap" from a SAR-1.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 08:26:13 AM »
You've obviously never been the victim of "trigger slap" from a SAR-1.  =(

I mean it figuratively. 
JD

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Meth became a larger problem as other drugs got a notional amount more expensive and marginally harder to get.

Why pay for imported coke/crack when you can cook up meth in your own kitchen?

The War on Drugs, in what minimal successes it can claim, is directly responsible for the recent increase in meth use; much as heavy policing in one physical area or type of crime simply transfers that crime to other areas or fields, it doesn't reduce the total volume.

Let the potential addicts get their heroin, coke and weed safely and more cheaply and meth use will decrease.  Even the people who use have to be saying they'd like a less nasty way to get high.

Remove the illegality and use will not go up among the population but the violence, which is both directly and indirectly tied to criminalization, will decrease dramatically.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »

Flamethrowers are one thing.  Weapons that project flaming objects are another and I think the ATF has said that they may be considered as destructive devices.