Author Topic: White House plan puts bull's-eye on talk shows  (Read 11603 times)

Desertdog

• friends
White House plan puts bull's-eye on talk shows
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »
Sounds like censorship to me.  How can we make them shut down NPR, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, and all the rest of the leftwing news and other left wing forms of speech if they shut down the right wing shows.  Where are our lawyers??  I think we still have a freedom of speech and assembly left, but I am beginning towonder.

White House plan puts bull's-eye on talk shows
Posted agenda issues warning about new 'obligation' review
By Bob Unruh

The White House is promising new reviews of the "obligations" to the government by broadcasters who "occupy the nation's spectrum" just as the president has targeted conservative talk radio icon Rush Limbaugh for a public attack, raising concerns over the possible restoration of the "Fairness Doctrine," a policy that failed as unneeded and unconstitutional two decades ago.

Paul Ibrahim of NorthStarWriters.com cited Obama's warning to congressional Republicans that "you can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done" in suggesting the president has become the "driving force" behind a new "systematic" plan to "intimidate and demonize Obama's opponents."

That such a campaign was launched only days after Obama's inauguration is "tremendously perturbing," he wrote.

"Welcome to the politics of hope 'n' change. Obama's startling attempt to hang Limbaugh's scalp on the wall is a warning that the new ruler does not want unity – he demands it," Ibrahim wrote.

On Obama's agenda, according to his White House website, is the goal to "encourage diversity in media ownership."

Obama elaborates on the site that his aim is to "encourage diversity in the ownership of broadcast media, promote the development of new media outlets for expression of diverse viewpoints, and clarify the public interest obligations of broadcasters who occupy the nation's spectrum."

The plan apparently aligns with longstanding Democratic suggestions to resurrect the "Fairness Doctrine."

The policy was abandoned in 1987 under President Reagan when there were 75 radio talk shows in the U.S. Reagan opposed the policy because it required broadcast TV and radio programs to air "opposing views" on political issues, which had the practical effect of virtually eliminating opinion programs.

Since abandonment of the Fairness Doctrine, the number of radio talk shows has risen to more than 3,000.

WND founder and editor Joseph Farah long has warned about Democrats' plans to revive restrictions on the airwaves.

"If the Democrats and their me-too Republican allies are successful at sacking talk radio, there will be no stopping them," Farah warned. "Broadcast will be first. Then they will go after the Internet with taxes and new regulations and hate-crimes laws. And when they succeed at muzzling dissenting voices there, they will even turn to print. Remember, we are dealing with a neo-fascist mentality here."

Many fear the Fairness Doctrine would drive talk radio hosts – like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Michael Savage – out of business.

During the presidential campaign, spokesman Michael Ortiz  indicated Obama thought the debate was "a distraction."

But author Brad O'Leary examined Obama's legal and organizational attempts to silence media detractors during the presidential race and came to a different conclusion.

"Barack Obama has shown a stunning lack of tolerance for free speech throughout the course of [his] campaign," said O'Leary. "His presidency, combined with supermajorities for Democrats in Congress, would almost certainly bring back the so-called 'Fairness Doctrine' and allow the Democrats to snuff out any broadcasters with whom they disagree."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., affirmed her support to Human Events reporter John Gizzi for a "Fairness" policy, and Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., told radio host Jim Villanucci, "I would want this station and all stations to have to present a balanced perspective and different points of view, instead of always hammering away at one side of the political [spectrum]."

Ibrahim noted the president's public verbal condemnation of Limbaugh makes clear his "rejection" of the old "Bush" politics.

"You see, President Bush did not launch assaults on private citizens, nor did he ever label anyone as 'unpatriotic' for disagreeing with him. Thus, Obama and his friends are now effecting the change they promised. Welcome to their 'new' politics," he wrote.

The National Review's Byron York said Obama's criticism of Limbaugh makes it appear he considers the talk host "the true leader of the Republican opposition."

York said Limbaugh responded that Obama was trying to make the arguments about the radio show instead of Obama's actual plans.

"To make the argument about me instead of his plan makes sense from his perspective," Limbaugh told York. "Obama's plan would buy votes for the Democrat Party, in the same way FDR's New Deal established majority power for 50 years of Democrat rule, and it would also simultaneously seriously damage any hope of future tax cuts.

"I believe his stimulus is aimed at re-establishing 'eternal' power for the Democrat Party rather than stimulating the economy because anyone with a brain knows this is NOT how you stimulate the economy," Limbaugh continued. "If I can be made to serve as a distraction, then there is that much less time debating the merits of this TRILLION dollar debacle."

Limbaugh added: "One more thing, Byron. Your publication and website have documented Obama's ties to the teachings of Saul Alinksy while he was community organizing in Chicago. Here is Rule 13 of Alinksy's Rules for Radicals: 'Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.'"

Michael G. Franc, writing on the National Review's "The Corner" blog, noted that attorney general nominee Eric Holder also has refused to commit to opposing to Fairness Doctrine.

Obama's choice to head his FCC transition team, Democrat Henry Rivera, added to fear in media circles that the Fairness Doctrine might return to silence conservative talk radio.

Brian Maloney of the blog The Radio Equalizer said in his post "Meet Talk's Executioner" he believes Rivera will use his position to bring back the law for that very purpose.

Rivera, according to Maloney, "is expected to lead the push to dismantle commercial talk radio that is favored by a number of Democratic Party senators. Rivera will play a pivotal role in preventing critics from having a public voice during Obama's tenure in office."

john828

Re: White House plan puts bull's-eye on talk shows
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
ok, I am ignorant, please educate me:  what exactly is this Fairness doctrine?
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »
Google is you friend.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

john828

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »
thank you for not supporting my laziness.

Google is you friend.

Actually, most of my friends have forsaken me, and just yesterday, my dog farted in my general direction.  Be all that as it may, I will try Google again and see if it will be as cooperative as my last six girlfriends.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »
Here's one...http://www.heritage.org/research/regulation/em368.cfm

Another...http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/fairness.html

And yet another...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

And, don't make the mistake of thinking that NBC/CBS/ABC and their ilk would ever have to have a right-wing guy like Rush or whoever on their show...the news channels supporting the Dems are always fair and balanced...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:07 AM »
clarify the public interest obligations of broadcasters

Alinsky would be proud. That may be the single best bit of NewSpeak to come out of the entire Obama saga.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »
Don't worry, there's plenty more to come. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Throw a blanket over talk radio then move on to roping the internet.  And don't say it can't be done.  Canada is implementing a dry run as we speak.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »
Throw a blanket over talk radio then move on to roping the internet.  And don't say it can't be done.  Canada is implementing a dry run as we speak.
Canada?  Look at China, they are past the dry run stage, with help from American companies to boot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »
Didn't Biden say during the campaign that they were going to change what we listen to if they won?

Guess they are going to keep at least one campaign promise.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »
I think this would be pretty easy to defeat in court.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
Barack Hussein Obama will be appointing not just SCOTUS justices, but appeals and other court judges, too.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 08:58:52 AM »

The Fairness Doctrine survived more than a few court challenges, based on the principle that the feds had the authority to regulate what was said on airwaves "owned" by the government and licensed for use by broadcasters.  If Obama goes down the "improving diversity" route, it's even more likely to survive.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »
They can have my podcast when they pry it from my cold, dead-battery...ipod... Wait...

castle key

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »
ok, I am ignorant, please educate me:  what exactly is this Fairness doctrine?

This "Fairness Doctrine" is a great example of how you can put a pleasant sounding label on a bunch of BS and get a huge majority of the sheeple to support something they know nothing about.

We need to close the "fairness doctrine loophole" and do away with "assault speech."
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »

Don't forget Australia....

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 10:43:56 AM »

I'd personally put my faith in millions of hackers over a federal IT project.

In the mother of all ironies, the US government has sponsored privacy programs like TOR and such.  Mainly for use by dissenters in China.  Just as useful here in the states.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
I'd personally put my faith in millions of hackers over a federal IT project.

I don't doubt that a clever man could circumvent most of the restrictions the Feds would put in place. But why should I have to?  Also, there are lots of worthwhile people I'd like to read and communicate with on the web, but many of them probably aren't willing or able to circumvent any restrictions.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »
I don't doubt that a clever man could circumvent most of the restrictions the Feds would put in place. But why should I have to?  Also, there are lots of worthwhile people I'd like to read and communicate with on the web, but many of them probably aren't willing or able to circumvent any restrictions.

Ever notice that really nasty government IT projects have a tendency of not working? 

One, the most talented IT folks, especially hackers, generally have a dislike of Big Brother ism.
Two, there are oh so many ways to cripple an IT project that look like normal bugs.

Something to chew on.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
All of this means one thing, and one thing alone...

The Democrats, for years, haven't been able to get any traction going with liberal talk shows. Conservatives virtually rule the airways, and they're pissed and whining about it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »

The Democrats, for years, haven't been able to get any traction going with liberal talk shows. Conservatives virtually rule the airways, and they're pissed and whining about it.

Well it's simple. The Democrats think that the Republicans have an unfair advantage with these talk shows who are obviously pro-conservative.

They honestly don't think that the rest of the media is blatantly pro-liberal. They think they are "middle of the road."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

Well, yes. Satellite was a glaring example, and still is. Side by side channels, one button press away, no regional issues of reception. Perfectly level playing field.

People chose Right over Left by something like 9 to 1. They HATE that fact.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »
It looks like the Dems are moving past the Fairness Doctrine and implementing the One-ness Doctrine...in honor of his One-ness, of course....  :angel:

Time to dust off the old printing presses and shortwave radios....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
The ULTIMATE GOAL - HEED YE SHEEP AND FOLLOW THE ANNOINTED ONE
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »
Something tells me they noticed how much the media beat up on President Bush and they don't want the same to happen to President Obama.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536