Author Topic: Bounty Offered in Florida  (Read 2932 times)

• friend
Bounty Offered in Florida
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:05:11 AM »
I read this and the first thing that popped into my head was: "How do the police get the gun?" 

Do they knock on the door and ask for the gun?

Do they get a search warrant?

Do they claim its an offense against public safety and do a warrantless entry claiming exigent circumstances?

Do they wait for the person to be outside and hope he has the gun with him?

Last I knew, an anonymous tip is insufficent grounds for police action.  The USSC said so in Florida v. JL., 529 US 266 (2000) which involved a Terry Stop based on an anonymous tip that a person had a gun on him at a bus stop.

Here's the article:

Get $1,000 for reporting illegal guns
Originally posted on: Monday, January 26, 2009 by Kegan Feeny
Last updated on: 1/26/2009 5:14:11 PM

FORT MYERS: Pick up the phone, report an illegal firearm and pad your wallet by a $1,000 - that's the crux of a new program being unveiled by Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers.

The new "Illegal Gun Bounty Program" has been in the works for months. It just so happens that it was unveiled on a day Southwest Floridians were reminded of the importance of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, on a day when police say armed fugitive Arthur Coleman tried to run over an officer.

"Arthur Coleman was in possession of a firearm that was stolen from a Lee County Sheriff's deputy. Arthur Coleman is the exact reason why we need the public's help in getting this program launched," said Crime Stoppers coordinator Trish Routte.

The bounty program is a new push to get guns off the streets, offering up to $1,000 for tips that lead to the seizure of illegal weapons.

Last year, the Fort Myers Police Department took 342 guns out of the hands of criminals. That might be part of the reason the city saw a 15-percent drop in violent crime.

But Police Chief Doug Baker wants to shrink that number even more.

"I just don't believe that's enough. I mean looking at this table," Baker said, showing a collection of confiscated guns, "I mean this is a regular thing. It's important for us to make sure we're maintaining safety in our community."
According to Baker, not only is the number of guns confiscated growing, the weapons themselves are getting bigger and more powerful.

"We've had a number of cases where you've got 40 to 60 rounds fired within a couple seconds," Baker said.

Law enforcement agencies throughout Southwest Florida are part of the bounty program.
If you have information about an illegal weapon, you can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS to cash in, and bring home your reward of up to $1,000.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=25357&z=3

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Bounty Offered in Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
So this tool tries to run over a police officer - I'm presuming with some sort of motor vehicle - and these other tools decide the best response to the situation is to offer a grand for snitching out someone's gun.

Did I get that right?

I think my head is going to 'splode!  Maybe I'll just stop thinking, like that second bunch of tools.  It migt make life easier to live with.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »
So this tool tries to run over a police officer - I'm presuming with some sort of motor vehicle - and these other tools decide the best response to the situation is to offer a grand for snitching out someone's gun.
Ridiculous, but not unprecedented - one of New York's former mayors (David Dinkins?) called for more stringent gun laws as a response to the fatal stabbing of a tourist . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:13:52 AM »
40 to 60 rounds fired within a couple of seconds? Gee, what has that RPM except a completely illegal machine gun, Mr. chief? Shouldn't this be BATFE's jurisdiction? Anyone want to contact them and inform them that this chief apparently failed to inform them of a federal firearms offense he knew was going on?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
Last year, the Fort Myers Police Department took 342 guns out of the hands of criminals. That might be part of the reason the city saw a 15-percent drop in violent crime.

[sincerity] That's completely stupid! Why are they going after violent criminals? They should be going after law-abiding citizens who go to gun shows! [/sincerity]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
"Arthur Coleman was in possession of a firearm that was stolen from a Lee County Sheriff's deputy. Arthur Coleman is the exact reason why we need the public's help in getting this program launched," said Crime Stoppers coordinator Trish Routte.

uhh
Read the underlined part, seems to me that if he stole the firearm from a police officer than it was never a "gun on the street" and this program would have absolutely no effect in this situation.

IMO these types of programs are a good idea. With one catch. You report somebody as having an illegal gun and it turns out they don't, or turns out their gun is legal, than you(the person who reported) should face a legal penalty and be subject to a civil lawsuit from the person you snitched on(if he can prove damages(ex. he got harrased severely by the police)).
Good idea to encourage people to report illegal behavior but there should be significant penalties for those who falsely report.

zombienerd

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »
40 to 60 rounds fired within a couple of seconds? Gee, what has that RPM except a completely illegal machine gun, Mr. chief? Shouldn't this be BATFE's jurisdiction? Anyone want to contact them and inform them that this chief apparently failed to inform them of a federal firearms offense he knew was going on?

You DO realize that machine guns are NOT illegal to own and use, right?

It is illegal to import or manufacture a NEW machine gun since 1986 without a license.

You can, if you can afford one, walk into a Class 3 Firearms dealer, and purchase any machine gun they have for sale.  All it takes is a $200 tax stamp to pay off the ATF.

Although, I think he was referring to Multiple guns in multiple people's hands firing rapidly, not machine weapons.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
Manedwolf knows that, rest assured.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!